HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:32 PM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,696 Posts
Damm Andrew, that's really bad luck mate. I know how you feel about expensive models. When I was competing in IMAC (scale aerobatics) it took a fair while to get over the fact I had around $10,000 wrapped up in one plane hence my scores suffered a little. It wasn't until I convinced myself to not think of it that way and just enjoy flying them that I started to improve but the cost does get hard to justify.

I must admit when I lost my first one it was hard to take (more so for the missus then me LOL) but what do you do.
excelpoint is offline Find More Posts by excelpoint
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 15, 2012, 03:44 PM
DS Addict
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,073 Posts
You got it on the head there. I used to fly IMAC, but reached a certain level where i had to start spending BIG bucks. Needed about 10K for a new model, plus a back-up model, And a freestyle model. Was going to be well over 20K. Not to mention 1k every time I wanted to travel to a contest. AND 5K if i wanted to do an overseas contest!

I gave it all up and started DSing, as for around 4K I could get a 400+mph model set-up.
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:20 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,073 Posts
Pics!!!!!!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 04:59 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,073 Posts
I am uploading my Burner video now. Anyone else got video on the go? I can only do one at a time. Have video from most of the action. Got heaps of Scorcher video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:08 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,307 Posts
I'll try to do some video when I get back home.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:14 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,235 Posts
Cant wait to see the vids fellas. The carnage shots are pretty mad! Youve gotta be in it to win it I guess....
I wondered how the scorcher would feel in lighter wind, kind of makes me feel a bit better not chucking it off the other time we went to tekapo. Andre, the weight came out to just about 4kg, with the only lead being in the nose.
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
New Zealand, Wellington, Porirua
Joined May 2006
519 Posts
Yesterday Dave and I headed out to Wainui (Gareth had to work) and met up with Andrew P, Andrew AVB, Alex and Asto,for a last days flying (for me anyway). The wind was much more user friendly for Dave and I (amateurs) at about 30mph so Dave and I flew our Minivecs until they started to flutter. The Minivecs were great fun to DS but are not strong enough to go very fast and I got mine to 111mph and Dave a bit less before the dreaded flutter started to show itself . I flew the Destiny a couple times to 106mph but man alive, that is a touchy model to fly
Dave flew the Manawatu Mauler (his own fully moulded glider) to over 100mph but did not push it as the wing was a very light layup and then flew his 2.8m RCRCM Tomcat awesomely but once again Dave didn’t push it too hard as we were unsure just how strong the airframe was. Dave finished up the day with a flight with his swift then we had a big session of foamie furball. The top speed of the day was 180 by... you guessed it, Alex.

What a great week. There was speed, speed and more speed including plenty of smiles and records broken, and then there was carnage and disappointment as well. I have learnt more in this one week about flying and especially set up than I have learnt in the past who knows how many years. What a great bunch of guys, so helpful and encouraging.

It is never easy to organize an event like this so a great big thanks to Alex for putting the effort in and getting it done. I hope there will be another next year and if so I will be there for sure
Jono
jonoashton is offline Find More Posts by jonoashton
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:02 PM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,073 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Jono!

It's you guys that make the event so fantastic!

First video:

Equal Burner record. Tekapo NZ (5 min 54 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 15, 2012, 07:18 PM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
Pics!!!!!!!!
Looks like a lot of fun had by all!!
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:46 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
You got it on the head there. I used to fly IMAC, but reached a certain level where i had to start spending BIG bucks. Needed about 10K for a new model, plus a back-up model, And a freestyle model. Was going to be well over 20K. Not to mention 1k every time I wanted to travel to a contest. AND 5K if i wanted to do an overseas contest!

I gave it all up and started DSing, as for around 4K I could get a 400+mph model set-up.
Much the same here mate. 2 x 3m Composite ARf's on the go (and of course you always get roped into 3Ding them lol) , trailer, 6-8 comps a year etc etc with a family to support just could not be justified any more, hence I no longer compete. Add to that the stress and pressure of competing in the upper classes and it all just gets too much.

DS seems to be a good compromise I reckon. I can satisfy my composite fetish , Still be competitive (lightheartedly with the other DS crew) and best of all there is no pressure or politics. To top it all off the DS fraternity from my limited exposure to them so far all seem to be a pretty good bunch.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 01:49 AM
Melbourne
Joined May 2004
1,696 Posts
Man that Burner is honkin along. Nice going and congrats on the equal record.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:54 AM
ETS....Energy retention system
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
5,266 Posts
Man that's some carnage in those pics.. Love the burner vid , awesome stuff.

Tim
timbuck is offline Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Gizmo 36 pics
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:45 AM
DS Addict
Joined Jul 2005
5,073 Posts
Another:

Jono's Tekapo Experience (8 min 31 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:34 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,439 Posts
Janet and I are at Murchison, way up in the thickly forested west coast. A really excellent beautiful drive to get here with the road following fast flowing rivers with towering mountains around. On the way to Hanmer Springs yesterday there was plenty of wind, and I saw heaps of ranges which had amazing looking DS ridges. So many, but I guess they may be hard to get to – dunno. Hanmer was really hot – about 30 deg C, and although the springs themselves looked interesting we didn’t want to pay lots to go into a very touristy spot so we ended up finding the way to where the 2 rivers joined, and had a swim. It was cold, but not too cold, and the current was ferocious! No way you could get across!

We drove over Lewis Pass, checking out the start point of the St James Walkway, a 60km loop walk. We had wanted to do a walk but the distances were big and it was already late arvo. These walks are well set up and marked and have huts every few hours or so. There are 3 levels of huts, from ones with hot water etc, which require “hut tickets”; down to the basic free ones. Very good.

After going over the Lewis Pass and having no reception for ages we sent a text to Peter France saying where we were. He and Rose had been at a family wedding over the weekend and were on the way home. When we came back into mobile range we found we were almost about to cross paths and just as we had filled the tank they rolled into town! It was great timing and we went to the café for a chat and a cuppa!

We pfaffed around checking out the cheap end of accommodation in Murchison which was very basic and not cheap! Murchison is a quaint historic town, nestled next to fast rivers, in a lush valley amongst huge forested ranges. We ended up in a motel, which is really nice (although we’re out of range of the wifi) and although it was still daylight, we were too late for restaurants (9pm) so dinner was pies, sausage rolls and ice creams at the BP. It finally got dark revealing a crisp new moon.
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:41 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,235 Posts
Sounds like a really nice trip Andrew. Im trying to convince Crystal to come with me next time as I reckon she'd love it there too. I think i like the way you did it with Janet coming over near the end of the glider part. Enjoy it mate, how long are you over there for?
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18