HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:37 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
Techject Robot Dragonfly!

http://igg.me/p/268456/x/1766947

This is an amazing new invention an rc 4 winged dragonfly that fits in the palm of your hand and has up to 20 sensors including gps and 2 HD cameras for recording and fpv!

There is an ongoing competition everytime you click or re share this link I have an extra chance to win one. and if you pledge in the campaign you will also have a chance to win one.
captainriggs is offline Find More Posts by captainriggs
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:18 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
super cool (with major reservation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainriggs View Post
http://igg.me/p/268456/x/1766947

This is an amazing new invention an rc 4 winged dragonfly that fits in the palm of your hand and has up to 20 sensors including gps and 2 HD cameras for recording and fpv!

There is an ongoing competition everytime you click or re share this link I have an extra chance to win one. and if you pledge in the campaign you will also have a chance to win one.
On the surface, esp. for gaming, ethical military use, home protection, etc., seems great.

However, besides the VERY important privacy* issues, incl. "Big Brother" and commercial use like "cookies" to track people's activities, bill collectors AND political "uses" .... this TYPE of device (there will obviously be many more such devices on the market) opens the door to government (incl. foreign govt.!!) and private killers & murderers, incl. "hire for kill", similar to and as in the robotic spiders in the film "Fahrenheit 451" which hunted down and used poison to kill "offenders".

But FAR more pernicious and DANGEROUS!

"You have been warned"

Lee

* Many countries have now severely restricted Google Map from showing people and cars, etc., to protect personal privacy ("Hey, dear, what was your car doing parked by her place?") > this is no different than the practice of darkened windows in some bars so that onlookers from outside cannot see who is in there.
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:37 AM
Zurich
Joined Apr 2006
3,535 Posts
also these little flying buggers >

from Frank Herbert's Dune series [Wikipedia]:

Hunter-seeker "Ravening sliver of suspensor-buoyed metal guided as a weapon by a nearby control console; common assassination device.". Floating in mid-air, it kills by entering the body and following nerve pathways to vital organs. A hunter-seeker is employed in Dune in an assassination attempt on Paul Atreides.

Nasty? Wicked? Gives new meaning to DRAGONfly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileragon_(PSF).png

And there is NO question that these type devices will soon be used as killers, in the same way as WWI bipes started as observation platforms and quickly became bomb and then machine-gun platforms.

Nice toys all ...

Lee
xlcrlee is offline Find More Posts by xlcrlee
Old Dec 19, 2012, 10:31 AM
Palo Alto, California, United States
Joined Jan 2003
1,034 Posts
I just watched their video and was impressed by the flight sequences. Does anyone have info on their control set-up? The flight scenes were fairly short, I hope I wasn't watching a "rigged" video!

Steve
mlbco is offline Find More Posts by mlbco
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Saw this, was going to cross-post it here I can't wait for my Delta unit!!!

Control is DSM2, and also WiFi.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:10 AM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,387 Posts
so pete if i pledge my 119 for the silent one am i going to get one when they come out? or will i still have to pay more the site is unclear
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Dec 26, 2012, 11:15 AM
Micro Flyer, Big Poster
Joined Feb 2005
1,390 Posts
Oh, yes. You are pre-purchasing. You WILL get the product you purchase, at a later date. There are guarentees for this from Indiegogo.

But also, I'd strongly recommend the Delta model - CVT means hovering! The Alpha models (although much cheaper) do not hover.
Pete P is offline Find More Posts by Pete P
Old Dec 26, 2012, 12:08 PM
centennial/aurora colorado
Joined Mar 2008
1,387 Posts
thanks for the info
kelloggair is offline Find More Posts by kelloggair
Old Jun 25, 2014, 12:35 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
198 Posts
Well it's been a year and a half now and still all we have is computer generated images and no sign of a product. They took over a million dollars, ten times their original fund goal. They made silly claims in their promo material and meaningless statements about efficiency. Did any of you actually buy the hyperbole and fund this? What's happening now?
skytek is online now Find More Posts by skytek
Old Jun 25, 2014, 01:05 PM
DFC~ We Do Flyin' Right
USA, GA, Atlanta
Joined Nov 2008
14,159 Posts
eek
bsbauman is online now Find More Posts by bsbauman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My New Workshop
Old Jun 25, 2014, 08:30 PM
Northwestern Illinois
Joined Jan 2003
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek View Post
Well it's been a year and a half now and still all we have is computer generated images and no sign of a product. They took over a million dollars, ten times their original fund goal. They made silly claims in their promo material and meaningless statements about efficiency. Did any of you actually buy the hyperbole and fund this? What's happening now?
The indiegogo web site has been posting updates on the project.
n553302 is online now Find More Posts by n553302
Old Jun 25, 2014, 09:25 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Aug 2013
198 Posts
They don't even seem to have a flying prototype yet. If they did the videos would be heavily promoted. They've made massive claims and taken over a million dollars for something that hasn't even been shown to work. If it ever does actually make it to production, you're going to get a very fragile toy that may only last a few flights and meets almost none of the claims and promises the makers made. I mean, they said it's going to be a fantastic FPV platform for amazing aerial footage. They said it's going to fly around our homes monitoring for intruders. It's madness.
skytek is online now Find More Posts by skytek
Old Jun 30, 2014, 01:27 PM
United States, TX, Sugar Land
Joined May 2014
78 Posts
Well, at least they are trying

Crash and Impact Testing (1 min 12 sec)

Quote:
Originally Posted by skytek View Post
They don't even seem to have a flying prototype yet. If they did the videos would be heavily promoted. They've made massive claims and taken over a million dollars for something that hasn't even been shown to work. If it ever does actually make it to production, you're going to get a very fragile toy that may only last a few flights and meets almost none of the claims and promises the makers made. I mean, they said it's going to be a fantastic FPV platform for amazing aerial footage. They said it's going to fly around our homes monitoring for intruders. It's madness.
SystemsGuy is online now Find More Posts by SystemsGuy
Old Jul 04, 2014, 11:13 AM
Gravity hates me.
Joined Aug 2011
182 Posts
Where the heck is it
3dRCrazy is offline Find More Posts by 3dRCrazy