HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:58 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Buffy - You get your insurance yet for the SFOC?
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:21 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,415 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Buffy - You get your insurance yet for the SFOC?
I've looked into it. Capris Insurance does UAV policies and has experience with UAV clients. 2K for 2mil PL/PD per year. Not too bad as I was thinking it would be more. There is another company that has a policy for 1.5k but 1mil PL/PD. Can't think of it at the moment. I'm hoping they may come up with a more relaxed policy for multis, say under 10lbs, LOS flight only and under 400'. Most shots for vid/pics are best at 150ft and lower. And never fly over people but property would be OK with the clients permission. I also hope after a few years of SFOC's, you can get a blanket SFOC, no waiting. Just log your flights and keep good records if TC wants to check up on you. UAV services in Alberta has a blanket SFOC so it can be done.
Buffythesaint is online now Find More Posts by Buffythesaint
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:25 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
I've looked into it. Capris Insurance does UAV policies and has experience with UAV clients. 2K for 2mil PL/PD per year. Not too bad as I was thinking it would be more. There is another company that has a policy for 1.5k but 1mil PL/PD. Can't think of it at the moment. I'm hoping they may come up with a more relaxed policy for multis, say under 10lbs, LOS flight only and under 400'. Most shots for vid/pics are best at 150ft and lower. And never fly over people but property would be OK with the clients permission. I also hope after a few years of SFOC's, you can get a blanket SFOC, no waiting. Just log your flights and keep good records if TC wants to check up on you. UAV services in Alberta has a blanket SFOC so it can be done.
wow, sounds complicated, so you need the SFOC for doing any commercial operations i gather? and submit one for approval for each flight?

edit: is it required for any area or just built up / urban areas?
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:27 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Ya I've been talking to a number on insurance as well, all within that same ballpark $1500-$5000. One thing I did find is that some state the coverage is per aircraft and the premium is per aircraft, not for the business. While others state it as a policy for the UAV within the business. I've also heard some are selling coverage that actually doesn't cover you when in the air yet it gets around the requirement in the SFOC. The more I research and learn the more confused it becomes.

Jason at Capri is probably the most in the know on it.

Most are all actually through KILN Group Aviation
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:27 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
wow, sounds complicated, so you need the SFOC for doing any commercial operations i gather? and submit one for approval for each flight?

Any area once you do anything commercial of any kind. In a built up urban area you probably wont even get an SFOC. It is stated as one per flight operation but some have been granted longer terms ones after a few times it seems.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,415 Posts
Quote:

It does sound complicated but once you have a company manual together, that is approved by TC, you need a SFOC for each job, no matter where. It would include where, when, what type of flying. With all the info in the SFOC, TC would decide to approve or not. If they think it's too risky, they may say no. It's all about safety. If you can show that, they will be happy.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:33 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Yes a big portion of the SFOC is showing you know what you are doing - having safety procedures, trained spotters, safety equipment on site, means of radio communications, aircraft maintenance logs and so on. Seems like a lot the first time but once you have most of it in place the rest becomes more operation specific.

Liability coverage as per the SFOC only requires $100,000 but most places wont provider less than 1 million coverage and most commercial or government work requires 2 million from what I have heard and researched.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:33 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffythesaint View Post
It does sound complicated but once you have a company manual together, that is approved by TC, you need a SFOC for each job, no matter where. It would include where, when, what type of flying. With all the info in the SFOC, TC would decide to approve or not. If they think it's too risky, they may say no. It's all about safety. If you can show that, they will be happy.
good to know.

With the amount of gear i got and how smoothly everything's been going, i've wondered how i could apply my hobby in a more commercial direction.

Food for thought anyways, something that's rattling around in that dusty cage above my neck
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 06:38 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
oh buffy, one last question, what level of ham license you need to get an SFOC?
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:03 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,415 Posts
Quote:
If your running 2.4 for control and within LOS(2.4 would work well with LOS, no uhf required), no ham license. Not sure if TC cares if you have a HAM or not, different department.
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:07 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
I'm not even sure if you can get an SFOC unless it is LOS but not 100% sure on that. Any gear would also need to be certified for use in Canada I suspect and much of the fpv gear isn't.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:25 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,049 Posts
Buffy does TC you to have a commercial pilots license, even for LOS videomaking for profit?

Had a friend who came across a crew running a octocopter doing practice flights at MAAC field in Kamloops. They claimed to all be commercial pilots, most of them functioning as spotters for the pilot. Not sure if they were flying FPV or LOS.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Pilots license is not required for SFOC at least not yet, although I'm sure it helps with getting approved.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:28 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,977 Posts
Here is the main link to the TC info http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviatio...i-uav-2265.htm
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 06, 2013, 09:31 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Quote:
Industry Canada requires that you have a HAM radio license ( basic level ) to use telemetry at radiated power levels greater than 0.75 milliwatts .
Just so long as you have somebody with a HAM radio certificate present during the
operation of a UAV or even an FPV then it's OK. So you can have one member of
your UAV team who has an SFOC and the other member with a HAM call sign.
A person having possession of both certifications is best and maybe it might have a positive affect on your insurance rate.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk