HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:59 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Discussion
Wright Model B

It only stands to reason that with the Centenial of Flight just a week away that the Wright airplanes should be at the forfront of all things aviation. But when the Centenial falls behind us we still can't forget the Wrights and their airplanes.
Having done the 1903 and 1909 Flyers, it makes sense that the next generation of Wright airplanes need to be addressed. For that reason, I decided to move ahead on the Wright Model "B" Flyer.
P. Tritle is offline Find More Posts by P. Tritle
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:05 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wright Model B

The 1/9 scale model is of the standard 1910 Model "B", which is the first Wright airplane design to abandon the canard, and was also the Wright Companies first production airplane.
The all wood model, except for the tailframe which was built from aluminum tubing, will be powered by two MPI 4:1 drives using their new counter rotating props.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:11 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wright Model B

The Model "B" Flyer is also the first Wright airplane to incorperate a wheeled under caridge , which eliminated the need for the catapault.
At this point, framing is basically complete and but for a couple of minor additions is ready for cover. I'll be using the 2 3/4" Dare spoked wheel kits for the undercaridge, and Nelson Litefilm for cover.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:12 PM
Central California
Joined Aug 2003
1,137 Posts
Great news. Looking forward to it. I built the Revell kit of the '03 Flyer and am building the Guillows kit now.

Best regards.
Ledbetter is offline Find More Posts by Ledbetter
Old Dec 12, 2003, 01:16 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wright Model B

Once the project is complete and flight tested it will be added to the line of laser cut Wright Aeroplane kits from Dare Distributors.
Keep an eye out for updates as the project progresses.
PAT
Old Dec 12, 2003, 04:41 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
5,738 Posts
Awsome ! Pat. Nice to see the undercambered wings on this one. Without interplane struts, the upper wing looks like it's levitating in the photos.

Will this one have functional wing warping? I have the Dare 03 flyer. It is a great design, but I don't care for the dihedral required with rudder only.

Larry
Lnagel is offline Find More Posts by Lnagel
Last edited by Lnagel; Dec 12, 2003 at 04:57 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 06:19 PM
Dallas, Tx
Joined Jan 2003
415 Posts
Hey Pat-

Is this the next one to get 1st place in the scale modeling contest at the next year's Deaf? By the way, I am still desinging my scale airplane, have some doubts about finishing it by the next years deaf!

Send more pics!
Arnold
ArnoldC is offline Find More Posts by ArnoldC
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:04 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Larry, Glad you like it. I too prefer the U-cambered wing. It's the same airfoil I used on the '09 and ir worked great on that one, should do well here too.
I opted not to wing warp the p-type for the sake of simplicity. Although the way the wing is designed it sure would be possable for the more adventuriose types out there to try a warper.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:07 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Larry, Glad you like it. I too prefer the U-cambered wing. It's the same airfoil I used on the '09 and it worked great on that one, should do well here too.
I opted not to wing warp the p-type for the sake of simplicity. Although the way the wing is designed it sure would be possable for the more adventurous types out there to try a warper.
Actually, the wing is floating over the fuselage, that's how you know it's light enough to work!
PAT
Old Dec 12, 2003, 10:10 PM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Arnold, Sounds good, stay with it, and send photos when you get underway.
PAT
PS Sorry about the double post, I haven't figured out how that's happening yet?!?
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:43 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wright Model B

Progress is being made on the "B" Flyer. Framing is complete and the cover is on!
Old Dec 13, 2003, 09:46 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Wright Model B

I just got the satin clearcoat sprayed on the Litefilm to kill that high shine. While that's drying I'll start cutting out all those struts and getting ready to jig up the wings.
PAT
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:01 AM
Convert!
Los Angeles, CA (UCLA)
Joined Nov 2002
3,889 Posts
sweet!
rroback is offline Find More Posts by rroback
Old Dec 15, 2003, 12:13 AM
Grafton, Ohio
Joined Sep 2003
760 Posts
Outstanding work as usual Pat. You give us strength to continue with our own creations when we see you produce these works of art!! Question, on your 60" span Fairchild model that was in the "Flying models magazine" a while back, what was the amount of Dihedral you used? Also on your Piper cub of the same dimensions? Thanks again for ther incentive to creat as well!
OhioMike is offline Find More Posts by OhioMike
Old Dec 15, 2003, 08:38 AM
Albuquerque NM
Joined Oct 2003
8,463 Posts
Mike, Thanks for the kind words, Being able to make some one happy is really what makes it all worth while.
The dihedral angle I use on all those cabin high wing designs is 4 1/2 degrees. A good rule of thumb is to set a 1 1/4" block 18" out from the dihedral break on each panel and you'll be right on track.
PAT