HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:20 PM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
FyreSG's Avatar
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,575 Posts
Weathervane or sail effect do apply to micro quads. On the same battery pack, I flew my V939 with a big Kinder Joy case vs the stock low profile canopy. I had to fight the winds more with the big canopy on.
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:46 PM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
403 Posts
Exactly, this canopy appears to have more than twice the surface area compared to the LB type ones.
XFM is offline Find More Posts by XFM
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:05 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Speculation and assumptions are common on internet forums, and I've seen quite a bit in my 16 years as one of the first members here It's also the reason I try to fly all models I'm interested in first-hand...so I can form my own opinion based on the facts of my own experience. In this case I've flown the model quite a bit with the body on, off, indoors and outdoors in the wind, and am simply offering information based on my first-hand experience (and would suggest that others do the same after they too have first-hand experience flying the model).

And while MassiveOverkill assumes otherwise, yes, I have indeed flown some of those models. And no, I do not deny physics...it's the reason why models that weigh less than 2 ounces will not be fun for the vast majority of pilots to fly in 10-15mph winds (regardless of 'programming'). Of course what one deems as 'fun' is a bit subjective, but in this case it's hard to assume that most pilots of any skill level would want to fly such small and light models in so much wind (especially when there are so many larger quads and CP helis out there that will fly much better in 10-15+mph winds).
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 09:30 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,797 Posts
Jason you haven't been following this forum much have you?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...r_%20Jason%20M

You're completely side-stepping the main physics issue, which is the size of the canopy. Something I won't even ignore that fact with the V202 we're ordering, which is why we also ordered beetle canopies for it for those that prefer aerodynamics over looks (although I think the Scorpion canopy looks ugly myself).

So exactly which models have you flown? You're saying the Ares Ethos is better than the Hubsan, LB, and RC Eye One? Those specific quads can handle the same winds that you say no quad can.

The fun is when you don't have to sit inside playing with your quad when conditions aren't ideal outside. It's the whole reason why the direct-driven micros are becoming more popular than the geared minis in the sub $90 range.

Now you're going to tell me no one should fly their quad at night right? Because that's no fun and LED lights are overrated.
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:05 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Jason you haven't been following this forum much have you?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...r_%20Jason%20M
Another assumption And just because I don't post on every forum and thread I read doesn't mean I don't follow lots of them very closely each day. Keep in mind that I not only work professionally in the industry...this is also my hobby and passion outside of work (hence the reason I've been a member here since '96).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
You're completely side-stepping the main physics issue, which is the size of the canopy. Something I won't even ignore that fact with the V202 we're ordering, which is why we also ordered beetle canopies for it for those that prefer aerodynamics over looks (although I think the Scorpion canopy looks ugly myself).

So exactly which models have you flown? You're saying the Ares Ethos is better than the Hubsan, LB, and RC Eye One? Those specific quads can handle the same winds that you say no quad can.

The fun is when you don't have to sit inside playing with your quad when conditions aren't ideal outside. It's the whole reason why the direct-driven micros are becoming more popular than the geared minis in the sub $90 range
Not side-stepping any issue at all, though it seems others might be when assuming the vast majority of pilots will actually enjoy flying any of those models in winds of 10-15mph. Also, being able to 'handle' the winds and 'flying well in them' are very different things...none of which are the topic of this thread.

And back on topic...until you fly our model first-hand all else is speculation. Please also keep in mind that we do not specifically state the model is to be flown in anything more than "...calm to light wind conditions." But with your vested interest in selling competitive products (one of which I've flown quite a bit), these might be moot points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Now you're going to tell me no one should fly their quad at night right? Because that's no fun and LED lights are overrated.
Au contraire, hence the reason we've already been working to develop the LED light kit option in hopes of offering the best possible orientation for the Ethos QX 75 day and night And those that own or have seen the Ethos QX 75 in person may have noticed the extra connector intentionally included on our version control unit to make connection of the light kit quick and easy.
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Dec 07, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:14 PM
Step 1: Tear it apart
MassiveOverkill's Avatar
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
4,797 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
Au contraire, hence the reason we've already been working to develop the LED light kit option in hopes of offering the best possible orientation for the Ethos QX 75 day and night And those that own or have seen the Ethos QX 75 in person may have noticed the extra connector intentionally included on our version control unit to make connection of the light kit quick and easy.
Now that's what I like to see, a company adapting to what the market wants. I'm sure you could offer another canopy for those that want to do more spirited outside flight as well.

Jason, why don't you send send one to any other member who's active in this subforum to do a review?
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by MassiveOverkill; Dec 06, 2012 at 11:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:18 PM
Registered User
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Jun 2012
554 Posts
I think this should be settled with a duel. In the Thunderdrone. Two micro-quads enter. One micro-quad leaves.


Seriously, we need some kind of comprehensive course for all the micros to be evaluated with. A Flying Arena for the RTF's.
variantman is offline Find More Posts by variantman
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:30 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
I like the fact this model has a tail, should make flying it easier. Can this be ordered online from somewhere other than Hobbytown?
Kamakzie is offline Find More Posts by Kamakzie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:42 PM
Registered User
huskerfreak's Avatar
Joined Sep 2008
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I like the fact this model has a tail, should make flying it easier. Can this be ordered online from somewhere other than Hobbytown?
You can only order it online from HobbyTown. What is the difference if you order from HobbyTown online or some where else?
huskerfreak is offline Find More Posts by huskerfreak
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 06, 2012, 10:43 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Cedar Springs
Joined Jul 2011
124 Posts
$5 in taxes I'm cheap.
Kamakzie is offline Find More Posts by Kamakzie
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 07, 2012, 09:28 PM
If it flies, I can crash it.
sleb's Avatar
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,483 Posts
Jason, in regard to my post I was speaking about parts for the 1sq, no parts are available online or at my HobbyTown yet. The nine eagle alien is the basis for the 1sq. The 75 looks good to me and if my Hobby town carries it and spare parts that would definitely push me into picking one up. If I do I will post a direct comparison. I do like that Ares is making affordable quality rc planes, copters and quads.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:19 AM
Registered User
Ozark,AR
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
I looked at one of these in Hobby town the other day and it looks really cool. How does this one compare to the one made by Traxxas? I think the Traxxas is 20 to 30 dollars more.

thanks,
Jeff
arauser is offline Find More Posts by arauser
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:43 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Jason, in regard to my post I was speaking about parts for the 1sq, no parts are available online or at my HobbyTown yet. The nine eagle alien is the basis for the 1sq. The 75 looks good to me and if my Hobby town carries it and spare parts that would definitely push me into picking one up. If I do I will post a direct comparison. I do like that Ares is making affordable quality rc planes, copters and quads.
Hello sleb,

Sorry to hear about parts for the 1SQ, and if there's one critical detail myself and the guys I work with learned as consumers and in developing some of the highest-volume selling helis (and parts!) in the industry, it's that parts support and availability is actually more important than availability of the model itself....even if it's as durable as the Ethos QX 75

And although the first shipment of quads and parts is literally flying off the shelves in many stores (some stores are sold out of quads now!), after the next shipment arrives in the warehouse on Monday there should be more than enough quads and parts in stock for all stores. It'll also give us an opportunity to send out a few more review models to guys including Jon Barnes (Bajora here on the forum...he puts together some great and very popular reviews for the E Zone/RCG and now also HDFlyer.com) in addition to the Ethos QX 75s the guys at 2 Brothers Hobby (2bfly.com) and Maplegate (Fly RC/Heli Pilot magainzes) are in the process of reviewing now. Hopefully some of those reviews will be out in the next few weeks, but in the meantime definitely be sure to check out your local HobbyTown store to see if they have the quads in stock and maybe even a demo unit on hand.

Thank you also for the kind words and we'll continue working hard to develop models that offer great value and performance backed with some of the best possible support and spare parts availability!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 11:49 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arauser View Post
I looked at one of these in Hobby town the other day and it looks really cool. How does this one compare to the one made by Traxxas? I think the Traxxas is 20 to 30 dollars more.

thanks,
Jeff
Hello Jeff,

You might have seen the related thread and video already, but if not check this out when you have a chance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=pEPoa_F75jM

Your local store might also have a demo unit on hand for the Ethos QX 75 so you can see how it flies first-hand!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 08, 2012, 05:23 PM
Registered User
York, ne
Joined Feb 2005
599 Posts
saw one fly at Hobbytown today..

Amazing, he's getting a shipment in next week and I had him reserve one for me. Stable, but not so much so that it seems automatic. He was not a quad guy but he put it exactly where he wanted it with little effort and a ton of fun.

CAN'T WAIT TO GET MINE! Nice job in the design of these!
melcrose is offline Find More Posts by melcrose
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Product Ares NANO-MICRO Tiger Moth 75 Doug Sipprell Micro Ready-to-Fly 115 Apr 18, 2014 08:37 PM
Discussion Ares Tiger Moth 75 Nano-Micro RTF and WOT (Without Transmitter) Jason M Micro Ready-to-Fly 19 Jul 31, 2013 07:44 PM
For Sale Ares Nano-Micro Stick RTF Propnutz Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 May 31, 2012 09:12 PM
Sold Ares nano micro stick 75 RTF $45 3d astronaut Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Mar 08, 2012 06:47 PM
Wanted micro or nano quadcopter RRT Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 3 Feb 12, 2012 08:34 PM