SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Hi, guys. Sorry it took so long to get updated but I've busy and distracted; not least because of about 16 inches/400mm of new snow.

We had joked about creating a tag team division, 744 Drv, but nothing was really resolved. I just decided to post your time with a note and will leave it up unless people object. You are not, I'm afraid, eligible for the grand prize.

Did I mention the knee deep snow? Among other things I'm finally getting around to making some skis for my Yak since I would rather not land the sailplanes on the snow until there's a bit of a crust.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
A glorious winter's day here on the frozen tundra. No wind, bright sun, and warm enough that I had to unzip my jacket to cool off. I only had one flight with the Specter because, despite some crust on the snow, I packed a bunch of snow through my cooling scoops on the landing. That nice clean fuse dives right in! I'll have to see what I can do about that if I want to do much winter soaring. But? The skis worked out great on the Yak and I still had a wonderful time. I might have to make a monoski for the Specter. I figure that I could just screw a piece of plastic to the bottom of the fuse without completely wrecking the aerodynamics.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:17 PM
I ain't afraid of no highs
Spain
Joined Jun 2008
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Is this the new version of spot the ball???
I can see a dot at top of the screen and a dot between the trees, my money is on the dot at the top!

Had a go with dlg this morn and lots of flights round the 1:30 mark but I could not get any better then 1:55, gonna try again this aft seeing as its calm ish! But in between dlging I am supposed to be painting the kids bedroom( or is it the other way round?)
Yep, the dot on the top! You won 0.05 euros (I have not much money). I wanted to take a picture of the castle beneath and the plane over it.
Raining here these days or windy so... plane in hangar I mean in the car.
pilottube is offline Find More Posts by pilottube
Old Dec 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
Foam flogger
Roseville, CA
Joined Apr 2009
1,146 Posts
Forecast for the weekend is clouds and rain. Might not get to defend my title this month.
Belem is online now Find More Posts by Belem
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
United States, OK, Claremore
Joined Jun 2012
258 Posts
2 meter
Vicrider
Chrysalis E
Thermal
30:31 after 30 sec motor run
12/15/2012 12:30 pm
Claremore, Ok

Nice day out. Just a slight breeze, sunny and clear skys and about 70 degrees.
Stll learning this thermal stuff. Had several 10 minute flights between my chrysalis and wanderer. My best flight with the chrysalis it seemed I was just bumping along from one small area of lift to another. Max altitude that flight was 976 feet. Nice couple of hours by myself with really nice weather, wished I could have stayed out longer.

One of the reasons I left was cause of a couple full size planes flying low in the area. Must have been something going on in the area cause the planes where both vintage, One was a piper cub in classic yellow. the other not really sure was an aeronca k that was cream and burgandy. Both were low, not much more then a thousand feet. The cub came in to the area right before the end of my last flight. He must have spotted me cause he was headed straight towards me going south east then turned and went around me and continued on south east.
vicrider is online now Find More Posts by vicrider
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by vicrider; Dec 16, 2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jun 2012
258 Posts
After looking at what an aeronca K looks like, it wasnt what I saw, Looked more like a piper tri pacer, Except I dont remember it having a nose wheel.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: scratch fpv pusher
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Sounds like fun, vcrider. It's been warm since our snow storm but foggy so I've just been flying the 3D in the park. Could your mystery plane be a Taylorcraft? A lot of them look very much like a Tri-Pacer with conventional gear. I'm also pretty sure that they used a cream and dark red or burgundy color scheme.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:40 PM
Joined Jun 2012
258 Posts
Yes I think your right. I just looked up some images of taylor crafts, several had the same color scheme as the one I saw. Im almost certian thats what I saw. Thanks.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 16, 2012, 03:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Always happy to help. I'll tell the whole, now funny, story about almost walking into the spinning prop of an old T-Craft but it will have to wait till I'm in my cups sometime. The short version is that they exercise a certain fatal attraction for me and they are often on my mind. But? There's not enough tranquilizer on the planet to get me within a quarter mile of one with a spinning prop!

And that includes models since a certain flier with more money than sense flew a 20 lb. gas T-Craft through a windshield about 40 feet from where I was standing. I'm not a religious man but I get the message after the second hint. If I see one bigger than an indoor foamy getting prepped? I find other things to do.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jun 2012
258 Posts
After hearing that, If I was you I wouldnt want to get near one eather.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 02:06 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Thermals really are few and far between now and very weak and turbulent sinky air seems to be the norm, yesterday was nice though, I managed to fly for a few hours on and off but most flights were round the 1 minute mark with the odd one here and there a bit longer and one flight where I found a small weak thermal and followed it for 3 mins at no more then 50ft over the allotments.
Difficult conditions but suprisingly still fun and challenging cause the air is still up and down and so finding stuff that is not going down as fast as the rest of the air and finding it FAST so as not to come down as fast and then catching in the turbulence really keeps me on my toes.
Obviously I'm fooling myself and I really want some nice calm days with some lovely thermals but have to make the most of it lol.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:18 AM
yorkshire UK
Joined Oct 2007
4,719 Posts
Hand launch:

nigel sheffield
Glider name: blaster 2 DLG
Thermal or Slope: slope
Date and Time of flight:19/12/2012 10:33pm
Duration of flight: 8:18

Winds were wild 16 to 35 mph but coming up the hill for a change so I gave it a go, great fun and very risky but managed some pretty good flights even so, only lasted 40 mins though as my hands were frozen and could move them fast enough to correct for the winds/turbulence.
nigelsheffield is online now Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Dec 22, 2012, 07:16 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
Nice work, nigel. I got out for my first serious winter soaring today. Bright sun, no wind, and about 28F. There was a fair amount of lift but the ceiling on it was about 500 feet so it took a lot of climbs to stay up but I managed almost an hour before my fingers got too cold. The Specter dives into snow like a torpedo.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 08:47 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,834 Posts
It looks like winter has set in, despite all the CO2 we release, for those of us in the northern hemisphere. So, since the opportunities to fly will be rather limited for awhile, I'll just use this opportunity to wish that everyone has a peaceful and warm holiday season.

Cheers!
Old Dec 25, 2012, 08:51 AM
Fly It Like You Stole It !!
United States, MA, Pittsfield
Joined Sep 2011
245 Posts
Merry Christmas

Hello to Everyone who follows this thread. Weather in New England has sucked for flying the past few weeks, so I've been working indoors on a few winter projects.

Just wanted to post up here and wish everyone a Very Merry Christmas! Peace to All...

Murph (Sailplane Pilot trapped in the Snow Covered Hills of Berkshire County, MA.)
Paulbilbo91z9f is offline Find More Posts by Paulbilbo91z9f