Cheers
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:22 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,087 Posts
Whoa that is sweet! Well done Josh, that Scorcher is a real credit to you. Nice flying too! And same to Asto with the Dilmawindfinda good onya mate!

Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 08, 2012, 07:41 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
Have you guys sorted out a sim card that's better than 2degrees? I still have my previous one and could top it up but that thing sucked money so bad I'd like to find something better!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:26 PM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
306 Posts
Josh's Scorcher (2 min 2 sec)

Best to watch on youtube at 720p, the quality is pretty poor here
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub
Old Dec 08, 2012, 06:11 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,709 Posts
Nice, looks like plenty of room down the back?
excelpoint is online now Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Dec 08, 2012, 10:17 PM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
Go josh!

Congrats !

Chris
daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:00 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
Well here we go again! 2:30pm, Brisbane International Airport, about to head back over to Christchurch to meet up with Alex, Asto, Josh, John, Knut, and a bunch of other DS nuts. My box is checked in, and this time I’ve brought the Wizard Compact DSX, the Wizard Compact BPV, the super-heavy Scratcho (with CG moved back), the Stratos DS, and the light Scratcho.

Here’s hoping we get some good wind and fine weather over the next 4 days! Janet arrives Thursday so I’m happy if it goes nice and calm after that! (sorry guys!!)

Hey I had a series of texts from Daboz before saying they are going flying at Norco tomorrow, expecting 50+mph winds. He said he wished I could be there and I said Oh well, I’ll just have to be content with going to Christchurch!!! He was a bit shocked and jealous and said we should put a bet on who’ll go faster (but warned Spencer is probably flying!). I said we’d beat them but have no Kinetics to fly. He reckons he’ll beat all of us with his ‘Burner anyway! So it will be good to see how the flying compares this week, on both sides of the Pacific!
Last edited by AvB; Dec 09, 2012 at 12:32 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 02:18 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,077 Posts
Hope you bring the heavy wind with you Andrew, it's been very little wind here since Friday. Looking forward to meet you in person.
Cheers
Knut
Despite the fact that I have been a bit unlucky with choice of dates I am in NZ weather wise, it has been very enjoyable to put faces to the avatars.
Today was a day we all went to Alex's flying club, where Alex was showing us what he can do with a 2m (I am guessing) electric Extra.
Most impressive display of flying. And later on in the hills he showed us how to thermal, this time with a tiny Alula. Suddenly all the lift had gone, and the Alula ended up 60-70m below the starting point. I was thinking: what a shame that was quite a nice little jigger. But Alex kept trying. It seemed like 10 min when he was finally rewarded. It was very exiting to watch. Later on he was flying his Tracer, which is an amazing moldy. Astan and Alex where the first to try the air on the NW site of Wainui. Then Jono joined in with a foamy I don't know the name of. By the time I had my Banana ready and walked up the hill every one came in to land.
I already thought the lift had gone. No the reason was, Alex and Jono had a midair. I missed it all.
The impact broke the nose of the Tracer. Both models made it back to the slope. Now I had the slope all to myself at least for a moment, till I was joined by another yellow vtail. We both couldn't hang in there for too long, it was time to come in.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Dec 09, 2012 at 04:23 AM. Reason: added text
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:14 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
Darn, midair is bad!

I am here now. In the bedroom downstairs of my wonderful generous hosts Peter and Rose F's place. I had a good flight, and as I emerged out of Christchurch International Airport with the glider box perched on the trolley I was glad to see Peter waiting for me .. then "Allo!" it was Asto as well! And Josh, Mick, John and Alex!! (hope I haven't forgotten anyone). I think there was some communication glitch and they didn't know Peter was picking me up, so I felt bad that they'd all made the trip to the airport late at night, but it was a nice conflagration anyway!

Very nice to find that my old sim card still works and still has credit! So I'm back in contact, and have skyped home from the laptop etc.

They guys are planning to drive down to Tekapo tomorrow, not expecting big wind but Josh and Mick have to go home on Wed and really want to see the place. So I'd better get to bed for an early start (it's after midnight now).
Old Dec 09, 2012, 06:48 AM
Australia, VIC, San Remo
Joined May 2010
902 Posts
Good luck boys.
damoz is offline Find More Posts by damoz
Old Dec 09, 2012, 07:15 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB View Post
Have you guys sorted out a sim card that's better than 2degrees? I still have my previous one and could top it up but that thing sucked money so bad I'd like to find something better!
The house were asto, John, josh and I are staying is very quiet with every one in bed except me. I have the joy of writing job applications due to a restructure at work and actually got a lot done tonight.

It will be an early start in the morning and I hope to get some sleep in the car on the way.

Knut, asto and I have 2 degrees SIM cards with the $19 txt combo. It provides free calls between 2 degrees, infinite txt and 500MB of data.

PM your number.

Asto and I also have viber with wifi at the house so can be contacted on our Aust numbers
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 10, 2012, 04:56 AM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,500 Posts
We had a great day out at Tekapo today. Too late for a report
Asto and Alex both had a fly of my light scorcher and they loved it I think.
Speeds were
Light scorcher- Asto 192
- Alex 175
- Josh 168

Wizard DSX - Andrew 212.

Wizard BPV - Asto 180
- Andrew 170 odd

Lots of foamy fun was had by all and both Dad (John), Mick and the north island boys had great furball action

Cheers fellas, off to bed now
josh
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:10 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
My eyes are feeling red raw and atypically, I will go to bed and not write a report tonight! It really was a great day. We didn't expect to get any/ much wind - the main aim was for the Vicco boys to get a look at the place before they go home on Wed. It was such a great thing to have it DSable from the moment we arrived till after we left. Nine of us on the hill I think and just action all day.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 10:12 AM
HB cali
Joined Apr 2006
4,027 Posts
Hey AvB

I was hoping to find a some detail relative to the text you sent me...

daboz is offline Find More Posts by daboz
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:18 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,635 Posts
If you’re just arrived somewhere tired and not sleeping well, had a headache last night and get launched onto a nice DS hill with a great bunch of guys and there’s wind, always remember to take it easy and warm yourself into it. Get out your beater plane and warm up your head and your thumbs for a while. Test out the air and be conservative.

That’s the good advice that I’d give others and which I didn’t follow at all yesterday, and I paid the price.

I’d had little sleep but after waking with a throbbing headache sometime and taking painkillers, I was finally out to it when I was woken by Alex’s message that they were on the way to pick me up. I stumbled around the room excavating glider parts and accessories from my huge suitcase and dragged myself upstairs where Peter thrust a coffee into my hand (the guy is an angel I’m sure). Where I come from, it was only 4am (7am here in NZ). It wasn’t a good feeling.

Three hours later, after a brief food and coffee stop in Fairlie, and after poking along slowly through mobs of sheep so the ewes didn't run away from the tiny lambs, we were on Tekapo Ridge. You should have heard the guys when they saw the steep bare ridge. And it only gets more impressive as you drive up. Amazingly, the low-slung Subaru Liberty that Josh and his Dad John had hired made it up the steep track without a drama. Astan’s Forester, and the X-trail from the North Isle completed the convoy.

The main aim for the trip was that Josh was determined to see the site before flying back home on Wed, so we all went. Truly, we didn’t expect much wind and from past experience there was a big chance it would be off angle. But there was a nice 12+ knots coming straight up the huge steep face when we arrived. Asto was first in the air with the combat wing that he and Alex had cut out at Graham’s workshop just the other day! (it’s great).

Light headed, tired and clumsy I chatted and shot some video and heard Alex saying he expected the wind to drop out soon, so I decided to get something into the air fast. Light Scratcho? Would have been perfect but I opted for the giant Stratos DS. The one I bought from Chris on my first US trip. It’s a lovely plane which I love not just for its amazing performance but more sentimentally as a symbol of the friendship I made with Chris on that first trip. I smile at the memory of him wagging his finger at me more than once and lecturing me … “Don’t you break my Stratos!!” after he’d sold it to me.

The wind was getting stronger … I launched it. Perfect. The boys were DSing in the normal zone so I decided to drop in and DS the other side of the cars, and in 4 laps Alex had the gun on it and yelled 145. About 4 laps later, ripping tight steep circles, it just flattened out of the bottom turn and despite full elevator, whoomped into the ground making a sound like a cupboard hitting the footpath from the first floor. I later found that the guys in the other circuit had been dumped at the same moment, breaking Asto’s new wing, and it must have been a powerful thermal suck.

What do you do when such a dumb, embarrassing, devastating thing like that happens??? For a short moment I was the world’s stupidest dumbass; I wanted to go home, give up DSing for ever, be old boring and conservative and give up this crazy sh%t. I sat on the ground with my head in my hands, and when I finally got up I didn’t even want to look at the carnage. John helped me pick up the bits. It was ugly.

That’s the end of the depressing bit! The rest of the day was pure DS bliss, really. I got “back on the horse” and put the DSX together and got 206. There were people flying all the time. So many different planes.

I took some good notes to help with writing this report, and probably left them in the pub at Geraldine where we had dinner! The guys we had there (correct my mistakes) were:
Me (AvB), Alex, Astan, Josh, his dad John, Mick (Auselectric), and the 3 guys from the North Island: Dave Pope, Gareth (Trub) and Jonno Ashton.

The wind stayed good all day. Sometimes it got a bit fluffy down the back , but mostly it was excellent with speeds of say 74mph for Mick, doing his first ever DS using a Windrider Bat, up to 120’s for various foamies, 150’s for Asto’s Windburner, 180 for the Wizard BPV, 170 – 190 for the light Scorcher, and a max of 212 for the DSX later in the day, flying a bit further along the ridge.

The highlights for me were:

The incredible BPV. Both Asto and Alex went mad when they flew it and foamed at the mouth going “I want one!!!” It just tore it up – there’s no other way to describe it. Sometimes I was lightly holding a tad of aileron and elevator and ripping the laps with no input.

Josh’s Scorchers. They look great. The whole project is a real credit to him. The light Scorcher (which is his original, beaten up basic version) looked perfectly balanced and super fast. To have that thing doing 190 when the best speed the 4.5kg DSX was doing was 212, really says something.

Alex’s RT42. I have never seen a plank track as true at that thing. He was mowing the grass tips with it in a furball. Straight as an arrow, barely a waggle. It is amazingly good.

Astan’s Windburner in furballs for ages, sometimes 2 guys, sometimes 5; with Asto lapping bigger smoother circles all around the other guys at twice the speed. Very cool.

The Scratcho. When I flew it I was mildly shocked at how good it was, and I don’t think I’m being impartial. It was so aerobatic and fast on the front, and when we Dsed it, it was just crazy fast fun. That light wing is so damn stiff, and the plane flits around at 130mph looking like one of those balloons that you blow up and let it go and it jets around the room in mad circles. While Alex was DSing it he hassled me again to make him one - I told him I think I'm getting too tired to make more planes! Maybe, maybe ... then a plastic bag floated out from behind the cars and wafted through the DS zone, really slowly and I said to Alex that if he could hit the bag with the Scratcho, he could keep the plane! He really tried, but the bag floated off unscathed!

I have left out huge gaps here. Like the plank that Dave was flying which was a something wing with an AFP fuse. I thought AFP was something technical but it means “Another F$kking Plank”. There was a midair between Josh’s Skua and a Moth, I think. Regular thumps, difficult landings with the heavy DSX in the lightish air (it won’t slow down and needs more flap). All sorts of stuff. I’m going to see if I have any good photos.

We headed down at 6pm but could have flown for an hour and a half more, at least. Dinner in Geraldine, and not home till almost 11pm. It’s gloomy and calm right now so hopefully everyone’s having a lie-in at the rented house!
Last edited by AvB; Dec 10, 2012 at 06:45 PM.