HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:41 AM
Col. Foameister
ohio
Joined Jan 2010
47 Posts
Discussion
I think I'll buy an rc plane

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK newbie! After you've mastered the basics of r/c flight on your simulator, or at least taken off and landed at least once, you may think you're ready to tear up the skies with your "real" brand new- just out of the box - way overpriced , but just have to have it -rc airplane! Well, think this through clearly. The sim helps, but believe me, the "real" flying only compares to the computer- in your dreams. If you are ready to scatter that $275.00 rc plane over 30 yards of real estate , go ahead and give her a shot! It's your moola! There's only 2 kinds of r/c pilots-the kind that have crashed several aircraft, and the kind that will. I've been flying rc for 23 years and never have talked to an r/c pilot that has NEVER EVER crashed at least 10 in his career. Some more-some less. If you would like to cut down the expense of OOPS, and DUMB THUMBS incidents, get an experienced pilot and use the BUDDY BOX. Great way to learn and will save a ton on ca and balsa, and if the new Trainer goes in, guess who will feel guilty enough to give you his old Piper Cub to sooth the pain-after all, HE was on the sticks when your plane bit the dust, not you. The main thing is to have fun, learn,spend, cry a little, make excuses, and watch the you tube videos of all the crashes that are goin on, cause, all planes have an expiration date on them-even the experts can't avoid the elevator servo that just decided to peg itself 10 feet off the runway
polevaulter is offline Find More Posts by polevaulter
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:51 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
All my planes have crashed at least once... Some of those crashes haven't happened yet, but they're inevitable so they might as well have already

With every new plane, I end up telling myself just before launch that I don't build 'em just to look at. Then I fire the thing off and just watch as it hits the ground and explodes I've discovered that faster, more powerful models have much more exciting crashes (Ke = 0.5[mv^2]), so that's what I've moved toward over the years
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 02, 2012, 10:09 AM
Carthage, TX
United States, TX, Tenaha
Joined Mar 2012
556 Posts
I have 4 planes that have never crashed!!! They haven't ever been flown yet. So many planes, so little time.
Colbyntx is offline Find More Posts by Colbyntx
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:22 AM
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2012
12 Posts
That raises a good question, how many people on here have just bought an RC plane and taught themselfs to fly and how many get some kind of help.
craigban is offline Find More Posts by craigban
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:46 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
It's obvious with the rise of inexpensive and half decent RTF models (eg. SuperCub) there have been more and more self-taught flyers in the last five, ten years. I'm one of them. Oh, and simulators help a lot also.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Dec 02, 2012, 11:53 AM
You haz hurricane?
United States, VA, Portsmouth
Joined Jun 2012
1,235 Posts
Im a self taught flyer, I did use the simulator to learn the basics though...no need for a buddy box for me!

Coot
Coot83 is offline Find More Posts by Coot83
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:14 PM
United States, ME, Bangor
Joined Jul 2012
12 Posts
I'm self-taught, the money I save from not buying a simulator I use to repair my crashes. I think it worked out to be about the same lol.
craigban is offline Find More Posts by craigban
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:24 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2011
2,050 Posts
I'm self taught. Totalled about 4 planes in the process.After about a year I'm pretty much there now. I fly only balsa. They all come home in one peice....most of the time.
cwolfe is online now Find More Posts by cwolfe
Old Dec 02, 2012, 12:34 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,397 Posts
Quote:
They all come home in one peice....most of the time.
Mine do that sometimes, but only if I can't find the rest of the pieces
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:06 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The first, if boring, point is that if you try to teach yourself to fly, your instructor knows precisely what you do about flying.

Probably equally boring - without an instructor and a training program, a 'simulator' is a video game mostly aimed at selling you a video game. I have a little background here, albeit a while back and at a slightly more serious level, from both sides of the box.

Yes, tried being a clever donkey once and teaching myself to fly RC. Three wrecked models, later, had an attack of common sense, built a trainer and found an instructor.

Have been flying RC since 1979 and met two guys in that time who not only taught themselves to fly and could also demonstrate that they could. Do not count one guy - a PhD in some science I can't pronounce - who claimed to be able to fly but whose landings mostly involved contact somewhere on a handy planet. The concept of a runway landing was beyond him.

Yes, I have - or maybe had - a simulator. Boring.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:11 PM
rrg
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by C₄H₁₀ View Post
Mine do that sometimes, but only if I can't find the rest of the pieces
I said a few words over my Extra the other day, and brought home a piece of the wing just to remember it by.....
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:23 PM
I fly 3-C Crash,Crunch,Crumble
USA, NM, Clovis
Joined Feb 2010
1,068 Posts
In 1959, everyone was teaching themselves to fly, there were really not that many experienced pilots, and if you could find one, they were 100 miles away. Single channel was not that bad, but then along came the 15 pound Reeds TX, and a whole new ball game. Yes my wife and I taught ourselves to fly, because that was our only choice. Today there are many pilots that help newcomers, but the only problem there is, that the newcomer always thinks he/she knows more than the instructor Roy Creiglow since 1959 AMA #8045/CD
Mr. foambuilder is offline Find More Posts by Mr. foambuilder
Old Dec 02, 2012, 01:28 PM
Fueled by Arabica Beans
United States, NY, Syracuse
Joined Oct 2008
3,893 Posts
I was taught on a buddy box in the 90's, my Aerostar .20 fared the process pretty well, I didn't ever crash it in fact, a friend put it down hard on a landing and crushed the fuse in the end. I got a good 40-50 flights out of that plane.
ChillPhatCat is online now Find More Posts by ChillPhatCat
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:26 PM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Oct 2012
44 Posts
Well, I'm going it alone. I have a Crash Test Hobby Roswell and a Slo Stik to start on. We will see how it goes with these two. Mike D.
VFR Rules is offline Find More Posts by VFR Rules
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:29 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
I don't have anyone teach me to fly, I bought several airhogs and have fun for two years with them but didn't really is rc flying because they were two channels. Anyway I couldn't remember how many times I crashed them and my champ. Man this hobby is exciting.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y