SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by pmullen503, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:41 AM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,715 Posts
The Bellancas are pretty cool. The Aircruiser especially is a real oddball and thus very tempting. Neither really suitable for heat forming the fuselage and the Aircruiser would be a pain the transport unless you made it small enough to keep in one piece.

I've learned that if I build something fussy to take apart and put together it tends to spend a lot of time in the hanger.
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:52 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmullen503 View Post
I've learned that if I build something fussy to take apart and put together it tends to spend a lot of time in the hanger.
^^ That's another reason why I love biplanes... large scale but small (relatively) footprint. I measured and I'll be able to fit the 1/7 scale P6-E in my SUV without disassembly.

I think the Aircruiser wouldn't be too bad if built cleverly. 4 pieces: top wing, each bottom wing, fuselage. The landing gear and jury struts stay with the bottom wings (which each affix to the fuselage with a single hinge-pin). The interplane struts stay with the top wing and fold flat. The flying wires are just elastic loops that slip off when not in use. Sure, it would take some assembly... but the size of it makes it easy to get to everything. And just imagine how floaty it would be if made from foam! People's jaws would drop if you did a 5mph fly-by
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Last edited by warhead_71; Dec 06, 2012 at 10:01 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:00 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,136 Posts
I just had a thought. Instead of making the wings removable, how about make the fuselage break in half? The front half of the fuselage and wings would stay together, and then just remove the tail. The empennage servos could remain with the tail so all you have to do is plug them into the RX -- no messing around with pushrods, etc.
warhead_71 is online now Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:14 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
I just had a thought. Instead of making the wings removable, how about make the fuselage break in half? The front half of the fuselage and wings would stay together, and then just remove the tail. The empennage servos could remain with the tail so all you have to do is plug them into the RX -- no messing around with pushrods, etc.
Good idea, probably easier to do too.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 11:02 AM
United States, MN, Detroit Lakes
Joined Jan 2005
4 Posts
Hello!

Pat!

Dugg Koolman's other buddy, Fred, checkin' in to say "howdy". Very interesting stuff you build just as Dugg has always told me. As you know, being at Keet's this past weekend, too much white ground cover to get out to our flying site for winter build/assemblies maidens.

Cheers,
Fred
Detroit Lakes.
vitonam is offline Find More Posts by vitonam
Old Apr 16, 2013, 12:23 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitonam View Post
Pat!

Dugg Koolman's other buddy, Fred, checkin' in to say "howdy". Very interesting stuff you build just as Dugg has always told me. As you know, being at Keet's this past weekend, too much white ground cover to get out to our flying site for winter build/assemblies maidens.

Cheers,
Fred
Detroit Lakes.
Pleased to make your (virtual) acquaintance Fred. Old Nine Toes has told me much about you too.

Pat