HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 11:23 PM
Never left one up there yet...
Canada, BC, Campbell River
Joined Jun 2009
98 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
Industry Canada requires that you have a HAM radio license ( basic level ) to use telemetry at radiated power levels greater than 0.75 milliwatts .
Just so long as you have somebody with a HAM radio certificate present during the
operation of a UAV or even an FPV then it's OK. So you can have one member of
your UAV team who has an SFOC and the other member with a HAM call sign.
A person having possession of both certifications is best and maybe it might have a positive affect on your insurance rate.
I am just in the middle of a course for acquiring my Canadian HAM license. Please be aware that this is an amateur broadcast operating certificate only. This will NOT allow you to conduct operations in a commercial application. It is the equivilent of a Private Pilot License. Recreational use only but you may operate and broadcast continually in an emergency situation.

As far as I can interpret the requirements for a Canadian SFOC, it is a direct visual contact LOS operation only. This does not include BLOS or LOS with the pilot flying FPV (goggles or laptop) as far as I can tell. The spotter is required to advise of other conflicts with air traffic and any other safety of flight issues. If you need to operate a camera with remote equipment then another dedicated operator is required (ie, operating with FPV goggles). As far as I can tell the broadcast equipment then requires testing from Industry Canada to meet their commercial requirement standards plus certification of the operator other than HAM. I don't think that a lot of the offshore hobby electronics meet this standard......if so it would be a bit of dough to certify it with Industry Canada or the FCC. A few hoops to jump through to be sure.

Lots of twists to this commercial end of things. I think that this technology is so in it's infancy that there are more questions than answers to do it all in a legal fashion. Frustrating to say the least for a small time operator.

Funny enough, then there is the GoPro wireless control that allows you to operate a camera in more or less real time (5sec delay) with router technology. A limited range to be sure but it still works really well and is legal! Weird....eh?

I am just the messenger. Don't shoot!!!!

Hey......could be worse. Just look at the Oregon Bill SD71 thread.

MJ
mdjohnson is offline Find More Posts by mdjohnson
Last edited by mdjohnson; Feb 06, 2013 at 11:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:23 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,968 Posts
MJ that is my understanding as well. As soon as it becomes commercial then all elements need certification, including the fpv equipment. So right now your pretty much only going to be able to do los since most fpv gear being used is not IC certified. I suspect most UHF long range radio gear would be the same.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:23 AM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdjohnson View Post
I am just in the middle of a course for acquiring my Canadian HAM license. Please be aware that this is an amateur broadcast operating certificate only. This will NOT allow you to conduct operations in a commercial application. It is the equivilent of a Private Pilot License. Recreational use only but you may operate and broadcast continually in an emergency situation.

As far as I can interpret the requirements for a Canadian SFOC, it is a direct visual contact LOS operation only. This does not include BLOS or LOS with the pilot flying FPV (goggles or laptop) as far as I can tell. The spotter is required to advise of other conflicts with air traffic and any other safety of flight issues. If you need to operate a camera with remote equipment then another dedicated operator is required (ie, operating with FPV goggles). As far as I can tell the broadcast equipment then requires testing from Industry Canada to meet their commercial requirement standards plus certification of the operator other than HAM. I don't think that a lot of the offshore hobby electronics meet this standard......if so it would be a bit of dough to certify it with Industry Canada or the FCC. A few hoops to jump through to be sure.

Lots of twists to this commercial end of things. I think that this technology is so in it's infancy that there are more questions than answers to do it all in a legal fashion. Frustrating to say the least for a small time operator.

Funny enough, then there is the GoPro wireless control that allows you to operate a camera in more or less real time (5sec delay) with router technology. A limited range to be sure but it still works really well and is legal! Weird....eh?

I am just the messenger. Don't shoot!!!!

Hey......could be worse. Just look at the Oregon Bill SD71 thread.

MJ
You are absolutely right.
I forgot about the commercial aspect.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Feb 07, 2013, 08:22 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,114 Posts
I certainly learned a lot in the last 2 pages. I understood that SFOC is like submitting a flight plan ? There are some guys here in Quebec that do it commercially, and it looked like a lot of regulations and insurance costs, now I understand it a lot better.

Personally, I think it would be nice to make a bit of money out of the hobby, but with all the restrictions I feel it would soon remove the fun out of it and put some pressure because there is a lot involved with the safety, insurance, managing others working with you AND the client so not for me. Apart maybe a little paying pic here and there, but it didn't happen yet.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:23 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,999 Posts
exactly. Commercial use by FPV products we use is basically illegal in all respects. I do not get this rush to try and make money flying our hobby grade planes and quads. I certainly would love to use it for ambitious volunteer projects like SAR or to help with university research, but am certainly not in it for the money. I'm in it for the FPV flying first and foremost - as per this forum title, which is not about videography.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Feb 07, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:52 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,409 Posts
No matter what you do, hobby or professional, you should always approach it with safety as a priority. If you think safe, you should do well.

Here is a vid of my personal distance record that I did last May. It was my EG Pro, live feed from gopro, 500mw 2.4 vtx. Great video out at 2.4km, even when I was pretty low. I've since retired the EG Pro and moved over to the 1900 SW and 1.2 video. My wife wanted me to go to a birthday party for her girlfriend's boyfriend. Don't know him so I went flying instead. I did buzz the house where she was at so I did show up.

Easy Glider FPV DVR recording (15 min 30 sec)
Buffythesaint is offline Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:10 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,114 Posts
Quote:
I did buzz the house where she was at so I did show up.
LOL ! Bring a multi or plane to the party and fly over the place (safely) and install a screen for the other attendees, you'll steal the show. Password = poulet

https://vimeo.com/49155774
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:32 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,999 Posts
Nice flight Buffy. Hey the GoPro link image is pretty neat. How is it on overcast days?
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:32 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
LOL ! Bring a multi or plane to the party and fly over the place (safely) and install a screen for the other attendees, you'll steal the show. Password = poulet

https://vimeo.com/49155774
Very nive vid, loved that you showed some ground shots in also. Now that was a party. I can see why the password is "poulet" hehe.

Turns out, the boyfriend works for the miltary, with UAV's. Do our forces have UAV's?
Old Feb 08, 2013, 10:38 AM
Joined Feb 2005
2,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Nice flight Buffy. Hey the GoPro link image is pretty neat. How is it on overcast days?
I can't remember if it was the GP1 or GP2. The GP1 will show more dark areas on the ground, when towards bright light. The GP2 was better. On an over cast day, it worked well. Nice even displacement of the light around, no visible sun to mess things up. I've since gone to dedicated FPV cameras and GP for the HD footage. I do still use live feed on my MK quad. Here is an example of what multis can do for people, SAR. I used my MK Quad to find a downed wing. He searched for two weeks and couldn't find it. I think it went further then he thought. I found it on my first battery. It was a good feeling helping out. The battery was toast but everything else was fine.

MK Quad Rescue Mission (5 min 42 sec)
Last edited by Buffythesaint; Feb 08, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:11 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,114 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
...Do our forces have UAV's?
Yep ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dian_Air_Force

And BTW, that chicken and ribs were VERY good !
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:34 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,303 Posts
That awesome Buffy, glad he found his wing!
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 12:12 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Yep ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...dian_Air_Force

And BTW, that chicken and ribs were VERY good !
yeah watching that vid made me hungry
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:20 PM
FPVEEE ED
Quebec, Canada
Joined Jul 2010
293 Posts
Hi all canadian pilots Need some help here: I'm looking to buy for some rf attenuators (fixed), from 5 to 30DB, DC to 3Ghz or DC to 6Ghz supporting min 0.5W and max 2W, from a canadian source. Actually tried ordering directly from minicircuits a kit of 5, but shipping charges are really too d.... expensive !!! 61$ a kit, 80+$ shipping !!?? Thanks a lot
ecampos is offline Find More Posts by ecampos
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:34 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Milton
Joined Jan 2009
3,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecampos View Post
Hi all canadian pilots Need some help here: I'm looking to buy for some rf attenuators (fixed), from 5 to 30DB, DC to 3Ghz or DC to 6Ghz supporting min 0.5W and max 2W, from a canadian source. Actually tried ordering directly from minicircuits a kit of 5, but shipping charges are really too d.... expensive !!! 61$ a kit, 80+$ shipping !!?? Thanks a lot

Here is a 1 watt 0 to 3 ghz 8db. This should work for you.
http://www.digikey.ca/product-detail...263-ND/1767717
or 0 to 6 ghz http://www.digikey.ca/scripts/dksear...44=546&stock=1

What are you using it on?
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider