SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:57 PM
United States, NE, Lincoln
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfl View Post
Appreciate the input. My experience with helis has been solely co-ax which became boring quite frankly and was looking for something fairly easy and fun to fly while waiting for spring fixed wing time. The qx 75 looked interesting with the "flip" feature but was told by the staff at Hobbytown that the flight time/charge time was 3-4 minutes in the air, especially when flipping and to expect 60 minute+ charge times. They recommended the 1sq but I have read some posts which indicate that the flight/charge times were about equal, with the flight characteristics being better than the qx. The availability of light kits would be a plus as I find myself flying outside at night once the kids are asleep. I have found that the 1sq's kit will become available on or about 1/25/13 through HH with no such date yet for the qx. Thank you again.

First what HobbyTown was giving you the information about flight time and charge time? The flight time is much longer then the 3 to 4 minutes. The charge time is not quite a 60 minutes either. If you take in a count that you can charge 2 batteries at once think of it as a 30 minute charge

If HH stands for Horizon I really don't understand how you could be getting it from them as that would be like buying a brand new Chevy at a Ford dealership. In others words Helimax is a Tower product that is not sold at Horizon Hobby. Plus the Ethos are in stock at many HobbyTowns as well as fully stocked at the distribution center.
huskerfreak is online now Find More Posts by huskerfreak
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:27 AM
XFM
eXperimental Flying Machines
Joined Aug 2010
472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
First what HobbyTown was giving you the information about flight time and charge time? The flight time is much longer then the 3 to 4 minutes. The charge time is not quite a 60 minutes either. If you take in a count that you can charge 2 batteries at once think of it as a 30 minute charge
It could have been a bad battery or charger. Your products are not immune to quality defects.
XFM is offline Find More Posts by XFM
Old Jan 19, 2013, 01:42 PM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by huskerfreak View Post
In others words Helimax is a Tower product that is not sold at Horizon Hobby.
Slight correction: Heli-Max is a Hobbico brand. Tower Hobbies is merely a hobby shop that merged with Great Planes many years ago, to form Hobbico. Tower Hobbies is basically Hobbico's online store, but they are all Hobbico brands.

(I live in the same town as Hobbico/Tower and Horizon Hobby, so I'm kind of a stickler about the details...)
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Jan 19, 2013, 03:24 PM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
First - The Hobby Town that I went to is in Baltimore, MD. Great people there, very friendly and helpful. I have purchased most of my RC items from them.
Second - HH (yes, Horizon Hobby) has the item on their site - RAM191 which indicates out of stock with no date available. I called them and asked. A rep told me the approximate delivery date. I found the same item on a different site with a due date posted (1/25/13) which was identical to the date provided by the HH rep. I have attached the links. In all fairness, the product isnt from Helimax - its made by a company named RCM (Radio Controlled Models, Inc) My apologies for any confusion.

I sincerely appreciate the information and wasnt trying to start an confrontational exchange or debate. I was simply asking a question concerning owners and/or flyers of both products to obtain an informed opinion. It sounds like either way, I cant really go wrong. Looking forward to hearing from anyone else who wishes to provide information. I plan on purchasing one of these in the very near future..

http://www.advantagehobby.com/228668/RAM191/?pcat=89
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Last edited by gfl; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:18 PM
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theimacman View Post
Slight correction: Heli-Max is a Hobbico brand. Tower Hobbies is merely a hobby shop that merged with Great Planes many years ago, to form Hobbico. Tower Hobbies is basically Hobbico's online store, but they are all Hobbico brands.

(I live in the same town as Hobbico/Tower and Horizon Hobby, so I'm kind of a stickler about the details...)
I understand I work at HobbyTown's corp office so I know all about that I was putting it in a term others will understand
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:21 PM
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFM View Post
It could have been a bad battery or charger. Your products are not immune to quality defects.
No one said it was immune to defects. I actually just did a return to sale report 2 days ago so I know exactly what the defect rate is
Old Jan 19, 2013, 04:28 PM
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
First - The Hobby Town that I went to is in Baltimore, MD. Great people there, very friendly and helpful. I have purchased most of my RC items from them.
Second - HH (yes, Horizon Hobby) has the item on their site - RAM191 which indicates out of stock with no date available. I called them and asked. A rep told me the approximate delivery date. I found the same item on a different site with a due date posted (1/25/13) which was identical to the date provided by the HH rep. I have attached the links. In all fairness, the product isnt from Helimax - its made by a company named RCM (Radio Controlled Models, Inc) My apologies for any confusion.

I sincerely appreciate the information and wasnt trying to start an confrontational exchange or debate. I was simply asking a question concerning owners and/or flyers of both products to obtain an informed opinion. It sounds like either way, I cant really go wrong. Looking forward to hearing from anyone else who wishes to provide information. I plan on purchasing one of these in the very near future..

http://www.advantagehobby.com/228668/RAM191/?pcat=89
http://www.horizonhobby.com/webapp/w...pe=productgrid

I apologize I miss read your post. I thought you were talking about the heli not a light kit. It makes sence now. Not mad at all. I just wanted to know about which HobbyTown so I can call them with no reference to you of course. I appreciate the inquiry about the Ethos and giving it consideration.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 05:26 PM
gfl
Joined Apr 2005
99 Posts
Husker - any idea when the light kit which has been mentioned in this thread for the qx will become available?

On a more serious note, the employees at the Baltimore store seem to be extremely knowledgable and have been on point with any question I have asked in the past concerning various other products. Knowing that the qx is a Hobby Town product when I entered the store, I truly appreciated their candor when we discussed the two quads. Despite their comments, I am still considering the qx for purchase - heck, I might just buy both. Especially given these trying economic times, I wouldnt want any of their suggestions related to this matter to cause them undue jeopardy with their continued employment. Thus, I urge cautious restraint on your part - please.
gfl is offline Find More Posts by gfl
Last edited by gfl; Jan 19, 2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Sep 2008
167 Posts
Quote:
Husker - any idea when the light kit which has been mentioned in this thread for the qx will become available?

On a more serious note, the employees at the Baltimore store seem to be extremely knowledgable and have been on point with any question I have asked in the past concerning various other products. Knowing that the qx is a Hobby Town product when I entered the store, I truly appreciated their candor when we discussed the two quads. Despite their comments, I am still considering the qx for purchase - heck, I might just buy both. Especially given these trying economic times, I wouldnt want any of their suggestions related to this matter to cause them undue jeopardy with their continued employment. Thus, I urge cautious restraint on your part - please.
As far as the light kit goes I don't have a date. As far as calling it will never be mentioned about this. I just want call and educate them more about the Ares brand positive reinforcement so no worries. No one is in trouble as all stores are individually owned and have the right to sell what they like
Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Jan 2013
380 Posts
An usb charger for this size battery is not a good idea. I think usb ports are limited to 0.5 amp output MAX and this charger is limited to a charge rate of 400 ma. Assuming that's for EACH of the two ports, then some arithmetic gives us a charge time of around 72 minutes for both. and lots of usb ports will not do 0.5 amps......Be better to just include a 1A plug-in power supply to usb in the box. I've gone as long as 90 minutes while charging two batteries at the same time.....
speakertoanimals is online now Find More Posts by speakertoanimals
Old Jan 29, 2013, 07:56 PM
Joined Feb 2012
9 Posts
How much height does the Ethos need to complete a flip?
I just purchased one and I can't even flip it in my 8ft living room with a fully charged stock battery.
Also, is the charger that comes with it really loose in the battery connections?
Jagged1980 is offline Find More Posts by Jagged1980
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:03 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,402 Posts
id say maybe 10 to 15 feet
kelloggair is online now Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:27 PM
17 years on RCG!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 1996
3,120 Posts
Hello everyone,

With practice it's possible to flip the Ethos QX 75 indoors even if the ceilings are only 8 feet high. By adding power before starting the flip, maintaining it through and properly managing it after, it's even possible to flip without losing or gaining much if any altitude.

Also, although it's 'cheating' a bit and sometimes you'll still gain or lose a little bit of altitude, try this (outdoors first to get the 'feel' for it):
  • Enter a stable hover at approximately the altitude you hope to flip at (10-15 feet high at first is a safe bet, but later on you can definitely flip at lower altitudes)
  • Press the AUTO FLIP MODE button
  • Go to FULL throttle, and just as the EQX75 begins to climb/gain altitude move the right-hand stick in the direction you'd like to flip
  • MAINTAIN FULL throttle the entire time during the flip (Yes, FULL throttle during the entire duration of the flip!)
  • After flipping 360 degrees throttle back to maintain altitude

And again, with practice in varying the amount of power you add before, through and during the flip it is possible to flip without losing much or any altitude. In the meantime though, going to full throttle before and during the flip is a good way to minimize altitude loss and will help you get a feel for the timing.

Also, for those interested in the LED light set, development of the package (which is expected to include 5pcs of various color LEDs and new motor caps with 'landing gear/legs' to hold the LEDs) is almost complete, but with the upcoming Chinese New Year holiday/break (when most factories shut down for 2-4 weeks) they won't likely be in production until sometime in late February/early March. We'll be sure to get them produced, shipped and delivered as soon as possible though!
Jason M is offline Find More Posts by Jason M
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jason M; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:56 AM
Flyin' Ryan
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined May 2012
2,857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagged1980 View Post
Also, is the charger that comes with it really loose in the battery connections?
You have to give the battery plug a good shove, and it'll snap in. I thought the same thing at first too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
Also, for those interested in the LED light set, development of the package (which is expected to include 5pcs of various color LEDs and new motor caps with 'landing gear/legs' to hold the LEDs) is almost complete, but with the upcoming Chinese New Year holiday/break (when most factories shut down for 2-4 weeks) they won't likely be in production until sometime in late February/early March. We'll be sure to get them produced, shipped and delivered as soon as possible though!
Sounds awesome, can't wait!
theimacman is offline Find More Posts by theimacman
Old Feb 01, 2013, 06:57 PM
Joined Aug 2010
50 Posts
bluarcher is offline Find More Posts by bluarcher
Last edited by bluarcher; Feb 03, 2013 at 01:31 AM.