AussieJarred is online now Find More Posts by AussieJarred
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:20 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,148 Posts
SWEET AZZ... Well done Josh..

BTW.. It's now the WARDHILMARWINDFINDA... Must have been the fuse that made it go that quick....

Tim
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 07, 2012, 10:02 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,160 Posts
Wow, great news on 2 fronts! Congrats Josh on the Scorcher speed and to Andrew for getting to go flying!!! Looking forward to more news...
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:59 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,301 Posts
Thanks a lot guys! Im super impressed with the plane. It was really quiet and had no flex at all. I wasnt feeling super comfortable with the setup, I had only flown it on the front side for ten minutes or so last week,Ii think i had a bit too much expo, and I was really struggling to see it coming off the bottom turn, and worst of all the falcon radar seemed to be going flat and my pro speed was struggling to pick up anything over 200. I got to 234 but didnt think it worth risking it for no reads so i was going to land but then Alex reminded me he wanted a go. So he grabbed the radio and I got to watch my baby in the hands of a real gun- one of the main points of my trip really! I have to say his and my flying were like chalk and cheese, really great to watch, with massive deep and fast laps. The falcon was getting no reads now and the pro speed got about 10% I reckon, which really ticked me off. If i concentrated on aiming it realy hard I had more success and was glad to get the 273 read, but there some heaps faster laps, maybe into the 300s but who knows.
It was getting dark, so we swapped back and i managed to do the best landing, this scorcher has a lot of flap on it and it came down with ease- I was super impressed with myself! Thanks to Alex for pushing up the airframe PB, and on his non preferred mode no less!
Earlier Asto had flown the Dilmahwindfindah, which was also was a bit out of tune (you dont get too many tuning chances with a 4.5kg 60" plank!), but really spectacular, with a great sound. He managed to get it to 228 I think, but wasnt happy with it, saying it was nose heavy and the roll looked really twitchy. H couldnt slow down enough for landing and had a bit of a bingle, though nothing that cant be repaired.
The coolest thing about yesterday was that the regular ridge, wianui, was shrouded in cloud, so we just drove down the road into uncharted territory and alex found another world class ridge, which had a massive landing zone right on the front side. This part of NZ is a true DSers playground!
Cheers fellas
Josh
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:19 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,696 Posts
Well done guys. Keep the reports coming.
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Dec 2006
1 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm Baz and down from Tauranga in North Island. Have 6 planes on board including JW for DS.

I'm parked up at French Farm Bay, close to Wainui, but this morning (saturday 7th Dec) I tried to drive up to the Wainui site but my campervan is too big for the narrow road. So I'm kinda stuck down at sea level and not sure where to go next.

Any help or suggestions on the day's preferred flying site would be much appreciated. Or maybe I could head to the base where everyone is staying? Address is??

Thanx, Baz
Bazarre is offline Find More Posts by Bazarre
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:21 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,373 Posts
Ah, brilliant report Josh! Amazed how you found the other site but shouldn't be coz there are just so many amazing ridges aren't there! Great about the Scorcher. Sometimes they need more elevator at those big speeds too. Great about the nice flaps and good landing! I know what you mean about Alex's flying. I was going my hardest, breaking into a sweat gripping the Tx and then Alex flies 30mph faster, talking and walking at the same time, and does a hand catch at the end. More class than a#ss.

Has anyone heard whether Joe Manor is still coming?? Haven't heard anything about him for ages.

Totally flat strap here trying to get things ready ... lots of work to get organized to get away. Couldn't sleep in the middle of the night with the mind racing. Feel like if I actually get to the plane with my gear it will be a miracle. I haven't done any work on my planes for ages and now wish I'd finished off those Scratchos etc. I'm arriving on DJ84 at 10:25pm Sunday night. Janet comes over Thursday mid arvo.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:58 PM
Now living in Qld
Australia, QLD, Robina
Joined Nov 2006
141 Posts
Hi guys keep the reports coming, I have been following with interest. Sorry to read of Asto losing his Needle, but congrats to Josh and John with PBs.
Haven't heard any mention of Knut yet?
PaulDfly is offline Find More Posts by PaulDfly
Old Dec 07, 2012, 05:37 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Apr 2010
27 Posts
Hey Baz. Yeah you won't drive from Wainui village straight up to the Wainui ridge in a campervan, or in most 2wd vehicles after rain for that matter. You'd have to drive back to the Christchurch - Akaroa Rd, turn left back towards Christchurch and go over the pass to Little River, and from there go up the regular route to the ridge. Best to call Alex on 027 341 3154 and he'll add you to the text notification list.

Half the guys are at a DLG contest in Timaru, some went to Wainui earlier. There isn't much wind today.
Sailplane Nut is online now Find More Posts by Sailplane Nut
Last edited by Sailplane Nut; Dec 07, 2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Update to day's activities.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:34 PM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,537 Posts
Wow , great speed on the Scorcher Josh .
dingo is offline Find More Posts by dingo
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:59 PM
Mr Windburner
Australia, QLD, Mudgeeraba
Joined Apr 2009
697 Posts
Good speed on the Scorcher Josh 300 won't be that far away.
Kevin Bennett is online now Find More Posts by Kevin Bennett
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:07 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,301 Posts
Hey, Josh here again, Did any of you fellas get any video of our big arvo the other day? Id love to see how it comes out.
Cheers
Josh
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 08, 2012, 02:49 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,218 Posts
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Last edited by AUSELECTRIC; Dec 08, 2012 at 05:24 AM.
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:11 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
1,992 Posts
Hi Paul, I am here alright but didn't get a flight on Thursday nor Friday. Did some flying today, but didn't get much over 100. And the Speedo is already in pieces.
Hope to get the time to fly the pace once more in the right conditions
Regards
Knut.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDfly View Post
Hi guys keep the reports coming, I have been following with interest. Sorry to read of Asto losing his Needle, but congrats to Josh and John with PBs.
Haven't heard any mention of Knut yet?
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:25 AM
Mr T
New Zealand, Manawatu-Wanganui, Feilding
Joined Dec 2009
281 Posts
Josh, we have some footage of the Scorcher in action. Will put it together tomorrow morning hopefully. Not sure if I can upload much, but will be able to get it to you on a usb key
trub is online now Find More Posts by trub