SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 19, 2001, 12:07 PM
Lexington, South Carolina
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Need help building my first foam cut glider

Hello,
I just finished building a hot foam cutter,and I've been practicing with it for several days now. I'm ready to build my first foam sailplane. I'm looking for plans or web sites that can offer a beginner help. I want to start out with something small, and easy to build. If you have any ideas, or can help, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,
Steven
Steven9026 is offline Find More Posts by Steven9026
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 19, 2001, 12:30 PM
Winchester; Ohio
Joined Feb 2001
876 Posts
Take a look at the Terminator. Nice HLG with a cut foam wing. Free plans on-line http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl...minatorhlg.htm

Adam
Adam Neat is offline Find More Posts by Adam Neat
Old Nov 19, 2001, 05:34 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
Steven, I encourage you to experiment. I recently built this HLG from scratch and I've been having a ball with it. Fuse pod is 1/8" balsa frame with 3/4" foam sandwiched on either side, then shaped. I left a 3/8" X 3" slot in the rear where the boom inserts and epoxied the CF boom in place. Tail is sheet balsa, wing is 3/4" foam (blue, from home depot about $8 4X8' sheet), airfoil is E193 at 12% (too thick) and it has a carbon fiber arrow shaft spar ($5 sporting goods store) running from the center to the poly break. Wing tips simply taped on. Hell, the wing is simply taped on! Two HS-55 servos, a 300mAh Rx pack, one large Hitec AM 3ch Rx (case removed). AUW is about 6Oz for a wing loading of about 4 Oz/ft2. Float like a feather, but I think a thinner foil would help launch height (about 60'). I threw this thing together in about 4 hours time. I can throw it as hard as I can, or nose it straight in without any damage.

Today I hand launched (discus style) into a thermal and specked it out in about 4 minutes. Did 20 consecutive loops and some inverted flight to loose altitude (at lunch, had to go back to work!) and intentionally landed after 14 minutes or so. First thermal hand launch! What a blast!

Moral is cut out a wing, slap something together and try it. Doesnt have to be pretty. Cut another wing and try it. Its so quick that you can end up with a great little plane in short order and cheaply, and learn a lot in the process.

Good luck,
Scott

PS, tonnight I'm cutting out a new wing for this beast with a thinner airfoil. I love the E193 though -- I'll just thin it to about 8% and give it a go.
Far4nugn is offline Find More Posts by Far4nugn
Old Nov 19, 2001, 05:37 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
One more pic

Just after a discus launch, nice form!
Old Nov 19, 2001, 07:59 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,183 Posts
Take a look at the Little Nipper.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/littlenipper

Small, inexpensive to build, very light, very well designed.
John Gallagher is online now Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Nov 20, 2001, 01:00 PM
Hillsboro, OR
Joined Sep 2001
62 Posts
Yo Far!

Interesting scratch build. Any sketches on that beasty? What design is it based on?

Jay
jhopkins is offline Find More Posts by jhopkins
Old Nov 20, 2001, 01:16 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Nov 2000
576 Posts
yep, its _interesting_

No sketches or anything, I just threw it together on the fly. WS is ... lemme check ... 50", about 5.5" chord, E193 12%. Tail surfaces need to be bigger, but they are about 10" span and 3.5" high. It has nearly no (neutral) pitch damping, so when you stal it, it will continue to porpoise if you dont correct it (natural now). The tips were my first tapered foam panels, cut by holding one end of my bow stationary on the bench, and following a template on the other side of the foam block. So the tip is identical (but smaller) than the root of the tip panel. Also, before I cut out the tip panels, I propped up the FRONT/outboard corner of the foam block about 1/8" (the block was twisted), so that when I was finished I had built in an 1/8" of washout...

The servo mounting is kinda neat, and I"ll use it again... simply cut out a recess across the top of the fuse near the CG, taped the two HS-55's bottom to bottom, and laid them in the recess... A piece of strapping tape on top (flush with the fuse top) and it was done. The wing actually lays down on the servos as part of the wing 'saddle'.

Over this past w/e, I tried motorizing this thing. I ended up installing a DF unit from an old heat gun on top of the wing with an MFA Rocket400 and 8X350 pack on the nose. Could barely maintain altitude, and ate the batts fast, so I installed a Zagi system on a stand on top of the wing and wow, 11Oz AUW, it climber like mad, but didnt last long.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 09:06 PM
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Many thanks to everyone who responded. I'm really looking forward to trying some of the designs out.

Happy Flying,
Happy Thanksgiving

Steven
Old Nov 21, 2001, 09:17 PM
Joined Oct 2001
514 Posts
Scott,
Hey thanks for all the info. you sent me. I love the plane that is in the first pix that you sent. I would love to build one just like it, and I wanted to ask you for your permission. If it is ok with you, do you have any plans or pixs that can show me a little more detail?

Thanks,
Steven