HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:11 PM
Boomer1
United States, CA, Temecula
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
Your camera work looks pretty good to me! A time tested way to pretest your boat is in a tub if it is deep enough, or a spa or pool if you have one handy. Works great to sort out water leaks at the rudder shaft or at the keel penetration, not so much for above deck leaks sources.

Boomer
Boomer1 is online now Find More Posts by Boomer1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
More gusty wind fun on the pond today!

I found that using my left hand to control sails and rudder was a bit difficult to do, but it did make using the camera easier. Made my driving and sail control a bit erratic.

I learned of a group of RC sailors who compete on a local park pond, so now I have some folks to go play with.

Today's video:

Fairwind Pond Sailing (3 min 23 sec)
Tom Ray is offline Find More Posts by Tom Ray
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:40 PM
Still showing up for breakfast
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ray View Post
More gusty wind fun on the pond today!

I found that using my left hand to control sails and rudder was a bit difficult to do, but it did make using the camera easier. Made my driving and sail control a bit erratic.

I learned of a group of RC sailors who compete on a local park pond, so now I have some folks to go play with.

Today's video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4yxsO6KNE4s
Nice video TR, great pond too.

If I may make a suggestion:

Your faithful Fairwind would get knocked down less by the gusts if you let your sails out a bit, instead of keeping them hauled in all the way while on a reach.
Sort of lets the wind roll off/spill a bit.
Bearing off the wind a little with the rudder will help too.

I realize you are sailing "handicapped", while you take these great videos at the same time, so maybe this is the reason you are doing that.
Is so, just tell me to take a hike.

I personally don't take criticism to well, and I wouldn't blame you for taking this the wrong way, but I'm assuming you would want tips from old timers with experience.
Hope so anyway.
Just trying to help really!
lilleyen is offline Find More Posts by lilleyen
Last edited by lilleyen; Feb 02, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2013, 06:23 PM
Joined Dec 2012
30 Posts
Thanks for trying, but there is no helping me!

I actually do know that stuff, but in addition to the distraction/coordination challenge of trying to sail while filming, the wind swirls around a LOT in my pond. Sometimes I can tack while maintaining a constant heading!

Glad you enjoyed the vid!
Tom Ray is offline Find More Posts by Tom Ray
Old Feb 04, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Fairwind III

Just received my Fairwind III last week and may not keep it. I payed 499.00 and will be listing it in the classifieds shortly for 375.00 shipped. Just a heads up if anyone is looking to buy.
mohsb is offline Find More Posts by mohsb
Old Feb 04, 2013, 05:01 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
mohsb
Sent you a PM -
Boomer
Old Feb 05, 2013, 04:16 AM
United States, FL, Safety Harbor
Joined Oct 2011
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
mohsb
Sent you a PM -
Boomer
Sorry got tied up last night, I will get back to you later today.
Brian
mohsb is offline Find More Posts by mohsb
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:35 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
Serenity for sale on E-bay

Fairwind look a like Proboat's Serenity for sale on E-bay - new in the box deal.
Super price @ $249.00 shipping might be a tad higher than it should be - can always ask seller to charge actual cost.
Very similar to the Fairwind but a lot less money! Worth a look?
Here's the link http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=221187637119

Boomer
Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:07 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ray View Post
Thanks for trying, but there is no helping me!

I actually do know that stuff, but in addition to the distraction/coordination challenge of trying to sail while filming, the wind swirls around a LOT in my pond. Sometimes I can tack while maintaining a constant heading!

Glad you enjoyed the vid!
Figured as much, multitasking etc.

I used to sail 1:1 cartopper sailboats in the small lake up at my brother in-laws cottage.
It is a spring fed lake on top of an old volcano, the highest point of land around, and the winds are like that there too.
Comes at you from all points on the compass!
What causes your pond to do this?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:19 AM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
I have a brand new in the box Fairwind lll for sale. RTR includes radio, stand etc.

Attractively priced - will be posting in the classified section next week. Thought I'd give a first shot here before posting. I have taken it out of the box for inspection and to take a few pictures. All is 100%. Send me a PM if you are interested.
$395.00 plus $35 shipping and insurance to lower 48.

Boomer
Old Mar 06, 2013, 05:24 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1 View Post
I have a brand new in the box Fairwind lll for sale. RTR includes radio, stand etc.

Attractively priced - will be posting in the classified section next week. Thought I'd give a first shot here before posting. I have taken it out of the box for inspection and to take a few pictures. All is 100%. Send me a PM if you are interested.
$395.00 plus $35 shipping and insurance to lower 48.

Boomer
Pretty boat! Beamy, but gorgeous.
Can't wait to get mine in the water this spring.
Only got wet twice before the water got hard up here last fall.
Last edited by lilleyen; Mar 06, 2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:28 AM
Goodoldboy
Joined Mar 2013
1 Posts
That's a really beautiful FW lll - Good price too. Have to check with the budget director, if you get my drift
Goodolddog
Goodoldboy is offline Find More Posts by Goodoldboy
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:52 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodoldboy View Post
That's a really beautiful FW lll - Good price too. Have to check with the budget director, if you get my drift
Goodolddog
So?
Inquiring minds want to know.

Did you get your Fairwind?
Old Apr 01, 2013, 02:58 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Mar 2009
1,100 Posts
Well here it is Spring, and I haven't got all my mods done on the FW yet.
Been spending too much time on my Brando Footy!

I did get the magnetic tape installed on the radio box though.

I'll post pictures here shortly.

Ok, pictures posted, couldn't resize one of them, don't know why, but it's here.
I left the sail servo arm off for clarity.

The box isn't waterproof anyway, never was, it's more of a splash and drip protector.
Aside from the opening where the sail servo protrudes through the lid, there is a groove built into the starboard side of the radio box under the lid where the wires/antenna exits, so it will keep the radio dry under most circumstances, just not if the boat sinks.
I suppose this could be made a little more waterproof with a gob of putty or something removable like that. (On my Nirvana I use a gob of orange Business Depot/Staples removable putty for sticking things on walls, works OK.)

The magnetic tape did raise the lid up a tad, creating a space under the lid where the hole for the sail servo is (it comes with some kind of black foamy stuff around the servo shaft opening meant to press down on the servo to provide a sort of seal, not too efficient), so I put a large O-ring on top of the servo before replacing the lid, not glued, just sitting there, centered. If it moves around I"ll know it's not a very tight seal either, and I can do something about it. You can see it if you look closely.

Some of the double sided tape on the magnetic tape didn't hold too well, ( I should have wiped the surfaces with alcohol first I guess), but a drop or two of thin CA fixed that problem. It's hard to work under the deck in a few places.
Last edited by lilleyen; Apr 11, 2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: add pictures
Old Apr 01, 2013, 03:13 PM
Boomer1
Joined Sep 2009
3,520 Posts
Rick
I haven't put that boat on the market yet, so, I'd suspect that he's not gotten one yet. He may still be working on the approval process?

I have a few buddies that have expressed an interest and my daughter's boyfriend has expressed an interest as well - for now it is here in it's box - nice having an extra boat on hand.

Boomer