HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 20, 2012, 01:29 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
Fantastic video! Wow! Great watching, Asto's commentry had me in histerics!
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 20, 2012, 03:54 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,100 Posts
On Lift Ticket they were flying the Elipses to around 170's, one blew up in the high 180's. They were flying them hard as they could back then.

Amazing that someone filmed the DSX's last moments. So often a plane goes in and you wished you had the footage to analyse just what happened.
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:06 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
I have a couple of crash footage vids
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 20, 2012, 05:51 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Here's a short vid about the midair breakup and destruction of the DSX at Tekapo.

DSX breakup at Tekapo 14Dec2012 (6 min 54 sec)
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:18 PM
ERS....Energy Retention System
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,592 Posts
OMG...it does really look like the tail broke off right at the base before the vertical , then the shear forces of it spinning at warp speed blew the tail plane apart...Servo hole is definatly a weak point. I agree , a few hits on landing could easily hair line crack it. Real shame.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:39 PM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Sep 2008
2,510 Posts
great vid, good on you for taking it so well. Lucky its only a plane and not a person !!
AlpineDSacro is offline Find More Posts by AlpineDSacro
Old Dec 20, 2012, 06:54 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,561 Posts
Wow Andrew what unreal footage! I have to go home to watch it with sound now, and the cass ridge video too. I cant believe the gouge the wing made in tha ground- Oh and also the amount of bending in the wing after the tail let go! Now I know how big a DSX spar is too! At least from analysing wrecked good planes, you can work out how to build your own ones better. Do you reckon the stab blew up first then ripped the tail off or the other way round? Im going with stab first then ripped the tail off. Either way, it died doing what it loved!
Thanks for the great vids so far Andrew, I always wait patiently for you to get home from a trip to see the vids!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 20, 2012, 10:05 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,687 Posts
Thanks guys. Yep, agreed it's nicer to be killing planes than people, when things go pear shaped. Still not sure about what broke first, to be honest. On the hill we all agreed finally that the stab must have delammed and twisted and busted the tail off at the boom in front of the fin. But I still think it's possible that the boom snapped and maybe the stab rotated so hard it smashed on the boom or something.

I posted the vid as a separate thread too, so there's some more comment there too:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1792606
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:37 AM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
I loved that plane...
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:03 AM
Joined Nov 2004
1,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airtimeasto View Post
I loved that plane...
You loved all of Andrews planes.
AUSELECTRIC is offline Find More Posts by AUSELECTRIC
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:34 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
As far as I know from talking with people (correct me if I am wrong) but the main versions are (from lightest to strongest) C93 Carbon, BPV (bullet proof version), DS, and DSX ( HEAPS extra Carbon).

I think Andrew had the DS not the DSX version
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:29 AM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,100 Posts
It looked soooo windy when you launched!

Looking at the slow mo it is almost like the whole wing went anhedral/flapped and that caused the tail to come off. So hard to tell. I can't believe how much it is bending both ways.

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 21, 2012, 04:35 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,098 Posts
Just got home last night from NZ, unfortunately I had no access to the forum, only could read, but not post myself.
Once more a thanks to Alex for organizing the get together; I am delighted that I have met a lot of you guys in person.
Sorry Jono that I didn't ring you, but there was no point, since I did some damage to my Pace which I didn't want to just fix temporarily.
It happened on the landing, I broke the fuselage on the same place as before. Landing looked perfectly OK, but when I picked up the model I noticed it had broken again
I had one good day of front side flying at Titahi bay ( Jono knows the place ).
It was last Friday, for me it was the strongest wind I have ever flown in. Had real difficulties to walk to the edge. Flew the Pace with all the ballast. Didn't have an anemometer with me, but I reckon it would have been about 50knots. I had my Gopro on, and got it all on video, unfortunately when I was playing it back only the landing was close enough to see the plane. Most of the time the pace was too far away to be seen. I might edit it and post it on the slope trash thread.
Thanks Andrew for all your videos, I always enjoy them, and sorry to hear about your sacrifices to the wind gods.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:02 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,709 Posts
Cheers, Knut!

First flight at Tekapo on the big day. Had to beat Asto into the air for once!!!!!

Smack Bang! (2 min 15 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
Australia, VIC, Keysborough
Joined Jun 2004
2,098 Posts
addVery good, but this one looks better.
Scorcher wing (1 min 25 sec)

Only suffered minor damage to one tip.

Josh just tells me it was only under 2 kg in weight on the day.
AeroNut45 is offline Find More Posts by AeroNut45
Last edited by AeroNut45; Dec 21, 2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: adding text