HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:54 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
What makes you think that you are going to be away from any traffic .
To do any long range flights away from line of sight would involve a " Sense And Avoid System".
At present , I haven't heard of anyone using something like that.
A 20 km outward flight in FPV mode would involve quite a hefty RF telemetry system.
Of course , you would have the advantage of better propagation flying along the coast but that still
is really quite a task.
Although flying it in UAV mode , it would be no problem.
Thought I'd add this attachment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=iz19DQ6-eGE#!
Well I did do a 40km out and back today, through valleys, over ocean and mountains at mostly 2500ft. But no telemetry, only steam gauges

key is to fly where airplanes do not fly. Generally speaking, that means no long range can be done around here within a radius of 30-40km. Places like deep tight uninhabited valleys and night time close to mountains are strictly avoided by airplanes and can be OK for fpv.

I have FPV systems to reliably transmit and have RC control to 20km (on paper it should be good to 30km RC control, 40km video). This kind of equipment is common in FPV, if you research it enough. But if you look at the 'leaderboard' on FPVLAB, among the few hundred folks on this planet doing FPV, those are the few dozen veterans, and fully half have not gone over 5km. I have only done 3km, and not in a rush to push it, ever.

Bruce is the man. Can't say I disagree with a thing he says and does. His sense and avoid system will be a while in the making yet. Maybe he will revolutionize general aviation too.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 13, 2013 at 02:16 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:58 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
woah... 40km today, wow you did some flying, nice you've only pushed it to 3km so far? that's pretty much my limit for now, or at least my guts
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:01 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,650 Posts
I took a look at the av charts for Summerland area and drool with envy
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:05 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I took a look at the av charts for Summerland area and drool with envy
yeah i've done quite a bit of research on google maps, i've easily got 7-8km LOS flights in valleys

this weekend i hit 3.1km on my boosted DX8, would have gone a touch further but i was getting a fair bit of static, with crosshair on goggles, going to have the tracker re-tuned for this weekend and going to give it another shot with my 10 turn helical, might be able to get as far as 4km, but we'll see.

Then i guess i'll have to just hunker down and install that dragon link finally....

the only other thing i'm itching to try is the 900mhz CP antennas on my hex, should give me some serious tree busting power.

You know how it is... too little time and too much to fly.

I've got a couple weeks off in july as i do every year, definitely heading down to vancouver island again, except this time with flying rigs, i'm tired of recording nothing but snow on this gopro
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:40 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
guys who was it that posted a vid awhile ago of there DOSD saving there plane from far out. My FPV buddy is wanted to get it. But for the life of me i cant find it. I think it was vimeo and private.

;0)
2 pages ago, post 915. Good eyes, but the memory....

Quote:
oh figures...
??? It's not like I posted that much crash/lost videos
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:44 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
BC, you mean you did 20 km out and back in one trip ? Maaann ! What video system again ? And what plane ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 08:01 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
[QUOTE=polix;24120250]i made a comment on MAAC's promo video part 2 from 5 years ago.... can you tell which commenter i am? they apparently delete all comments

QUOTE]

Here is my take at promoting the hobby. Made for an activity at an entrepreneurship school, article in May 2012 MAAC magazine. Maybe you'll like the music on this one better Polix ?

EEB - L'aéromodélisme (3 min 3 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:08 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
BC, you mean you did 20 km out and back in one trip ? Maaann ! What video system again ? And what plane ?
no, I have only done 3km.

I flew a fullsize plane 40km yesterday. If I can't beat em, I guess I will join em.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:28 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
Lol !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:26 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
??? It's not like I posted that much crash/lost videos
haha, just giving you the berries...

[QUOTE=carguy1994ca;24121797]
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i made a comment on MAAC's promo video part 2 from 5 years ago.... can you tell which commenter i am? they apparently delete all comments

QUOTE]

Here is my take at promoting the hobby. Made for an activity at an entrepreneurship school, article in May 2012 MAAC magazine. Maybe you'll like the music on this one better Polix ?
Much much better, doesn't look like one of those 'who's who in winterland' old videos, what is that a remix of some daft punk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
no, I have only done 3km.

I flew a fullsize plane 40km yesterday. If I can't beat em, I guess I will join em.
wow, keep forgetting we have quite a diverse group here, you gonna mount some eagletree on that plane and record the feed?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:28 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
I tought it was some Glitchmob but not sure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 12:37 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,604 Posts
No long range for me, just too boring IMO. Long range flights have been done so no need to match someone else's record. You can have a lot of fun inside a 1KM radius. I'm no pilot but I do have a bit of stick time on a DC-3 and C-46. I used to go with the crews on long hauls or 2-3 day aways from base. BTW, that video has been removed from YouTube. Even Mike. at Drangon Link's, thought it was a bad move. It was arranged ahead of time with the pilot but the real pilot should of said no.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Feb 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,604 Posts
This past Sunday, I hooked up with my contact guy and a local TV producer. He's putting a pilot together of a car review show, that he will sell to sponsers. Saturday was the better weather day but I wasn't able to go. It was a bit windy but I was able to a flight to show what can be done and captured. Mostly hovering and following the Dodge Dart as it drove over a bridge and past my multi. I did a few shots of the Dart going right uder the MK, all with permission of course. I did have my TV setup but I was able to do the flight LOS, not much flying for the shots required. Later we went back and viewed the footage. The producer liked what he saw and thought a couple of shots could be used. No compensation was received but if he uses any footage, I'd like credit for the aerial footage. It's just fun to be a part of a production, good experience. We'll probably hook up when things get greener. I have some ideas for some shots.
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:18 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,958 Posts
very nice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:20 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,843 Posts
Nice pics. Didn't even know what was a C46 before seeing it on Ice Pilots. Love the shots in the cockpit
RCG Plus Member