HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:34 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,486 Posts
The vid from Monday has finally uploaded. We loved watching it last night and I hope it's as much fun for those of you who weren't lucky enough to be there! There's wind and I just got a message from Asto and Mick - they're picking me up soon.

It's still converting so it could be half an hour till you can see it.

Arrival and Tekapo 10Dec2012 (16 min 10 sec)
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,221 Posts
Well been up at Cass ridge for a little while now. I have maidened the speedo and DS'ed to something like 61mph before hitting the tree on the bottom turn and ripping the rear bolt through the wing.

At the moment josh and AvB are searching through thick bush for asto's needle and I am down the front spotting while Knut is flying overhead with the pace and Alex???? Is lapping round the back
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:55 PM
Hundredaire
Newcastle Australia
Joined Oct 2008
1,404 Posts
Another great vid AVb.
It's good to see all the familiar faces.
I may have to join in the fun next year.
mams1 is online now Find More Posts by mams1
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:03 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,025 Posts
Thanks to u AvE!!!

Didn't expect to c Stratos carnage in that vid!

Great video, great bunch of guys, and it looks like a great place to fly.

daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:03 PM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,355 Posts
Great vid as always mate..
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 11, 2012, 07:13 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
20 Posts
Enjoying the reports Andrew. Sorry to hear about the plane. Hope you get some more good flying in.
windsock is offline Find More Posts by windsock
Old Dec 11, 2012, 09:05 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,035 Posts
Great vids. So good to see everyone there. Got to love a ds fest!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:04 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
We have to get you here next time, Eric. Would be a priviledge to fly with you!

I had to leave the guys up at Cass in dying winds, blinkin annoying! I have never seen a dying NorthEast wind here! Weather is not playing ball recently!

I may move the next DS fest to Oct 2013 or January 2014. Seems a better time for predictable wind
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:14 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Looking at forecasts now and deciding a plan of attack for the rest of the week. Will post here the plan so stay tuned!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:36 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Right...

Tomorrow, Thursday, not much happening. Similar forecast to today, so light Cass DS possible.

Friday, Good looking Tekapo forecast. Heading to Tekapo as early as possible for the day. hopefully leaving by 7:30am. Coming back in the evening, stopping for a nice meal somewhere. Looks like our biggest forecast for the DS week as the forecast shows for the moment.

Saturday, Good looking Wainui forecast. Heading to Wainui at about 10am.

Sunday, Looks like a light-medium NE day, so heading to Wainui for the afternoon.

That's it for now
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:18 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,486 Posts
Asto and Mick picked me up mid-morning and we headed straight up to Cass Ridge. Alex, Josh and John were already there and Josh had been flying the Scorcher plank and got 125. He reckons it looked really good but he finally clipped the tree (that darn tree!) and it spun in pretty hard, bending up a tip quite badly, due to the polyurethane crushing etc. He reckons he’ll cut the wing shorter!

Bazza and Knut came along, and also another local – Neil. I had decided that my brain was probably too mushed for flying and I would go looking for Asto’s Needle, and then found that Josh had already headed off some time ago! We had a confab with Asto and Alex to pin down the target location, and Neil and I tried finding a “path of least resistance” towards the crash site, with no success. I tried a direct line, following the “more clear” patches but the density of this scrub is really something from Middle Earth. Absolutely unbelievable. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it, and I was avoiding the bad bits!! Lots worse than lantana!

We called out and heard Josh, then saw him … he had done a great job of descending the ridge, which was partly clear on the top, but there was no way to get down and into the valley as it was a solid plaque of scrub. I went along to the top of the closer ridge, which descended into a razorback rock bluff directly overlooking the crash site, and after some initial painful scrubbashing was able to get along and down the ridge. Totally different to home where a rocky sharp ridge would be bare on top. Over here it’s almost all covered in thick mats of vines, moss, wild blackberry and so on. Slow going and a bit of mild climbing. Kept stopping to look into the gullies for any sign of the plane, but there was none. It looked like a bonzai version of the Amazon jungle, only on a 75 degree slope. I kept getting calls from Neil to tell me where I was in relation to the target and then my phone credit ran out! So there I was, perched like an eagles nest on a rocky crag jutting out over a hundred foot drop with an incredible view and a cool breeze, ringing up … “no, I can’t remember my PIN!” and giving my credit card details etc. Funny. That 2degrees thing just sucks money.

I clambered down the far side hoping to contour back around under the bluff, but it got dangerously steep. You’d step into a mass of scrub and see a huge drop below. When I started to think this is really stupid, I went a bit further until I got “stuck” for a minute on a cliffy bit, and decided to head back. Poor old Josh had been trying another descent line, and got to an impenetrable wall of scrub; but the worst thing was he went back up a different way and spent about 40 minutes trying to make it up the last 20 metres! It was just crazy thick. At least I had my Glacier Gloves on … Josh was barehanded, and it must have hurt. I was drenched with sweat when I got back.

The rest of it was much like yesterday, but unlike yesterday the wind didn’t pick up, which Alex reckons is unusual. Andrew Palmer put the old Scratcho away in favour of his Mini Ellipse and for a while we had some MOM cross-slope chasing between him and me with the light Scratcho. Radacl Rob came up – I forgot to check out his newly painted Scratcho back in the car. He hasn’t flown his new Willow yet … soon. Knut took up his Pace Desire which I was keen to check out ... lovely plane. But tere wasn't really enough breeze to fly it, or my Compact BPV which also sat assembled in the grass today.

Another very experienced sloping local - Dale - turned up to watch for ages. Neil got out his new acquisition … a Pike Perfect, and flew it, having a good save when the lift cut out. Alex Dsed it too. At times the lift was weak, and other times OK. Jonno and Dave had been off helping Gareth with some work installation that he had to do today (they came in his work van!) but they turned up to fly their many foamies shortly after lunch (what lunch?). Andrew P astounded us by landing the Mini –Ellipse in a small area of mown grass about 80 metres away and 20 metres lower – he just put it down like it was a runway, although it was on the side of a steep hill surrounded by trees! Knut flew the big Ellipse, and we had two different Typhoons going at times. Peter F quit work early and flew his Blaster for about an hour and a half straight and DSed it for ages and ages. I was really happy with the Scratcho …it seemed to hang up well in the light lift and DSed nicely. Lovely fun but not a DS adrenaline arvo … the only things that put up the pulse rate were going down in sink, or bush bashing for the odd retrieval!

Finally it was time to say goodbyes to Josh, John and Mick who are heading home tonight; and Knut who is travelling up to Wellington. Peter and I left soon after, leaving the North Island guys still flying, as the wind seemed to be finally picking up! I’ve booked a car to hire from tomorrow and am looking forward to picking up Janet from the airport at 3pm! She’s indicated she is OK with a trip to Tekapo on Friday … miracles do happen! Then we’ll be off to go exploring and do a few hiking trails.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:03 AM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
547 Posts
The wind never did pick up again at Cass ridge but we did fly light foamies and Gareth flew his Typhoon until about 5pm getting a bit of slow DS in. At the end of the day we stood on the top and flew the foamies down to the lawn in front of the cars to see who could get closest to a particular spot, Dave won.
When we packed up we found a pair of gloves that we have here now. Let us know if you have lost a pair

Jono
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:11 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Trying to sort transport for Friday.

People that have said they are coming are as follows:

Astan Singh
Alex Hewson
Andrew Palmer
AVB
Baz
Conrad Klintworth
Dale Kerr
Dave Pope
Gareth
Janet VB
Jono Ashton
Rob Duff

With tentative bookings (awaiting work approval ):

Neal Blackie
Carl Sheppard
Dave Griffin

Can only fit max of three people per car. Need 4WDs. We have three 4WD vehicles, Jono's, AVB's and Asto's.

Dave Griffin will have his Outback, but he is awaiting work approval
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:44 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,187 Posts
Hey Jono, Dave and Gareth, what were your speeds at Tekapo??
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:59 AM
I eat only vegetarian beef
Fairlie, New Zealand
Joined Nov 2006
2,866 Posts
My 4WD may be available again on friday, as long as AvB don't rubbish it for being slow again! You townies are always in a hurry!

Nick

I have to ask, why does AP need THREE backpack sprayers?
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser