to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:11 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2011
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
On the Christmas tree
I was going to decorate our tree with hanging quads instead of ornaments, but the fiancee turned me down
MassiveOverkill is online now Find More Posts by MassiveOverkill
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:40 AM
Quad guys are 4x the fun :)
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2012
833 Posts
At 3.7" inches in length it's the same size as the QRLB...I like the canopy a bit...I'm assuming it's got a proprietary protocol so it won't play nice with other Tx's...
BD Murdock is offline Find More Posts by BD Murdock
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:54 PM
Greenville Tx.
Joined Oct 2006
20 Posts
just picked up one today, man what a blast, tested it with other helis at 2.4 and had no problems. did flip it indoors, lol nice, need at least 10 ft ceilings hehe. flew super smooth. cant wait to get it outside
smoothone is offline Find More Posts by smoothone
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:59 AM
If it flies, I can crash it.
Cleveland, Ohio, United States
Joined Nov 2003
1,507 Posts
Have to check this one out. I have a 1sq but parts are still hard to find. If my local Hobbytown has it and spare parts, I will have to get one. That's where I got my 1sq. No parts for the 1sq at the store at all yet.
sleb is offline Find More Posts by sleb
Last edited by sleb; Dec 05, 2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old Dec 05, 2012, 02:58 AM
Hungary EU
Joined May 2007
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleb View Post
Have to check this one out. I have a 1sq but parts are still hard to find. If my local Hobbytown has it and spare parts, I will have to get one. That's where I got my 1sq. No parts for the 1sq at the store at all yet.
At Towerhobby.com you can find spares, or try to find parts for Nine Eagles Alien, which is the similar model. /OFF
bulesz is offline Find More Posts by bulesz
Old Dec 05, 2012, 03:56 AM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulesz View Post
At Towerhobby.com you can find spares, or try to find parts for Nine Eagles Alien, which is the similar model. /OFF
Please note that the Ethos QX 75 is not produced by Nine Eagles, nor are any of the parts compatible with the Alien or Heli-Max 1SQ.

Also, parts are in stock in stores now and will be available in (very plentiful ) supply from HobbyTown.com when the next shipment arrives (later this week/next week). That said the Ethos QX 75 is remarkably durable so it should not typically be necessary to replace parts often (especially parts other than the props/rotor blades...and a spare set of those is already included in the box)
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 03:08 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
Hello everyone,

The Ethos QX 75 is so easy to fly and durable even 'car' guys like it Here's a quick video preview/review from the guys over at www.BigSquidRC.com:

ARES RC ETHOS QX 75 Quad Copter Review - Big Squid RC (3 min 57 sec)

Also, we're in the proess of wrapping up video production for an extremely innovative and industry-first new release this week (you'll see the ad in the upcoming issue of RC Heli Pilot that mails next week), and after that goes live we'll be working to wrap up official video for the Ethos QX 75 (and sorry we're a bit behind on this as we have a number of new releases hitting just in time for Christmas, including the really big one next week!).

On a related note we'll show in the video that it's easy to flip and roll the Ethos QX 75 without losing much or any altitude at all. We also outline this a bit in the manual, and with some practice most pilots will be able to perform stationary and even traveling flips/rolls indoors and out!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Dec 06, 2012 at 03:25 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 06:25 AM
Joined Feb 2011
5,185 Posts
Hey Jason, I'm sure everyone would like to see an outdoor review with the Ares Ethos QX 75 running in moderate 10-15mph winds to see how it stacks up to the competition. Thanks.
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
5,112 Posts
I saw the video. Seems like quite a considerable amount altitude was lost right after a flip. Could be due to the heavy canopy.
FyreSG is offline Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:41 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyreSG View Post
I saw the video. Seems like quite a considerable amount altitude was lost right after a flip. Could be due to the heavy canopy.
Actually no, as the canopy/body weighs about the same as the UFO and lady bug bodies similar models include (keep in mind it's completely hollow, and it's probably better to not speculate without having seen or weighed one ).

Also, this was included in my post above:

"On a related note we'll show in the video (we put together) that it's easy to flip and roll the Ethos QX 75 without losing much or any altitude at all. We also outline this a bit in the manual, and with some practice most pilots will be able to perform stationary and even traveling flips/rolls (without losing altitude) indoors and out!"

Simply put, adding power just before the flip starts, and keeping it up until the flip ends, is the best way to perform the flip without losing much or any altitude. FWIW the guys flying in the video are new to flying quads and the Ethos QX 75, and are obviously not adding power before and keeping it up through the flips. Those of us that have flown the Ethos QX 75 know this first-hand and we'll show it very clearly in the video we put together
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:54 AM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveOverkill View Post
Hey Jason, I'm sure everyone would like to see an outdoor review with the Ares Ethos QX 75 running in moderate 10-15mph winds to see how it stacks up to the competition. Thanks.
Our video will show indoor and outdoor flying in some wind. That said, having flown the model in your avatar, most other models in this class and the Ethos QX 75 quite a bit (all of which weigh less than about 2 ounces/50g RTF), I can honestly say that it's not much fun to fly any of them in 10-15 mph winds.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Dec 06, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:59 PM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
415 Posts
Maybe it's the vertical stabilizer thingy acting as a weathervane in wind.

Do you have other canopies planned ?
I like the unique shape of this one, for indoors.
XFM is online now Find More Posts by XFM
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:04 PM
17 years on RCG!
Joined Dec 1996
3,119 Posts
The vertical fin has no such noticeable effect on flight performance in the wind. The fact is, no sub 2 ounce quadcopter in this class will be fun fly in 10-15mph winds (3-5mph isn't bad, and 5-10mph is probably still fun for some pilots, but 10-15mph will not be fun for the vast majority of pilots out there).

And because the canopy/body design is unique, looks great, offers improved visibility for better orientation and has no negative impact on flight performance (not even outdoors in the wind) we have no immediate plans to offer any other canopies/bodies (though many of the UFO, lady bug and other bodies out there will or can be made to fit if you prefer those ).
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 06, 2012, 08:16 PM
Joined Feb 2011
5,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
The vertical fin has no such noticeable effect on flight performance in the wind. The fact is, no sub 2 ounce quadcopter in this class will be fun fly in 10-15 mph winds.

And because the canopy/body design is unique, looks great, offers improved visibility for better orientation and has no negative impact on flight performance (not even outdoors in the wind) we have no plans to offer any other canopies/bodies (though I'm sure many of the UFO, lady bug and other bodies out there will fit if you prefer those ).
You have not flown the H36, RC Eye One, Walkera LB, or the Hubsan. There are people who have, in those conditions, including myself (speaking for H36 and Hubsan). There are plenty of vidoes on YouTube proving this. Soon we'll know if we can add the V202 to that category.

Your statment is technically right in that most won't be fun as there are 2000 different variants of quads on the market and only the creme de la creme can fly in windy conditions due to their excellent programming.

Your canopy, while great for orientation and looks decent is a big parachute in the wind. You can't deny physics, i'ts one of the reasons why the Hubsan simply laughs at the wind.......look at its profile.
Site Sponsor