HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:14 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,060 Posts
Good to hear Nick! Will you be able to join us?

I am hoping we can do the following:

AVB's Forrester:
AVB
Janet
Andrew P

Asto's Forrester:
Asto
Rob Duff
Baz

Jono's Nissan:
Jono
Gareth
Dave P

Neal's or my my car:
Neal
Alex
Conrad
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:18 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,060 Posts
Was great having you John! Great meeting you and I am so happy you had a good time! Great you could get a new PB when you were here =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:50 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
Glad to see you mexicans got home safely. Keep cutting dizzy circles Aus, and throw that white hat away.
Well done on a excellent model Josh I think we will see some big speeds out of that thing soon. Spencer called us today and has a elevator stab for you, so send him a PM.
And John Sorry you didn't get that JW of yours down to Tekapo that day you would of got some great speed with that thing.
Thanks Knut for letting me fly the Pace that was an experience. Have fun up north.
I flew Andrews Scratcho today and had a bingle on the back side .Broke the fuse. I feel terrible. I offered to fix it but he said it was ok. Really sorry Andrew. No more flying other peoples models for me.
I didn't end up buying a GoPro 3 because I couldn't find one. So I'll have to sticky tape old faithfull to my head.

Alex is trying to organize everone in cars for tomorrow but there seem to be cars short. A few fellas are getting pissed off. He's doing his best. You guys should pull your heads in a bit and chip in or give him a break. I know what it feels like to organize an event. You can't always please everyone. It takes a group of people to make things like this happen.

I spoke to him this arvo and he feels like just giving up. I say thanks Alex for making this happen. Without you this event wouldn't of taken place.
My 5 cents.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:59 AM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,228 Posts
Sorry to hear everyone cant fit in the cars fellas, bad luck with the scratcho Asto- was Andrew eyeing off your MSW after that?
It would be worth it for some of the fellas to rent a forrester or something for the day and split the cost, it would cost hardly anything between 3 uys I reckon. Good luck getting it sorted and have a choice as time up there bros!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:09 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Asto came round this morning and we "occupied" Peter's garage with planes, epoxy, sanding paper etc with regular calls to Peter ... "can I use your soldering station??" ... "Do you have any microballoons??" etc. After some grunting and sweat I got the new servo into the
DSX flap bay. The external bearing kit housing had cracked into bits and I tacked it all onto a bit of f/glass sheet, drilled it thru and hey presto it was back together! Can't get any more flap throw as (for some reason) it's top hinged and you can only bend the hinge to about 45 degrees! A bit weird but there you go. Asto patched up his bendy wing D40 fuse so it's ready to fly badly again.

We got Subway for lunch then he dropped me at the car rental place and I took off in a Forester to the airport and soon met Janet as she arrived. A very nice feeling. She was almost falling asleep so she had a rest then agreed to come up to Cass for a fly at a very scenic spot! A very cold spot too, as we found out!! Asto and the Nth Isle boys were there. It was a beautiful time and Janet quite enjoyed meeting up with some DS idiots, listening to the usual banter and sledging, and chipped in with a bit herself. But soon she hid behind the rock to get out of the cold! Asto DSed his wing, Jonno the Ellipse, and Gareth the Typhoon. I thrashed the Scratcho around for a while and then tried to do the "on the point" handcatch like Alex does, but couldn't get it in 8 attempts. Asto was standing there with a longing look on his face so I offered him a fly and he was soon DSing it, and then planted it into some trees down the backside really hard! He was really sorry but it's no big deal ... I'll probably have it back in the air tomorrow with a few battle scars! And I have the moulds! That's a good feeling.

I was trying to ring Peter so he wasn't offended that we weren't home for dinner; no answer so we packed up to go, and he suddenly arrived, bringing planes and a gourmet dinner!!! Quite unbelievable. So we sat in a historic shelter with a great view having a lovely meal, then headed back up the hill to fly! But the small amount of foggy stuff I'd seen earlier had turned into a vast cloud streaming over the ridge. The guys kept flying a bit between the breaks. We watched Peter launch his rather daggy heavy JW60 and it flew into cloud and went totally out of sight then reappeared in time for a perfect landing! Man it was cold and Janet was wearing about 4 jumpers and gloves! Finally we headed off, looking forward to a good day tomorrow!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 13, 2012, 02:53 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,220 Posts
Alex thanks for organizing such a sweet as experience. Flying in NZ is something that I would love to do again but with 2 kids at home somthing that won't happen overnight. I Reccommend getting together and renting a car, this is how I got around with asto and reduced the cost of my trip significantly.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:10 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
Hey Asto, 45 minutes in Peter's garage armed with a syringe full of CA then some epoxied bandage ... I think she's fixed mate! See you tomorrow.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:17 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
No Alex I doubt I'll be able to make it up there, I'm actually off work sick at the moment (pneumonia) went for a drive to tekapo today and that knocked me back a bit, don't really think standing on top of a windy ridge tomorrow would be a good thing. Feel free to use the truck though.

Nick
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:51 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,060 Posts
Hey guys got it sorted.

Jono and the N.I. boys are heading off super early.

I will meet Neal, Baz, Asto and bring Conrad to Asto's place at 7am so I can quickly fix a foamy or two with my covering iron and then we can head off in the two cars as soon as possible. Neal has kindly offered to take his car to Fairlie. Thanks mate =) I would fall asleep on the way if I was driving or not! I need a snooze on the way after finishing tonight at now 1am! maybe 4 hours sleep for me, urgh...

Need to pick up Nick's Mazda at Fairlie so we can get up the hill. Thanks mate! Maybe you can join us for Pizza at Fairlie if you think that place is any good?
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 04:08 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,060 Posts
Also keeping an eye on Wainui for Saturday:

http://www.windfinder.com/forecast/le_bons_bay

Looks good! When I went 341mph on the Kinetic test-flight, forecast was showing 20-22kts
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:42 AM
The wheels touch down FIRST??
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Jun 2009
24,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
I got the video of Tuesday edited last night and it's uploaded successfully overnight. Sorry it's so long. At 11pm I didn't feel like working my way back through it to cull it back. This is a really fun watch, and the highlight I think is seeing so many guys in light air furballing fun, with the Scratcho lapping around over and through them. It culminates with the BBQ at Andrew's and some night flying. Classic stuff.

http://vimeo.com/55431765
What a top vid, Andrew

You guy's have got it all over there in NZ.

Watching the furball/DS clips and that road wind it's way through those unfknblvbl hills makes me wanna pack my Bike and do some touring. One day...some day...

Dude - you have to eat some of the magnificent SeaFood they have there on the other side of the ditch.

BJ

PS - have you managed to find the Footrots Flat dawg yet? LoL
BJ64 is online now Find More Posts by BJ64
Old Dec 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,433 Posts
About to wake Janet up with a cup of tea to soften the blow a bit. It's only 4am where her brain is centred.

Hey Asto I realized why the light Scratcho tipped and flicked when you DSed it. Remember you wanted me to leave it on high rates? I've never DSed it on that rate - its a frontside mode with full span big deflections etc, so I'm sure that's why it flicked on you. bugga!

BJ, thanks! Still looking for the footrot flats dog!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 01:44 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,228 Posts
Good luck up there fellas!
I put the Kinetic wing together yesterday to show crystal and boy, its so big and SOOO heavy, and thats with the carbon joiners!
Get some great speeds today- May your laps be fast and your landings be soft!
Old Dec 13, 2012, 05:44 PM
Arrarrar!
Joined Jan 2010
3,228 Posts
Any speeds yet?
Old Dec 13, 2012, 06:03 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
Any speeds yet?
NO... Now go to work and stop getting on groups every 10 sec..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics