HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:53 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
depends on your output, the DX8 in US mode puts out 100mW and the booster input stated that you shouldn't input more than 40mW so i popped a 6dB attenuator on there, been working great for 18 months now.

This is the general model of attenuator (mine is the 6dB version)

http://www.e-meca.com/rf-attenuator/...D=16&SpecsID=1

This is the exact one i got (though not necessarily where it came from)

6dB -> http://www.talleycom.com/store/product/MCA662-06-1.html

if you look below under 'similar products' you'll find a 3db version as well
thanks

Hobbyking says my module outputs 60mW, so that runs a bit over the spec limit. However I see folks run their Frsky right into the Argtek without issues:
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=245

edit

after reading this thread, I think I will just use it for my home Wifi instead. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1407756&page=4
hopefully the patch antenna alone will be good for a few km. But will be doing any long range with UHF. Kinda sucks because I was considering doing an 'expendable FPV plane' to do a kamikaze long range over ocean attempt and not worry about losing the plane - $20 receiver easier to lose than $100.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 16, 2013 at 06:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:27 PM
Joined Jan 2013
38 Posts
allright which one of you kelowna boys was playing last night..... i know it wasnt me
Polix. were you out here?

http://www.castanet.net/edition/news...9-1-.htm#87489
CloudSnipe is offline Find More Posts by CloudSnipe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:42 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
thanks

Hobbyking says my module outputs 60mW, so that runs a bit over the spec limit. However I see folks run their Frsky right into the Argtek without issues:
http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=245

edit

after reading this thread, I think I will just use it for my home Wifi instead. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1407756&page=4
hopefully the patch antenna alone will be good for a few km. But will be doing any long range with UHF. Kinda sucks because I was considering doing an 'expendable FPV plane' to do a kamikaze long range over ocean attempt and not worry about losing the plane - $20 receiver easier to lose than $100.
i believe the failures coincide with bad attenuation actually, i've had this thing boosted for 18 months now and not a single brownout or dropout since i've done it (not that brownouts have anything to do with it).

If you check the input specs on those boosters, even though you may have a max input of say 20dB (100mW), it states that the maximum ideal is 13db (20mW).

Mine is attenuated from 20dB to 14dB, so i'm a touch over the ideal max, but no issues.

I would still highly recommend it if you want to go the cheap throwaway route, and the patch would likely give you over 10km range if you combined the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloudSnipe View Post
allright which one of you kelowna boys was playing last night..... i know it wasnt me

ha nice, obviously someone having fun with their quad
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:44 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,955 Posts
oh, forgot to mention, went out today to test the 900mhz video with CP antennas on my hex today, and ran into one of the local high school teachers, i just got invited to help the robotics class with their high altitude balloon project, and they want me to demo my hex + fpv to them. Apparently the principal is also into quads and this teacher wants me to give him some tips. I'm supposed to be getting a call next week to schedule a time
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 07:52 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,522 Posts
Quote:

good thing the usual BC tinfoil hat anti flouride crowd are too busy raising heIl about smart hydro meters to start after us eeeevilll dronesmen!
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
38 Posts
Quote:
good thing the usual BC tinfoil hat anti flouride crowd are too busy raising heIl about smart hydro meters to start after us eeeevilll dronesmen!
I know... Just remember not to call them DRONES!!!!! thats whats causing all the trouble south of the border.
They are not a drones. they are toys... just really expensive ones, that you can fly from a chair, via a camera... and make them fly on their own... er.. uhm.... with little human input....
k, well some one might label them a drone. but I never will, else the tinheads will come down, with a mighty foil hat to cover the whole Okanagan!!! lol
CloudSnipe is offline Find More Posts by CloudSnipe
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:31 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
allright which one of you kelowna boys was playing last night..... i know it wasnt me Polix. were you out here?
LOL

Quote:
I know... Just remember not to call them DRONES!!!!! thats whats causing all the trouble south of the border.
They are not a drones. they are toys... just really expensive ones,lol
agree ! just toys... maybe Canadian Authorities are more realistic about what we
do and that's why Zoltan & MAAC made the best FPV guide lines in the WORLD ! we just have fun...

Halo (1 min 44 sec)

2012 halloween night ... i'v put lots of smile with our 7- Neighbors ... sorry for the low light video
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:34 PM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyM View Post
I'm a believer of sharing the bad with the good......so here's my first video post to RCgroups showing yesterdays flight and landing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9v4XvyIqg4

The plane in this video started out as a EPP/FPV from HK. To get it to fly as a plane should, I did a ton of modifications. At some point I should have burnt it but it became one of those projects that wasn't going to beat me... I ended up with a really nice flying airplane. I used it a lot this summer for doing arial video...not FPV....and it performed great.

As for this crash, I'm not sure what happened.... The plane hadn't been flown in cold air so maybe that contributed to the failure that caused the tail to twist and according to Brent "flop around". The transmitter and receiver I was using are proven performers. Both are Xtreme link 2.4.

Anyway....none of my gear on or in the plane were damaged. I could have repaired the plane but I had great fun stripping the gear and watching it burn in my fire place.....

Now....what airplane to order? I'm thinking Zebro....

Bill
to bad about your mishap, but its a part of it sometimes.
As nice as the Zebro wings are, i would start with something like the bixler. Get the 1.1 version. I have the TBRC wing, but decided to put everything in a bixler 1.1 for some fun. Wings have a learning curve and not recommended for the "first" FPV plane. You have lots of fun with it, and for the price, gezz get 2 haha

The Z wings well be around later.
Eastcoast78 is online now Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:35 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,955 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
LOL

agree ! just toys... maybe Canadian Authorities are more realistic about what we
do and that's why Zoltan & MAAC made the best FPV guide lines in the WORLD ! we just have fun...
hey that's pretty cool! you could bump into people for fun with that! as long as they keep their fingers out of the holes
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:44 PM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
hey that's pretty cool! you could bump into people for fun with that! as long as they keep their fingers out of the holes
agree

thanks

its indoor season here in Cold Quebec... bumping is fun with this UFO !

Soucoupe volante = Saucer (1 min 44 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Last edited by ggtronic; Feb 16, 2013 at 08:57 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:50 PM
Canada, MB, Brandon
Joined Jan 2003
529 Posts
Quote:
It does have a nice big wing for hauling loads, but is draggy and probably inferior in all respects to a 1680 or 1900 Skywalker.
Inferior it is.... Before I warmed my feet with the carcass of the EPP/FPV, I cut a cross section of the airfoil. I don't recognize the airfoil and it in no way resembles anything like a Clark Y. There are way to many great aircraft with great airfoils out there to waste time/money on the EPP/FPV. Tell your friend to burn it.....

Today we had two successful FPV flights with Brent's Radian......
BillyM is offline Find More Posts by BillyM
Old Feb 16, 2013, 09:58 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,955 Posts
the radian is still one of my favourite planes, i have to get mine setup for FPV to do some fun soaring this spring
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2013, 10:15 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
553 Posts
Quote:
depends on your output, the DX8 in US mode puts out 100mW and the booster input stated that you shouldn't input more than 40mW so i popped a 6dB attenuator on there, been working great for 18 months now.

This is the general model of attenuator (mine is the 6dB version)

http://www.e-meca.com/rf-attenuator/...D=16&SpecsID=1

This is the exact one i got (though not necessarily where it came from)

6dB -> http://www.talleycom.com/store/product/MCA662-06-1.html

if you look below under 'similar products' you'll find a 3db version as well
Thanks polix, I'm going to look into this some more.
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Old Feb 17, 2013, 12:23 AM
lost in the addiction of flyin
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Dec 2009
776 Posts
interesting read gonna have to sub this one
furballll is online now Find More Posts by furballll
Old Feb 17, 2013, 06:38 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,166 Posts
Me and my brother with our Zebro's 52 buzzing the church in Oka, the place we grew up.

It was a superb day, little windy and cold, but so nice to fly over the frozen lake.

Enjoy !

Zebro 52 chase at Oka (9 min 16 sec)
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos