HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim Varley, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 07:53 AM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,119 Posts
Dude, why do you even bother to post?

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 21, 2012, 10:57 AM
Joined May 2011
240 Posts
Aef

Exactly! Thank you Pat for that response. So un-productive, some comments. I, for one, am looking forward to this year's event, in light of last years disaster (wind storm), it will be a welcomed event. So many people lost out on Sat last year. Vendors, pilots, spectators all had an event cut short. Pray for fantastic weather and keep the thoughts positive.
vr360 is offline Find More Posts by vr360
Old Dec 22, 2012, 09:08 PM
Joined Jun 2012
29 Posts
Even though the weather was not cooperating on Saturday, we had a great time last year. Jim bought a new plane while we were cleaning up. Many of the vendors and pilots made the most of it and did what they do best...talk and it didn't hurt that we won a tv last year. Outdoor events are have to deal with unpredicable weather problems. Most years are great, but you have to expect it might get windy, rain or even snow.
shutterbug772 is offline Find More Posts by shutterbug772
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
United States, AZ, Carefree
Joined Jul 2009
36 Posts
Anyone know if there will be a clasified thread for this years event? Lots of big airplanes me and my brother are looking to bring out to sell,its time to thin the hanger!
jmcmike is online now Find More Posts by jmcmike
Old Dec 22, 2012, 10:54 PM
wannabe Jet guy
Green Valley, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
1,965 Posts
Start one.

Well, it's easy to start one, I will make one for you.

Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcmike View Post
Anyone know if there will be a clasified thread for this years event? Lots of big airplanes me and my brother are looking to bring out to sell,its time to thin the hanger!
CRCJA is offline Find More Posts by CRCJA
Old Dec 26, 2012, 04:37 PM
Fountain Hills Arizona
Joined Feb 2002
45 Posts
AEF food vendor menu

The food vendor's menu is posted on the AEF website, www.azelectricfestival.com. Great food,tasty, and ample portions. Aaron.
AZercflyer is online now Find More Posts by AZercflyer
Old Dec 27, 2012, 05:45 AM
Miami
Joined Apr 2005
10,129 Posts
I really hope you guys are smart enough to let FPV demonstrations at your event. FPV flyers are more technical, and as a group safer and have better equipment than most flyers. As typicalaimster says, NO FPV user is going to bring 2.4 GHZ video gear to an event, it would be unworkable. THe 900 MHZ and video systems operating on other bands will have no impact on other flyers.

FPV is the future, if you want to see this hobby grow and survive in future and continue to grow, embrace it. Almost every RC flyer that see's FPV wants to do it. My FPV setup always gets more attention than any of the other planes at clubs. Seven years ago, the FPV forum was just started here on RC groups, now the FPV forum is now one of the busiest forums here. It takes a lot more than just seeing a few neat plane fly to compete for the younger generations attention, computer games, XBox, and a million other things get kids interest now days. Looking at a plane from the ground and flying it does not have the appeal to the kids that is used to. So I repeat, FPV is the future of RC !!!

Not allowing FPV would be like people back in the 1960's not allowing RC control, and limiting events to control line flying only based on " Safety Concerns ". Fortunately back in those days people embraced RC, and the hobby flurished. The problem these days is that people are fearful of anything new This is not an issue of safety, its an issue of peoples attitudes that have hurt this country so much. Had RC been invented today, everyone would fear it, with all the same " Safety Concerns ". The AMA made the mistake of trying to ban FPV for the first few years, and then it grew so much, they realized their mistake and are now embracing it. It took reality to hit them in the face, but given the numbers and growth of FPV, they had a complete change of policy on this issue, even the AMA realized where the future is, and embraced FPV.

Mike
JettPilot is offline Find More Posts by JettPilot
Site Sponsor
Last edited by JettPilot; Dec 27, 2012 at 05:55 AM.
Old Dec 27, 2012, 07:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
Albuquerque, NM USA
Joined Sep 2003
15,551 Posts
I would like to see FPV, if the city will allow it. I understand they would use the pattern and fly aerobatics where everyone else does so it should not interrupt the regular flying.

If they are going to fly outside the regular flying area then maybe add a special flight station like is done for the side 3D areas.
portablevcb is offline Find More Posts by portablevcb
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:29 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,696 Posts
JettPilot is spot on.

From the time I began RC in the 60s my intent was to replicate the real flying experience. At the time I couldn't believe you could actually fly a model airplane remotely; it was magic. It fostered a long aviation career that has circled back to RC. I was out of the hobby for 20 years and unaware that AMA stood opposed to FPV, since almost every RCer's dream has been to step inside his model and fly. The dream has arrived and is as magical as the proportional control system was in the 60s. This is the year that will begin the transition from early adopters to widespread use. Cost of reliable, complete systems are under $500. For me it is the 60s all over again.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 27, 2012, 09:56 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,696 Posts
While we're taking safety....

You can't fool Newton and damage/injury is always proportional to kenetic energy, 1/2mv(squared). As I said, I was away for 20 years but electronics still fail, although less frequently. The proximity that heavy and fast aircraft are allowed to fly to the flight lines concerns me. My pattern/FPV aircraft at 60 mph and 5 pounds are one thing but 15 to 30 pound aircraft or 120mph plus aircraft create a whole new issue. CDs and the AMA really need to look at this. I have seen AMA sanctioned events where 4 pound EDFs were allowed to fly runway centerline close to 200mph 50 ft from the crowd, well within a loss of control footprint. The issue should be energy and proximity, not FPV. The loss of control footprint expands directly with kenetic energy.
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Helis only get an hour a day? No thanks.
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:12 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,925 Posts
But in that hour no airplanes in the sky. It is yours to do what you want. Except inverted below knees.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Dec 29, 2012, 06:02 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
But in that hour no airplanes in the sky. It is yours to do what you want. Except inverted below knees.
Bob
Oh, maybe I misunderstood. I took it as those two half hour periods being the only times per day helis could be flown. Or, can they be flown all day and those are just the "heli flying only" times?

Why no hovering below knee height down on the deck?
harryhenderson - crvnation is offline Find More Posts by harryhenderson - crvnation
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:08 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
7,925 Posts
No heli flying with planes. Makes for interesting race track pattern. No inverted due a number years back a guy was going inverted flying and threw a couple of rocks into the crowd. A little girl was cut by the rock.
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:31 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Dec 2012
331 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff View Post
No heli flying with planes. Makes for interesting race track pattern.
Okay, so an E-fest with helis being a major part of the electric hobby with a huge draw for both pilots and spectators...and they get a measly hour of flying per day. And, not even a solid hour. Got it. Yeah, that makes sense.

Quote:
No inverted due a number years back a guy was going inverted flying and threw a couple of rocks into the crowd. A little girl was cut by the rock.
Bob
And? So, a plank goes out of control and hits a little girl...then no more planks, too?