HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:28 AM
United States, CO, Golden
Joined Aug 2011
431 Posts
Discussion
Free CAM to combine with Inkscape?

I have been playing around a bit and am trying to keep things free. Inkscape is nice for drawing simple things out, but I have found the gcodetools plugin to be lacking and buggy. What I am hoping to do is two types of machining:

1) 2D cut outs. The problem with gcodetools is that it only can follow a path, so you have to design your path to account for the bit diameter. I want a cam program that can cut automatically calculate inside and outside cuts. Am I better off using a 3D model, even though I am making 2D parts?

2) pocketing: I'd like to both pocket and cut out a part. In inkscape, I am supposed to do this using the area tool in one layer and the path in the border. But, the area algorithm is really buggy, doesn't quite do it. Perhaps I can draw it there, and generate the gcode separately.

I have been a searching and see there is gsimple, glam, cam bam, etc. I just haven't had the time to try them out. Looking for any input I can get. BTW - I am looking to do design in Windows, but I am running my new machine with LinuxCNC.

Thanks!
Rifraf is offline Find More Posts by Rifraf
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:30 PM
Joined Sep 2004
1 Posts
Take a look at PartKAM: https://launchpad.net/partkam I've used it and it works quite well.

jgro
jgro is offline Find More Posts by jgro
Old Dec 21, 2012, 09:37 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
United States, NC, Pfafftown
Joined Feb 2001
3,634 Posts
Sketchup with the Sketchucam plugin (both free) devevloped for the Phlatprinter, unless you just have to have inkscape...

I have use Sketchup/Sketchucam with both my Phlatprinter and Sherline with no issues..
IFLYOS is offline Find More Posts by IFLYOS