HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by pmullen503, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 05:37 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
You're my hero!
warhead_71 is offline Find More Posts by warhead_71
Old Dec 03, 2012, 06:23 PM
United States, WI, Fond du Lac
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71 View Post
You're my hero!
Thanks, I only hope my builds can someday equal yours!
pmullen503 is online now Find More Posts by pmullen503
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:04 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Oh c'mon... I plagiarized almost everything I know from guys like you here on RCG. I really love your Beech D-18 and it's a shame it wasn't done in time for Build Off #5. One day we'll have to get together and fly... Fond Du Lac isn't too far away for a weekend trip.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 10:00 AM
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
That would be great.

The FDL club hosts Warbirds over the Midwest each year and it's an awesome event.

Interested in going a co-build? It's so easy, fast, and cheap for me to make extra fuselages once I have the mold it always seemed a shame not to make several copies of a plane.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:19 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Warbirds over the Midwest looks awesome. I guess I'll have to break down and get an AMA membership.

Co-build? What did you have in mind? I have several planes on the drawing board for this winter, but I've always wanted to do the P-61, and I love your D-18 and Vega (well, I like them all, but those jump out at me). I was planning to build either a 48" Consolidated Fleet or a 54" Curtiss P6-E... I'm rather fond of biplanes
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:27 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Well, I've got a few in mind. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 80" DH-91 Albatross. It would be my first 4 motor plane. I think it's just dead sexy, like some art-deco fever dream. I was going to build it specifically for Warbirds over the Midwest (80" minimum WS) The only hesitation I have is that it's so big I would probably have to join the club (and AMA) to have a place to fly it. The round fuselage and nacelles will be easy to form. I'll have to do the fuse in two pieces because it's about 5' long!

Second would be a 68" P-61 (or maybe an F-15A Reporter variant). I've built two smaller P-61s and they have the wing area and proportions to be naturally good flyers. They look really cool too. Retracts are slightly problematic because they are all >90 degrees but there work arounds that will allow the use of 90 servo-less retracts. I'd form the rudders integral with the rest of the booms. The constant chord center wing makes cutting the wing saddle on the fuse and booms a piece of cake. All that glass means it really needs a detailed cockpit which isn't my favorite thing to work on.

Third would be to continue my Lockheed Vega series. I still need to make the Air Express and Altair models. Naturally good flyers, especially the Vega, the only issue is better battery access. The short nose meant moving the battery under the cowl. My Vega has a 2 piece cowl that comes off to access the battery (a pain to make and the seam shows), the Sirius has a one piece cowl and to change the battery you have to remove the prop and pop off the cowl (a nuisance every flight). I'm thinking of building the next one with a Cowl-Motor-Battery box module that slides out as a unit held with a pin or maybe a cam-loc fastener.

The Consolidated Fleet is boxy so it's best done with flat depron (or built up balsa). The Curtiss is a better candidate since the fuselage is more curvy. I'd have to think about how to simulate the fabric covered areas. I like the airplane and unlike many biplanes of that era, the nose looks long enough to balance without too much trouble.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 12:42 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
This plane looks right up your alley... and the paint job would make it stand out from the crowd:

Hall Cicada racer from 1932?
Last edited by warhead_71; Dec 04, 2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 04:46 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
3 View?

I wonder how close the fuselage is in shape and proportions to the Vega. Might be able to use that and graft the turtle deck onto it. Easy enough to make a new form, doesn't look too complex. I've got to figure out how to simulate fabric and stringers. Maybe just apply balsa stringers over the foam shells and cover with tissue or film.

The wing would be the tough part. If I'm reading the shape right (like a bug's wing) it would almost have to be built up in balsa and covered. Of course, if someone could design the wing generate the files for a laser cutter..........
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
I believe the wing is like the Hall Bulldog, but with about 3-4 degrees of sweep.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:45 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Probably right, without the gull wing of course. Nice thing about less frequently modeled subjects: who's going to know if the lines and proportions aren't perfectly accurate?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Here's another -- nice side view.

Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:08 PM
Joined Sep 2008
1,683 Posts
Played with getting stringer lines into the foam fuselage. I took a rejected shell and marked some stringer lines. The applied a masking tape as a sanding mask and block sanded the area between the tapes flat.

Came out pretty good for a first try. The stringer lines are wavy because the shell wasn't block sanded first. It still has the small hills and valleys from the molding process. A harder, straighter masking edge is needed; maybe thin plastic with double sided tape. Maybe mist the foam with black spray paint first so you can see what you are removing.

My first thought would be to coat it with Sytro-spray 1000 rather than cover it with paper or fiberglass.

Looks doable though and really wouldn't take that long.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:37 PM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
I faked stringers in my Goshawk by slightly scoring/folding the FFF as I skinned the plane. It's subtle, but shows up well with the silver paint:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2105609
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=2013766

Of course, the Goshawk has far fewer stringers and more of a blocky fuselage so it was pretty easy. Your masking tape idea seems to work great. You might even cheat a little and "scallop" the grooves a little with a rounded sanding block.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 10:23 AM
Always Ready!
Chicago, IL
Joined Dec 2006
5,103 Posts
Changing the subject a little, I always wanted to do a Bellanca Skyrocket or Aircruiser out of foam. The flat-sided fuselages and flat-bottom wings would make them easy subjects to re-create out of sheet foam. I've always thought these planes were "wonderfully ugly" with the blocky profile and giant radial engine out front.... and they look great on floats too. They would be so easy to build that making them giant-scale should take no time at all. And imagine the ridiculously slow fly-by's you could do if it had a 10-ft wingspan and weighed only 7-8lbs.