HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:22 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Question
Can you charge 2 6S Lipo in parallel if both 6S are 2S+4S wired in series?

I need some 6S 5000mah batteries for a new plane but don't have any (yet!) However, since I already own a couple of 4S 5000mah batteries (Hyperion 25c), I am debating whether to buy some 2S 5000Mah (also Hyperion 25c) and wire them in series to get 6s, or if I should just buy 6s in the first place for simplicity. (FWIW, My current set-up is an FMA Powerlab 8, 500W power supply and parallel charge boards from progressiveRC - very convenient!)

Wiring 2S+4S in series to get 6S makes sense to me, but connecting this set-up to a charger (still wired as 6S in series) is where I get confused - specifically, how should you connect the two different size balance plugs? And is it possible to parallel charge two or more of these (in-series 6S) set-ups?

-would you simply be able to connect all the 2S and 4S balance plugs directly to the parallel charge board?
-or, do you need to wire your own balance plug adapter(s) to get: 2S balance plug + 4S balance plug to become one single 6S balance plug ?
-or is there some other already available adapter or solution (I did re-read page 17 of the revolectrix PL8 manual, "Parallel charging", but it said same cell count needed for all packs.)

No doubt the easiest option is to separately parallel charge the 4S packs together and then the 2S packs afterward... or just get 6S in the first place.

Thanks very much for any suggestions!
os2 is online now Find More Posts by os2
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:01 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
You can charge these connected together 6S packs if you add an adapter to the balance plugs.
You can either buy or make 2S + 4S to 6S adapters.
I would just leave these adapters connected permanently.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
You can either buy or make 2S + 4S to 6S adapters.
Thanks for the reply. Buying a ready-made balance adapter would be great since I'm sure I would mess up trying to wire one correctly on my own. So far though, I've only been able to find 2 x 3S into 6S and 3S+4S into 7S balance adapters... Would you happen to know of a source for 2S+4S into 6S? Much appreciated!
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:14 AM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Would you happen to know of a source for 2S+4S into 6S? Much appreciated!
No I do not, sorry.

You may have to make one.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:34 AM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
No problem. I appreciate your replies. Any thoughts as to where I might find a wiring diagram for a 2S+4S into 6S balance adapter? I saw the link below on another thread (very useful!), but it seems to only show how to wire balance connectors for packs of the same count... Thanks again.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by os2 View Post
No problem. I appreciate your replies. Any thoughts as to where I might find a wiring diagram for a 2S+4S into 6S balance adapter? I saw the link below on another thread (very useful!), but it seems to only show how to wire balance connectors for packs of the same count... Thanks again.

http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/lipo.html
It shows 3s + 2s, you should be able to get the idea from that. A 4s + 2s would be exactly the same just with one extra wire on the 3s side of the diagram.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
os2
AMA 73766
United States, VT
Joined Jun 2012
113 Posts
Thanks. Is this what a wiring diagram should look like? (One question: the Hyperion balance adapters in post #3 above show the red balance wires from each LiPo connected together at the Y balancer port, while the link schematic only shows one LiPo red balance wire is connected and the other is specifically highlighted as removed/cut (I set at HIgh Amp Hyperion 3S+2S).)

If not more complicated than this, I might actually be able to make one of these.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:55 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Close.
Just scratch the red wire leaving the 2S pack balance plug and you got it.