HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:04 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,241 Posts
Cool to see you there Asto , not cool about the needle in the hay stack...
Would have been better to let go at 300 or something. Sound weird , maybe a hair line crach in the tail that let go. ??

Look forward to the next instalment ...BTW. I like your quote , something went wrong internally , not Alex in the burner... Ha ha
He has got something wrong , has this problem where he can only fly in circles.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2012, 06:16 AM
making my own planes...
Curitiba - Brazil
Joined Oct 2007
1,074 Posts
Asto,
So sorry for your lost,
could maybe the evelator servo came loose from the skin? ...or into the fuselage...

Alex, wow!! You was ripping with that bee.. never saw a bee tracking like that, amazing.
decones is offline Find More Posts by decones
Old Dec 05, 2012, 08:24 PM
Joined Nov 2004
1,219 Posts
No report yet on if Josh and his dad made it this morning.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 06, 2012, 12:15 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,696 Posts
Really bad luck Asto. Least your there doing it while some of us are stuck at work LOL
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:00 AM
Dave Pope Manawatu NZ
Palmerston North NZ
Joined Dec 2006
1,186 Posts
Great report, Asto, sorry to read about the mishap, i am sure we will add to the Gods list.
pope is offline Find More Posts by pope
Last edited by pope; Dec 06, 2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 01:54 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18 View Post
We had a good fly today at wainui ridge, which is a massive site! Conditions changed all day, from no wind, to wind with cloud cover and then some really good wind for a while. we all got lots of flying in, I got 163 with the old scorcher, Asto got 167 with the light burner and 143 with the d40. Dad and I are so stuffed now, as we have had 1 hour sleep in the last two days or so, In fact i dont even know what day it is!
Cheers

Above is some info from today.

Speeds were 143 with D40, 134 with Beevo, 154 with RT42 (new fuse from mold) 163 with RentaScorcher and topping out at 167 with Asto and the Light Burner

What did you get on the Skua, Josh? And what did your Dad get? Will post some speeds when I know
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:35 AM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,271 Posts
nice one guys just found this thread, will be keeping an eye on it, also was able to watch the video, don't know what you guys did but the quality is crystal clear in 360p, the only setting my internet can handle, keep it up!

sorry about the needle asto! keep on dsing!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:56 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
(posted by Josh) Thanks for moving my post Alex, and thanks for a sweet day one out on the slopes! I got a massive 98mph with the skua, which is great fun to fly, and dad got 120 with his M60- a new PB!
I didnt say before that I came very close to losing the old scorcher. I had a bit of a rough landing after the first flight and all seemed well. I flew it again later and it seemed a bit wierd on the front. It would wander one way, then the other way after correction, and when i deployed crow it would roll and then go straight after correcting it. Anyway, I dived in and ds'd it for a while, thuogh the wind had dropped out so it was pretty slow. I had to use high rates on the ailerons, which is usually way too touchy- I just thought it was cause it was so slow. Anyway, I did a bit of acro, which also felt pretty sluggish and dicided to land. This is when it got really interesting! I had almost no roll rate with the flaps down and was really struggling to get it in the right spot. I thought the battery must be going flat so I thought I must get it doewn quick! I ended up being blown down wind because I couldnt get it turned back up wind quick enough, but luckily landed in a bush. Alex sprinted over and found one leading edge a bit dinted (no biggie), but also the opposite aileron servo had come loose. It slowly dawned on us that it had popped when I landed before, and I ds'd, acro'd and all the rest with only one aileron servo and the other one flapping in the breeze! What a d!$khead! I think I should go buy a lotto ticket with that luck- No wonder it was sluggish in roll!
Anyway, some gorilla CA on the servo and the LE will have it back in the air. Im going to get Alex to program it to his TX so he can push it to the max, I hope we get enough wind....
Josh
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 06, 2012, 04:15 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,241 Posts
Sound like a lucky save JASTO... Very glad you got it back in one piece.

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:08 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
Day 2

Hi everybody,
It's Asto here now. No post yesterday A bit knacked. Early start yesterday alarm
went off 5:30 (Pressed the snooze button) and went back to sleep. About 15mins later Alex was knocking on the door.Lets go and pick up Josh and John from the airport.
We ended up meeting Josh and John later at the house due to some time mix ups.
After a bit of Plane talk we were off to Wianui. Took about an hour heading towards Akaroa then winding up a gravely road. After a bit rallying we got to the top and man what a view. First up Alex with the Le Fish. Showed us the line and how to roll ur plane round and round while going round in circles. Very cool Alex.

If I can remember Josh was next up with a maiden flight with his Skua. Alex had thrown on some weight on the nose earlier from checking it on my make shift CG machine made out some bent spoons taped onto the dineing table.
Josh launched it and it flew out great for the weight of it. It was light air. He played around on the front for a few minutes and dove it in. It flew great and was gunned to 96mph.
John had a throw of the M60 and was bobbing around on the front, light air.
Later I clocked John a new PB of 120mph with his M60. Nice flying John. Took me long time to over 100.
After a short intermission it was time for the Burner maiden. The wind had picked up enough. It flew out on launch great no trims needed. Happy with CG.
Cut some circles and she flew great. Later clocked 167mph.
D40 was not happy wing is bent somewhere took 37clicks of right to get it to stop it banking left.
Managed a 143 with it.
Highlight for me was watching Josh's Scorcher fly. Rock solid. 300+ plane for sure.
Also Alex's acro is mind blowing.

I picked up Mike (Auselectric) from airport early we're all on laptops and fixing planes now. Rain is about. May get a gap late this arvo hopefully.

Asto
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:00 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
Sudden huge decision. We were incredibly fortunate that our disabled daughter's respite centre has given us some extra days next week, making it possible for us to get away. Looks like I will go to Christchurch arriving midnight Sunday to join the DS week till Thursday, when Janet will come over too (exhausted from "manning the fort" during my absence) then we'll do some adventuring together for another 6 days. Wow. I'm scared.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:08 AM
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,241 Posts
That's great news Andrew.... Our NO:1 ds reporter going to work for his fellow DS wacko's..
Also great to have some quality time with jannet touring..BUT she will have to confiscate your controller..

Tim
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:02 AM
knee ligaments are over rated
Melbourne , Outer East .
Joined Dec 2003
2,539 Posts
Have a good time over there everyone. Hope you get favourable conditions .
dingo is online now Find More Posts by dingo
Old Dec 07, 2012, 03:11 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,430 Posts
Just heard that the Scorcher just went 274 in almost darkness. They had rain today but it cleared late arvo and they headed for Wainui very late to squeeze in an hour or 2 before dark. Sounds like it was worth it!

Congrats Josh!!
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:07 AM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,031 Posts
Just quickly, more tomorrow:

Dilmah Wind Finda 228

Beevo 164
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member