HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by mcashatt, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:00 PM
United States, AZ, Gilbert
Joined May 2012
706 Posts
Discussion
SkullCopter Labs

Hi folks,

As many of you know, I started SkullCopter.com back in August. Man it has been an experience.

I have now sold about $6,000 worth of stuff, mostly to folks here at RCG. If you can believe it, I still haven't made a penny--but don't feel bad for me!! I know that I will be able to earn money soon because I am coming closer and closer to paying off start-up costs like developing the website, extensive marketing, high shipping costs (because I didn't know what I was doing at first!), and so forth. I am also starting to get better wholesale deals from my suppliers because they know that I will give them repeat business and that means that, not only can I compete with other retailers, but I can also start making a little money.

Believe it or not however, making money wasn't what drove me to start SkullCopter.com (although it would be nice ). My main motivation is that I was disappointed in the lack of selection of multirotor products, particularly in the US. But there was another big motivator in my decision to start SkullCopter: I thought that there should be more business in the US and EU that are *creating* AND *manufacturing* (or having manufactured for them) new multirotor designs to advance the technology. Here are some good examples of North American businesses doing just that:

And, although they are not in North America, here are a couple of multi-rotor pioneers that deserve your recognition as well:

So, with all of this said, I am launching my winter project:

My goal is to cobble together a handful of prototypes that I can then turn into great designs that further enhances the selection of multirotor technology available to us.

I have started my first build log that will chronicle the protpotyping of the SkullCopter eYe, a robust Y6 FPV aircraft built for hobby and professional use.

I would sincerely appreciate your feedback--not only regarding the prototypes I build, but also on prototypes you would like to see, design improvement suggestions for frames, motors, ESCs, flight controllers, materials, transmitters, FPV equipment, camera equipment, gimbals, telemetry equipment, OSD, and so forth.

I am starting to speak with manufacturers now and the goal is to begin placing OEM orders for some of these designs by summer of 2013.

I look forward to your comments!

Happy flying!

Matt
mcashatt is offline Find More Posts by mcashatt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: SkullCopter Labs
to remove ads between posts