HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Jim Varley, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:15 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,818 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN View Post
Otto:

From past experience, Friday is the best day to fly. Saturday is a zoo, lots of apectators (snowbirds), long lines to fly, boring and extra long "so called" noon time demos from sponsors, raffle in the afternoon. Generally lots of people in the pitts, airplanes everywhere, everyone trying not to trip over themselvs or damage airplanes.

Having said all that I have a particular interest in FPV but from a spectator standpoint I can't see how you could do it at the AEF. I would not count on them approving it, the AEF is on government property with lots of restrictions.

Off topic:

I would love to see you do this FPV in person, do you have any events at your home field?

Al Gutkin
Thanx for the insight. We have a thread that all the San Diego FPVers let each other know who's flying and answer questions. I go out about twice a week and usually 3 or more of us get together on a Sat or Sun. Here's the thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post23482855
Otto Dieffenbach is online now Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:15 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Quote:
I can't see how you could do it at the AEF. I would not count on them approving it, the AEF is on government property with lots of restrictions.

I would love to see you do this FPV in person, do you have any events at your home field?
At SEFSD we fly off county land and follow the AMA FPV guidelines of 550 and 560 for more fly by wire craft. We have a flight boundary established by both the club and the county. This includes a flight ceiling since we're within very busy Bravo airspace. I've flown FPV in the Washington DC / Northern VA / Maryland area a few miles off the ADIZ and didn't get any problems from any regulatory bodies.

On your side note the gang in San Diego both North and South county meet up almost weekly to fly FPV. I'm already in talks with two key folks at SEFSD to possibly host two unofficial FPV events at the field this next season. We'll see how that goes. The FPV community in San Diego is still like gypsies moving around. I think only a few of us fly at an established AMA field regularly.
typicalaimster is offline Find More Posts by typicalaimster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I was bored
Old Dec 09, 2012, 04:27 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Thanks for the insight. I'm sure that we will meet up in San Diego.

Al
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:13 PM
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined May 2004
5,192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Dieffenbach View Post
Trying to figure out what AEF is all about. Never been and can go many different ways with planes. I'm a little disappointed there isn't a one day entry and am also trying to pick up a boat in Tucson. Also need a decission on FPV. Lots of balls in the air at the moment. What planes do you want me to bring, if I attend?
would really like to see your super heros
TBolt is online now Find More Posts by TBolt
Old Dec 10, 2012, 02:57 AM
China, Guangxi, Guilin
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
just waiting for sharing more pictures and videos
AllyGuomeng224 is offline Find More Posts by AllyGuomeng224
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:02 AM
China, Guangxi, Guilin
Joined Aug 2012
9 Posts
waiting for share pictures and videos
AllyGuomeng224 is offline Find More Posts by AllyGuomeng224
Old Dec 10, 2012, 12:00 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllyGuomeng224 View Post
just waiting for sharing more pictures and videos
Here's a dusk flight at SEFSD. I even set up a light at the end of the runway to help guide me in. Love to do something similar at AEF...

SEFSD Dusk Landing (1 min 54 sec)

Lately I've been trying formation flying with a couple of the guys out at the field. I know the scale guys love me flying and capturing video for them.

Formation Flying with Jim's Twinstar (0 min 39 sec)

I'll be bringing my FPV rig to AEF even though I may fly it 3rd person the whole time I'm there. Would be happy to talk shop with anyone there that's interested.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:23 PM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
OFF TOPIC:

I give up, what does SEFSD stand for?

Also, it looks like you are flying from a field that borders the #5 freeway near Mission Bay, am I right?
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Dec 10, 2012, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2005
5,369 Posts
Quote:
OFF TOPIC:

I give up, what does SEFSD stand for?

Also, it looks like you are flying from a field that borders the #5 freeway near Mission Bay, am I right?
Silent Electric Fliers San Diego. Our field is right next to Seaworld. You'd have to cross the San Diego river to get to I-5. The River and Freeway is out of bounds and behind the flight line. Any pilots caught over flying the road are dealt with swiftly.. The road you see behind our flight line is Sea World Drive. You can probably see the intersection of Frias Rd and Sea World Drive in a few of my landings. We maintain a 150' boundary from Sea World Drive.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:23 PM View Post
davidthomas1803
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Excessive Advertising (Spam). Show it to me anyway.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:11 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,679 Posts
Can't wait. This will be my 8th time attending, 7th as a pilot, 3rd as a vendor.

Otto, I saw your stuff at Big Jolt, it would definitely be a hit at AEF. I'm also trying to get some of the Chino guys to come over for the weekend. AEF is the biggest electric-only event in the southwest, and it is a must attend. Hope to see you here!

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 15, 2012, 09:06 AM
Aerial DP
United States, CA, Lakeside
Joined Apr 2010
912 Posts
ottos super people & a witch (3 min 51 sec)
Kloner is online now Find More Posts by Kloner
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:14 AM
United States, CA, Ontario
Joined Mar 2002
7,788 Posts
Is the camping area paved or dirt ? , if anyone knows ....
Dennis Everett is online now Find More Posts by Dennis Everett
Old Dec 21, 2012, 02:12 AM
Glitch Master
USA, AZ, Mesa
Joined Apr 2007
2,026 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Everett View Post
Is the camping area paved or dirt ? , if anyone knows ....
Dennis, it is mostly gravel, some dirt, not paved.
Jim Varley is offline Find More Posts by Jim Varley
Old Dec 21, 2012, 06:29 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Too many rules and costs for my likeing I think I will pass on this estemed event my lawn needs cutting anyway!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)