It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
oh, actually a bit less than I spend on RC in the last 14 months

about 10-12k
Hehe....hate to rub it in but, mine cost me $1700 total....and I got to claim it on Income Tax...!! There were some extras afterwards like Mountain Endorsement and Floats. 'Course, that was in 1977......

Dang, BC....I got an almost new (1978) set of David Clark's somewhere in lost boxes of my past moves.... I do mean to get that box as it has my manuals and flight log.

...and I quit flying when rent for a Cherokee PA28-160 went up to $37 per hour wet.....!!

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:29 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Well I did do a 40km out and back today, through valleys, over ocean and mountains at mostly 2500ft. But no telemetry, only steam gauges

key is to fly where airplanes do not fly. Generally speaking, that means no long range can be done around here within a radius of 30-40km. Places like deep tight uninhabited valleys and night time close to mountains are strictly avoided by airplanes and can be OK for fpv.

I have FPV systems to reliably transmit and have RC control to 20km (on paper it should be good to 30km RC control, 40km video). This kind of equipment is common in FPV, if you research it enough. But if you look at the 'leaderboard' on FPVLAB, among the few hundred folks on this planet doing FPV, those are the few dozen veterans, and fully half have not gone over 5km. I have only done 3km, and not in a rush to push it, ever.
I just checked out the Leaderboard on FPVLAB. I checked out the videos of the few who had flown more than 20 miles out to find out how they get the long range.
I noticed that they were flying their FPVs at an altitude of 6000 ft or more AGL. The best range on the Leaderboard is 68 miles , flying at an altitude of plus 7000 ft. At that altitude , RF telemetry is not what's limiting your range.
I don't know what's to be gained by flying an FPV at that altitude except the bragging rights of having a long range flight.
I fly FPV at altitudes of no greater than 400 ft above the ground.
Maybe FPVLAB Leaderboard should have have a category on "Best Range at Flying Below 400 ft AGL".
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:25 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
possibly, but to be honest i'd be quite bored if i limited myself to 400', when i hit about 2500 feet i get a beautiful shot of the mountain peaks all around me, it's quite beautiful. I hit a bit over that last weekend and reviewed the video, it was awesome.

One of the things that i want to accomplish personally is to fly high enough (have to find a decent location first) that i can skim along the tops of the clouds, that's a bit of a personal wish list item though.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:28 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
oh i went to the penticton search and rescue this eve for the amateur radio license monthly meet to get my test setup for my first level HAM, met the search manager for the S&R, they've never even heard of using multi rotors and planes for S&R and want to learn more, sounds like i'm doing a demo in a month
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:11 AM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
A recent topic has been about finding areas over which to fly relatively unhindered. We, in the NorthWest, have vast areas to fly although, they be densely packed temperate rainforests, a huge river and the Pacific Ocean! Our problem is to find areas from which to fly...!

So, in the spirit of our Northern neighbours, the intrepid Alaskan Supercub pilots, I put together a video of a few of the locations my buddy OTP and I have flown from in the last couple years. Resolution is next to crappy but, with only low resolution cams to work with in the first years, this should give an indication of how we learned about FPV flying....

Our FPV Off-Airport Adventures (6 min 46 sec)

I hope to get some more up in the next little while....it's good practice with my Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD.

Cuzn
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:43 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
possibly, but to be honest i'd be quite bored if i limited myself to 400', when i hit about 2500 feet i get a beautiful shot of the mountain peaks all around me, it's quite beautiful. I hit a bit over that last weekend and reviewed the video, it was awesome.

One of the things that i want to accomplish personally is to fly high enough (have to find a decent location first) that i can skim along the tops of the clouds, that's a bit of a personal wish list item though.
Cloud surfing is always one of the FPV'er's dream. I did it a few times, but without GPS one must be carefull not to lose his marks because you have to go high. This can also mean flying over your antenna nul zone if you're not far enough from your GS.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 Carguy FPV year
Old Feb 14, 2013, 11:17 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
559 Posts
Too bad you guys weren't here last week. My place was well above the cloud cover in the valley so you could have actually flown down to the top of the clouds!
Kim
My front yard:
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:07 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,374 Posts
Wow ! Nice place
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:30 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I just checked out the Leaderboard on FPVLAB. I checked out the videos of the few who had flown more than 20 miles out to find out how they get the long range.
I noticed that they were flying their FPVs at an altitude of 6000 ft or more AGL. The best range on the Leaderboard is 68 miles , flying at an altitude of plus 7000 ft. At that altitude , RF telemetry is not what's limiting your range.
I don't know what's to be gained by flying an FPV at that altitude except the bragging rights of having a long range flight.
I fly FPV at altitudes of no greater than 400 ft above the ground.
Maybe FPVLAB Leaderboard should have have a category on "Best Range at Flying Below 400 ft AGL".
Fresnel zone issue. The RF we use is not a straight line, in line of sight. It is a big ellipse-like shape. The curved lines border the Fresnel zones our of signal, which also need to reach our GS antenna. So if you fly too low, the fresnel zones may become blocked by objects (there are several fresnel zones), or even just by the ground. When you go far, you may need more than 400ft AGL to keep the Fresnel Zone clear of obstacles, or risk deterioration/loss of your video signal.

Where I fly, to go due East from the field then out over the water I pass over a dense forest. The trees force me to fly at 800ft to reach 3km distance. Well that isn't the right thing to do in that airspace, so I only did that once. If I launch from a beach that would limit the Fresnel zone issue a lot though. The ideal location is a clear hilltop overlook for setting up a GS, which we just don't have here in the rainforest.

IIRC, the windmill-like CP antennas made by Hugo at TrueRC are better designed for flying low. He has made some impressive videos flying at treetop level, even at night (with super bright headlights), and many km out over the forests even with 5.8. But not tens of kms.

this image shows the 1st fresnel zone only...
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 14, 2013 at 12:40 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:38 PM
Rick
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Joined Apr 2007
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
Too bad you guys weren't here last week. My place was well above the cloud cover in the valley so you could have actually flown down to the top of the clouds!
Kim
My front yard:
Have you ever seen deer during an FPV flight? All I ever see on the baled prairie is cows and chickens.

Oh ya I do see some Canada geese in the spring and fall. Last spring my spotter told me I had 4 geese flying in formation off my left wing. Unfortunately they never got into the camera frame. I have to get a 180* servo for panning.
hammer833 is offline Find More Posts by hammer833
Old Feb 14, 2013, 12:56 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by elimsprint View Post
Kim
My front yard:
Hmm... i need to scout some higher locations to take off from
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:19 PM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Fresnel zone issue. The RF we use is not a straight line, in line of sight. It is a big ellipse-like shape.
hmmm, interesting, so flying from a small field surrounded by tall trees is a poor place for FPV
smason is offline Find More Posts by smason
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:38 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammer833 View Post
Have you ever seen deer during an FPV flight?
I'm just getting into FPV so no I haven't seen any, yet. I don't really have to go far to see deer as you could see in my last pic or this one.
Kim
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:44 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,374 Posts
I found that when flying with a patch on 900 mhz, an elevated area like in elimsprint picture is bad. I get very bad range as my patch doen't have its ground plane when the field in front of it slopes down. Since I fly with diversity and I have an omni as a second antenna, I still can fly but have very poor range.

I've tried similar location with a CP antenna on 1.3 and then its no problem as these antenna don't need a ground plane. At my club field, the field in front of the patch slightly goes up in the distance so I have a very good range with clear signal.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2013, 01:45 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
559 Posts
I knew I had taken a pic, this happens quite often in the winter months.
Kim