SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:27 PM
United States, TN, Hixson
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Discussion
My x525 build thread

Hey everyone, I'm starting to feel over my head a bit here, so I figured I'd post up in here and see what advice I can get.

I bought THIS the other day from ricekilla. Won't be here until Thursday.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT:Here are the final parts I used:
  • iPower 2217-9 motors
  • Turnigy Plush 30A ESCs
  • HK quad power distribution board
  • Spektrum AR7010 7 channel receiver w/ satellite
  • LiPo battery alarm from ebay
  • (1) Zippy 3s 2650mAH and (2) Sky Lipo 3s 4000mAH batteries
  • Gemfan props 10x4.5
  • Ordering a KK2.0 FC Used a Witespy Flip MWC multiwii

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My first goal is to get it flying stable without any FPV gear, get practice flying it LOS.

Planning on using my DX6i for now.

So, I know I'm going to need a receiver, power dist board, wire, connectors, batteries, charger, shrink wrap, heat gun, soldering iron, solder, flux, 3rd hand, zip ties.
  1. Where is a good place to buy all the random stuff (connectors, wire, soldering supplies)?
  2. Should I use 18AWG high strand silicone for all my power wire?
  3. Which PDB should I use?
  4. Will I need a programmer card for the ESCs?
  5. Which of those three flight controllers should I use on the initial build and what will I need to set it up? (I think one of the KKs is the one I should be using; The Worthox sounds way too complicated for my first one and I think it needs an Arduino.) Just going to get a KK2.0 LCD for now.
  6. Will I need prop adapters and will the props and motors I bought be alright for what I'm doing?
  7. What other hardware (screws, or ANYTHING) am I going to need that I'm fogetting?
  8. Should I scrap the x525 idea and just buy an HT-FPV frame?

I've had a hard time getting good examples of x525 builds. I haven't even figured out where people are mounting the battery and cameras.

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do still, I know. But if anyone has any info off the top of their head, I would greatly appreciate anyone sharing.

I will keep this thread updated when I start the actual build as well, and hopefully someone down the line can learn from it.

EDIT: Found THIS LINK with info on these motors. Am I reading this right? Looks to me like it says I need 40A ESCs for these motors. Max current on the motors on that same chart is 16.80A and the 18A plush ESCs I have are rated for 18A continuous, 22A burst.
Also, I have two sets of props, one are 9x4.7, other are 10x4.5.

So, let's break this down...
  • With the ESCs, motors, and props I have, is that a good setup to start with? IF NOT, what do I need to swap out? Prefer cheapest method, but I do want it to be FPV-ready with regards to the ESC/motor/prop configuration.
  • Still need advice on power dist. board, how to mount components (ESC, PDB, Rx), and where to buy hardware and WHAT hardware to use to mount stuff, screws, tape, standoffs, etc.
schott1984 is offline Find More Posts by schott1984
Last edited by schott1984; Dec 18, 2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: New questions
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, TX, Cypress
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
I like mine. its rock solid stable with the KK2 board (LED). Very crash resistant too. At least after you change out the motor mounts. The KK2 card takes care of the ESC, Calibration etc.. Great starter kit.

Wire you need minimum 14 AWG. even bigger coming off your battery the better. I do most of my RC shopping online at Hobby Kong.
bobfa is offline Find More Posts by bobfa
Old Dec 02, 2012, 08:21 PM
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfa View Post
I like mine. its rock solid stable with the KK2 board (LED). Very crash resistant too. At least after you change out the motor mounts. The KK2 card takes care of the ESC, Calibration etc.. Great starter kit.

Wire you need minimum 14 AWG. even bigger coming off your battery the better. I do most of my RC shopping online at Hobby Kong.
So which of the 2 kk boards I got should I use?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
The KK2 Has the LED. Here is the link
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:34 PM
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
I will already have the KK V1 and KK blackboard, would prefer to use one of them if possible vs. buying another. But the selling nor I know which firmware is on the blackboard...
Old Dec 03, 2012, 07:18 AM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
My first quad I used the KK V1 and it was horrible to setup. Flies crappy, allot of manual trim. The KK2 was a different story, so easy, and stable. The KK V1 will work, but I had to trial allot of versions to flash in order to it compatible to my ESCs. The KK2 is a breeze 100% improvement. No flashing, and LED interface is great. Save the KK1 for another cheap build...
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:04 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,681 Posts
I am just completing mine with the KK2 board, the KK2 board was not expensive so I ordered a second one for later on.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:27 PM
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromaniac View Post
I am just completing mine with the KK2 board, the KK2 board was not expensive so I ordered a second one for later on.
Think I'm going to buy a KK2 and start there, then...
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:57 AM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
Think I'm going to buy a KK2 and start there, then...
You won't be disappointed, a flying buddy brought his 525 and kk2 around last night, he was very happy how easy the kk2 was to set up.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:13 AM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Be sure to flash it up to 1.5 version if you want the auto level to work. Its super stable without, but with auto level is good if you are going out of control or have camera onboard. You will need that usb cable HK sell..
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Joined Mar 2010
4,681 Posts
Quote:
Be sure to flash it up to 1.5 version if you want the auto level to work. Its super stable without, but with auto level is good if you are going out of control or have camera onboard. You will need that usb cable HK sell..
How do you flash it ?.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Jan 2012
399 Posts
Flashing the KK2: How to update your firmware (4 min 51 sec)
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:27 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
I think you mean LCD Liquid Crystal Display

Quote:
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Old Dec 06, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined May 2012
587 Posts
The KK2 is great for noobs :P easy to set up and such also if you get the X525 Kit you need these the stock ones are crap

http://www.ebay.com/itm/160757154600...84.m1423.l2649

Here is a couple pics to give you an idea does not need to be just like mine to work but will give you some basic ideas to work with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by schott1984 View Post
Hey everyone, I'm starting to feel over my head a bit here, so I figured I'd post up in here and see what advice I can get.

I bought THIS the other day from ricekilla. Won't be here until Thursday.

My first goal is to get it flying stable without any FPV gear, get practice flying it LOS.

Planning on using my DX6i for now.

So, I know I'm going to need a receiver, power dist board, wire, connectors, batteries, charger, shrink wrap, heat gun, soldering iron, solder, flux, 3rd hand, zip ties.
  1. Where is a good place to buy all the random stuff (connectors, wire, soldering supplies)?
  2. Should I use 18AWG high strand silicone for all my power wire?
  3. Which PDB should I use?
  4. Will I need a programmer card for the ECSs?
  5. Which of those three flight controllers should I use on the initial build and what will I need to set it up? (I think one of the KKs is the one I should be using; The Worthox sounds way too complicated for my first one and I think it needs an Arduino.)
  6. Will I need prop adapters and will the props and motors I bought be alright for what I'm doing?
  7. What other hardware (screws, or ANYTHING) am I going to need that I'm fogetting?
  8. Should I scrap the x525 idea and just buy an HT-FPV frame?

I've had a hard time getting good examples of x525 builds. I haven't even figured out where people are mounting the battery and cameras.

Anyway, I have a lot of research to do still, I know. But if anyone has any info off the top of their head, I would greatly appreciate anyone sharing.

I will keep this thread updated when I start the actual build as well, and hopefully someone down the line can learn from it.
gitit20 is offline Find More Posts by gitit20
Last edited by gitit20; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:43 PM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 07:19 AM
Joined Nov 2012
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitit20 View Post
....Here is a couple pics to give you an idea does not need to be just like mine to work but will give you some basic ideas to work with...
Thanks. Big help.
Where are your ESCs?
What's with the standoffs and extra plate above kk2?
You using a PDB or just a harness?