HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 14, 2012, 02:04 PM
He who dares ... repairs!
Joined Jun 2005
683 Posts
Just reading the rest of the posts, congrats on the Scorcher speed (and build!), that's one nice looking machine
Hobster is offline Find More Posts by Hobster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 14, 2012, 03:20 PM
More like crunchman....
United Kingdom, Cheshire East
Joined Mar 2007
919 Posts
Sorry to learn that the best day so far in the NZ DS Fest included so much carnage, even if it does come with the territory.

Still, you guys remain chippa & clearly had a barrel of fun.

Congrats on the excellent speeds

Look forward to the vids.
dsman is offline Find More Posts by dsman
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:37 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,708 Posts
One more to the mix of carnage.

Smack 60 blew up at 171. Crap Hobby King carbon just confettied in mid-air
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 14, 2012, 04:55 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,560 Posts
Well done with your foamies BTW Alex, its really opened my eyes to what can be done with a couple of bits of epp. I always thought you needed some fast glass to go above 120 or so but you have definitely changed my mind about that! I hope a few of these mid air blow ups made it to video.
I think Im just gonna move to NZ so I dont miss another classic day! Im definitely gonna do my best to get at least a couple of weeks over there next time.
How did the scorcher feel at speed Alex, and do you think it has more in it? Needs some ballast!
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:00 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,708 Posts
felt sweet at speed. Just needed more wind. I missed the most powerful parts of the day, so could have done 350. Hardly any flex and rock solid!

But definatly hit a wall in the 330s
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by ALEX HEWSON; Dec 14, 2012 at 05:53 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:42 PM
R.I.P
Australia, QLD, Toowoomba
Joined Jan 2010
3,560 Posts
Wow sweet! someone told me early on that it looked like it would do 350, and I didnt really believe them.
Thanks mate
josh18 is online now Find More Posts by josh18
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:47 PM
Just Stab It In
Bangalow,Australia
Joined Aug 2008
1,342 Posts
I told you it would.
airtimeasto is offline Find More Posts by airtimeasto
Old Dec 14, 2012, 06:21 PM
Wellington, New Zealand
Joined Sep 2009
436 Posts
wow - sounds like an epic day records and PBs and carnage everywhere - sounds expensive but shitloads of fun. wish I was there.
taurineman is online now Find More Posts by taurineman
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:08 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,664 Posts
Congratulations and commiserations guys.
I suppose this was one of those big days everyone was hoping for.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Dec 14, 2012, 07:16 PM
Time to burn up some wind yo!
Palmwoods, QLD, Australia
Joined Jan 2009
1,273 Posts
holy moly just finished reading the reports, what a day of carnage!!!!

so many crazy speeds attained!

firstly and foremost, congrats josh on building a plane worthy of 350+ in the back of your shed, 338 is an absolutely awesome speed!

secondly, andrew, sorry to hear about the dsx, she will be sadly missed :'(

thirdly, andrew!!! scratcho goes 278!!!!! are you kidding me!!! congrats on the 250 as well, flying your own plane, designed as something to fly at shorncliffe, to 250, awesome!

alex, punching out equal 285 with the windburner, no lead in tips, you must be crazy!
and new reaper w/r, congrats man

asto, 202 with mangled d40, freakin awesome!!!

and congrats to all the others on the hill who upped their pbs and had a ball of a time, sounds like a classic day on the hill!
AussieJarred is offline Find More Posts by AussieJarred
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
Just chillin @ 403 MPH
Boulder Colorado
Joined Nov 2005
5,228 Posts
[QUOTE=AvB;23524043]Well my Wizard Compact DSX is dead. Somewhere around 270mph, the right side of the stab blew up, and the whole tail, fin and all ripped off and the plane went in in a split second. There was a full span wing mark across the ground, nose well buried and 1/3 chord of the wing stuck into the dirt like a spade, driven in by the heavy wing joiners and ballast. It took heaps of digging by Gareth to get the nose out. He and I couldn’t get it out but Asto finally did. The only salvageable part of the airframe was the fin.

A couple of guys flew stuff, but soon the wind went way, way north and was tearing up both sides of the ridge. We thought that might kill the day but about half an hour later as we were eating lunch, I felt the wind shift and the backside went calmer and I grabbed Alex to launch the DSX. Two steel joiners and wing ballast, about 6.8kg. I worked it hard as I could and it was rough, and I couldn’t get over 278mph. It just wasn't producing the power and speed we were expecting from the wind. Flew it for ages. Big hits at times, some big saves. At times I waited frontside for the back to die down and tried again, and near the end it started to really rip. I could feel the power get better and kept pushing then BOOM, it tore apart mid flight and went in. Stupid thing is my instant response was happy because “it wasn’t my fault” and it took a while for it to sink in that my dream plane was no more.

We didn’t go and get the wreckage because the conditions were so good that it was a priority to keep flying,

Anyway when we finally got the DSX bits, I thought the wing had folded but the necropsy revealed that the stab was the cause. Wow.

I feel for you on your loss but I can't help but think there was an assembly Issue here, as we have all flown the DSX to much higher speeds without any issues at all

Nick
Jantar2A is offline Find More Posts by Jantar2A
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:13 PM
less sleep more planes
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2006
431 Posts
Took a bit for it to sink in, DSX dead, sorry for you AVB maybe the Scratcho going 278 made you feel a bit better .Lots of planes reaching there blow up speed in big air.
Congrats to all the records and PB s.
Big congrats to Josh awesome plane mate ,would have been interesting to see how well the K100 went in similar air.
PlayinInTheParK is offline Find More Posts by PlayinInTheParK
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:25 PM
Blue Sky Mining
Australia, VIC, Ballarat
Joined Feb 2009
1,664 Posts
From the reports it sounds like the DSX was taking a hammering in the rough conditions as the wind shifted. It has to put a lot of stress on the tail getting sucked down and thrown about on the bottom turn. And tails do tend to be the lightest built part of a plane.
It just sounds like it reached its limit in those gnarly rough conditions. it was 50 odd knots and rough.
Bad luck Andrew.
batballs is offline Find More Posts by batballs
Old Dec 14, 2012, 09:42 PM
DS= -$ & :-)
Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Feb 2006
3,100 Posts
Wow what an epic day, great reports. So sorry to hear of the DSX Andrew but you really wrung that planes neck and flew its pants off in light and strong conditions, many, many times. There is always a lot of carnage on the big days. Congrats to all of you!

Eric
Ezza is offline Find More Posts by Ezza
Old Dec 15, 2012, 01:38 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,708 Posts
A Kinetic would have done 450+ in those conditions without doubt. The bigger circuits yielded more power but you needed a super efficient plane to do so. Wish I had one of my Kinetics for that day.

I think the biggest thing that needs to come about about this day is, that is average wind conditions for the area. It gets a LOT more at times!!!!!

Watch out Spencer! =)
RCG Plus Member