SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:10 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Lana and I were part of the "Friday-Saturday only" crowd this year. We have stayed for Sunday in years past but with 13 hours to drive and Sunday AM attendance always pretty lean we decided to pack up Saturday night. This is a fun (although fast) event and we had a great time as usual. Thanks Frank and friends for organizing this and thanks to the pilots for a great show. I especially love the pylon race and The Gauntlet. Here's a few pics. The first few E-Fest 2013 films are up on FlightPass and lots more to come this week.
fmidgett is offline Find More Posts by fmidgett
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:33 AM
Futabaman
Joined Nov 2004
205 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
My only complaint is beverages. $2 for a bottle of soda is ridiculous, especially when you can't take it out on the floor with you. I was dying of thirst, and spent $2 to drink 6oz and then throw the rest away so I could go back out on the floor. And, you also disconnected the cheaper vending machines this year, which I thought was really low.
Low??

1: We have absolutely no control over the food vendors. They are staffed by the Illini boosters club. They're the only people under contract for campus concessions, therefore they can charge what they want and there's nothing anybody will be able to do about it.
2: Food and beverages on the floor? Another Armory rule! They don't want the track surface sticky or to the point that they have to wash the whole floor. Again, we have no control over that... it's their rule, not EFEST's.

Keep in mind the Armory wasn't designed for us, nor was it designed to hold an event such as EFEST. Hobbico does the best with with what we're given, and try to make everybody as comfortable as we're allowed.
Frank Noll is offline Find More Posts by Frank Noll
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:43 AM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Thanks for pointing out the stuff out of your control Frank. My hot dog was pretty good and food prices were like any other RC event we attend...maybe even a little lower. I for one thought the stuff *in* your control went great. Things were organized but not too "tight" with a ton of rules. Events ran like clock work. Isles are wide enough to handle the crowd but lots of room left to fly. Power was adequate for pilots charging and for vendors running our stuff. Loads of those little airplanes for the kids to build...one of the most kid-friendly events we do. The temperature was perfect...no small feat for such a large venue in the winter. Thanks for all of the planning. I'm sure it's more work than most of us realize. Appreciated.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:33 AM
MN WATTS Master
United States, MN, Mankato
Joined Jul 2003
7,385 Posts
It's tough when the food and facilities are out of your direct control. I think the layout was great and if you were thirsty there was at least one drinking fountain inside the main area near the make and take tables. As Fred said the food was a fair price for being on site and it tasted better then some other event food I've paid too much for!

The event was kid friendly and spectator friendly. The stands were packed by the evening shows and that's great for this hobby to share with others what we do to have fun!
Vintauri is offline Find More Posts by Vintauri
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:43 AM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmidgett View Post
Thanks for pointing out the stuff out of your control Frank. My hot dog was pretty good and food prices were like any other RC event we attend...maybe even a little lower. I for one thought the stuff *in* your control went great. Things were organized but not too "tight" with a ton of rules. Events ran like clock work. Isles are wide enough to handle the crowd but lots of room left to fly. Power was adequate for pilots charging and for vendors running our stuff. Loads of those little airplanes for the kids to build...one of the most kid-friendly events we do. The temperature was perfect...no small feat for such a large venue in the winter. Thanks for all of the planning. I'm sure it's more work than most of us realize. Appreciated.

Totally agree Fred! ...Frank and crew did what I thought was a fantastic job with the event. Jase and I spent most of the time at the 3D line but did fly on the Main line as well. We both flew with the15-20 in the air at the same time. ...a couple "wing ticks" but that's it. It was a blast weaving and dodging through the traffic. However, if we wanted to fly where there was more room we would just fly high in the rafters or nice and low. We thought it made for some fun interesting flying!
Flying foamies are what you make it. ...if you want to have fun, just make it fun
Lord willing, we'll be back again next year
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:45 PM
Flutter-Bys are fun
United States, MI, Honor
Joined Dec 2005
5,111 Posts
If you all could go back in time and see how E-Fest has changed, there have been many improvements. The first year was fine, not bad for a first time event. Frank took the comments well and made some changes. All were to make the whole event more pilot and vendor friendly. Everything progressed well, each year changes were made, some small ones, some major ones.

The food rules have always been there and as Frank says, that is out of their hands. The food is not bad, no one expects a 5 star place to eat in the Armory. There are some interestiing old photos of the Armory on the walls, at one time it was a large dormatory for soldiers. Cots everywhere. It has an interesting history.

E-Fest has always been a fun event. I went to buy stuff, see people, get a couple flights in, I know it sounds stupid to travel 8 hours to get a few flights in, but I did. You all can make of that what it is. What was best about E-Fest was you could get answers to questions, see new products coming out, now many are published on the web via the web site or on social media and events like E-Fest, you can see the items for real. The print media still has reviews of items, but more and more, the web is the place to find out about new stuff.

I always found people quite friendly and helpful and that was where I got two kits from Mike Glass and met him and what a neat guy. The design of planes has changed over the years of foamies and so has the flying styles.

About the only drawback of the Armory is the lack of WiFi. Of course that is also out of control of anyone at E-Fest and the staff that does this event. If you have a WiFi card for you computer, then that solves that problem.

While I have not been able to attend the last two year, this event is a great event. Now with the changes I will try to attend next year.

From all the comments that have been posted, this is a 5 star event.
Frank and all his staff, deserve all the thank you's from a greatfull bunch of pilots and spectators.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
Conehead is offline Find More Posts by Conehead
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TRAMPS Air Show, 28-June 2014
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:23 PM
Northwest Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
2,678 Posts
Ditto what Conehead said. Frank and crew do a great job putting on this event. It is not easy to please everyone but they do a fantastic job. Very well organized and everyone I had contact with were friendly and helpful. That's about all you can ask for with an event of this scale.

Thanks to all who made it happen.

Scott

www.ModelAero.com
Model Aero is offline Find More Posts by Model Aero
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:22 PM
Checkertail Clan
USA, IN, Anderson
Joined Jul 2009
584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conehead View Post
From all the comments that have been posted, this is a 5 star event.
Frank and all his staff, deserve all the thank you's from a greatfull bunch of pilots and spectators.

Conehead
Orrin Eldred
What he said!
325FGP is offline Find More Posts by 325FGP
Old Feb 12, 2013, 10:42 PM
Super Cub fan
United States, IL, De Land
Joined Jul 2003
673 Posts
Just wanted to say a big thank you Frank, Angela, Carol and the help from Hobbico in producing yet another class act show! It's a lot of work and we pilots and vendors really do appreciate it.
RAFguy is offline Find More Posts by RAFguy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:16 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2006
978 Posts
Found a few pics from Sunday's prize drop. I filmed a bunch of video and I'm currently putting a recap video together!
Stay tuned!
Sleepyc is offline Find More Posts by Sleepyc
Old Feb 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Durham NC
Joined Jul 2004
3,669 Posts
Foam and Tape (Peter) is one innovative guy. This year he and his buddies had not one but THREE Osprey style tri-motor airplanes. All three motors work for VTO, then the tail motor switches off as the model transitions to forward flight. Two interview films and one flight film are up on FlightPass. Once again we're amazed at what these guys can do with a little Foam and Tape (and a few motors, servos and various electronics). Also notice that these models are really clean. A few years back the F&T models LOOKED like foam and tape. Now they look more like well designed kits.

http://flightpass.higherplaneproduct...2_itemId=61527
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:02 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Somebody named Chris preformed in the freestyle. Does anybody know his last name? I need it for a video.
skyjet is offline Find More Posts by skyjet
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:11 PM
"I like pancakes!"
Michigan
Joined Apr 2009
135 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyjet View Post
Somebody named Chris preformed in the freestyle. Does anybody know his last name? I need it for a video.
Chris Gini
jdracing3 is offline Find More Posts by jdracing3
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:13 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdracing3 View Post
Chris Gini
Thanks. I'll be posting some videos in the video section soon.
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:06 PM
Electric or Bust!
Mooresville, NC
Joined Mar 2008
1,144 Posts
My videos are now posted here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1831266