kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:12 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Here's my review:

Ares Ethos QX 75 Quadcopter - Review and Maiden Flight (8 min 22 sec)
theimacman is online now Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:14 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelloggair View Post
lol, jason any estimate on the light kit availiablity date?
The goal is ASAP, but in the world of product development that can sometimes be relatively quick or relatively not so no guarantees just yet That said we'll be sure to keep everyone updated as development and production progress!

Also, we should be posting some cool video of the Ethos QX 75 in the next few days so please keep an eye out here and on our Facebook page! In the meantime we just got word that the first release from our all-new Innovaitve Flight Technologies (IFT) brand is on the way to stores now and will be available in some just before Christmas. It's not a quad but something very, very cool that we've been working hard on for quite a while so please check it out:

www.IFTRC.com

IFT Evolve 300 CX RTF and RFR with Collision Avoidance Technology (C.A.T.) (3 min 24 sec)
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:35 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
nice video iceman, correct me if im wrong but did you post a video of the qr1 also?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:46 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Quote:
nice video iceman, correct me if im wrong but did you post a video of the qr1 also?
Yep, that is correct.

And, thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:53 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
i thought i recognized the bass lol
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Quote:
i thought i recognized the bass lol
LOL, nice. Maybe I should keep that in all my videos, as a way to brand myself. hehe
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:00 PM
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
hey why not i just thought it was funny, when i first watched you video of the qr1 it took me a minute to realize what it was, brain fart
Old Dec 21, 2012, 03:19 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Here's my review:
Cool video theimacman! And although there were a few bumps along the way (no worries...the EQX75 is pretty darn durable!), nice piloting in such a small space!

Also, a few quick notes:

- It was great to see how smooth and stable the EQX75 is right out of the box It definitely surprises and impresses a lot of people, especially those that have flown some of the other more 'twitchy' quads out there.

- Gotta love the smooth, quiet sound of the motors/props....almost everyone that sees and flies it has made note of that

- The transmitter can take some getting used to (especially for those that might spend more time on PlayStation than Xbox ), and although I'm pretty picky about the overall 'feel' of a transmitter case and sticks/gimbals, it actually feels pretty good and works very well overall (and in some ways better than many of the 'stock' transmitters included with other micro quads, helis and airplanes).

- Regarding the elevator trim buttons, here's a quick note from the manual:

The unique position of the elevator trim buttons is due to the ergonomic design of the transmitter. The functions of these buttons are clearly noted on the corresponding label and it will not typically be necessary to adjust the elevator trim position after it’s been set correctly.

For the most part I almost never touch the elevator trim buttons and fortunately it's easy to get used to how they work if you do ever need to use them.

- We did originally plan to go with a higher rate for rudder/yaw response, but in the end decided to go with a rate that was a bit more manageable for a wider range of pilots/skill levels. And while it's not possible to adjust the rate/response for each channel, most pilots will hopefully find the overall response to offer a pretty good balance in high and low rates.

- Regarding the 'Automatic Flip Mode' indications, here's a quick note from the manual:

The Automatic Flip Mode (AFM) is activated by pressing the ‘AUTO FLIP MODE’ button (the left side of the rocker switch) located on the top left ‘corner’ of the transmitter. You will feel a ‘click’ and also hear continuous audible beeps/tones that indicate you’ve activated AFM after pressing the button. At the same time the LED indicator on the 4‐in‐1 control unit will switch from glowing solid green to glowing solid red.

That in mind you cannot activate AFM unless the throttle stick is raised above the lowest possible position (so you won't see/hear the indications if you have the stick all the way down as you did in the video).

BTW, I lived in Champaign for a few years and just the other day was thinking about how much I missed eating at ZA'S (not sure if you ever eat there, but if you do, I'll admit I'm a bit jealous....though I don't miss the cold weather quite so much!).
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:40 PM
Flyin' Ryan
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Thanks for the reply and compliments, Jason M!

It was you and your posts that I was referring to about the LED kit (as I assume you figured out. heh). I'm really looking forward to that.

I have a bad habit of not reading the manual clearly. I did manage to figure out after the video that flip mode only activates while the throttle is active.

I am quite familiar with the Xbox controller, as I used to be a game tester at a local development studio, called Volition (makers of Red Faction, Saints Row, etc.). As a "pincher" pilot, these 'ergonomic' controllers don't really account for us. They seem to be geared towards the thumb guys. While it's not impossible to use the pinch method with these, it's definitely not perfect. However, I didn't notice any issues with the feel of the sticks once I started flying the Ethos, which I forgot to mention in the video.

For my own curiosity... do you know the meaning behind the "75" in the name?

And, that's cool that you used to live here. We have some pretty major RC developers here (Horizon Hobby and Hobbico/Tower Hobbies), but not much of an RC scene, surprisingly. And, yes, we have numerous Za's here now, and I love it.
Old Dec 23, 2012, 02:39 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello everyone,

As promised, some cool video of the Ethos QX 75

Ares Ethos QX 75 Nano-Micro RTF Quadcopter (1 min 47 sec)

We also have some 'raw' indoor flying footage we'll post ASAP!
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:09 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
472 Posts
Quote:
For my own curiosity... do you know the meaning behind the "75" in the name?
75 percent finished
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Old Dec 24, 2012, 01:31 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
75 percent finished
Size

a lot of the helis no matter the brand use size references like 75, 125, 180, 300,400 and so on.

Like the IFT Evolve 300 that Jason posted a video of up above 300 is its size. Speaking of the Evolve that thing flies like a dream. I am proud to say I may be the first non-developer of the heli to get to fly it. All I have to say is it flies night and day better than any other co-axial that I have flown.

So before this thread gets totally hijacked the 75 stands for size
huskerfreak is online now Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Old Dec 25, 2012, 11:44 AM
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
little bit dissapointed here jason, went to fly mine this morning and the LR motor spins continuosly as if it is shorted to power somewhere on the board, so now i have to wait till tommorow to return it and hopefully get a new one.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 02:23 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello kelloggair,

Very sorry to hear that, and although it's not a problem I've seen or heard of before, rest assured the store will replace the model under warranty ASAP.
RCG Plus Member