HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:22 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,767 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...ter_Motor.html

I saw a youtube of a guy hovering with these motors on a quad - for a full hour! But it was loaded with batteries. I know even 30min might be pie in the sky. Just want to be a lot better than the usual 6 min of my HTFPV quad.

I built the tri long ago. Put long wood arms to help make it a bit more docile. Had trouble tuning it with a KK board. I have a bit to learn about PIDs still. I might try again with the KK2.

I like how it is a big aircraft, but I can fit it into an old 450 heli case I have, along with everything to travel and do FPV.

BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 27, 2013 at 04:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:19 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Same, would like to build a tri, but one that has some ability to carry a gopro and has more than 10 minutes duration.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:21 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Polix, what range and flight time do you expect on your future multi ? I would think a plane is more suited to long range because of the autonomy ? Never heard of a multi flying for more than 15 minutes.
for long range yeah plane is definitely the way to go, i took my hex out to about 1km today, with 2 x 5000maH 3s i get max 13 minutes flight time. I ran a lot of different combinations on the multi rotor e-calc and i figure with 24" props on a hex i should be able to get about 30+ minutes flight time, 45+ with a very light carbon fibre frame. Not gonna pull the trigger on the project yet, i got some more learning to do first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I've just heard they are a lot more stable than quads (and less responsive) for aerial video etc, which is why I want to get one.
i have nothing to compare to but my hex is pretty stable, though today the naza decided to have some fits and i had to fight it to keep in control, had 2 fits of about 10 seconds each, and they always started right at the beginning of the flight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Multirotor definition: a sinkhole in which unlimited energy can be devoured in no time at all. Of course a plane is many times more efficient. My buddy with an Aquacopter measured 18A per motor just to hover and fly slowly. That is 72 amps just to sustain level flight. My Zephyr2 wing can cruise at 8 amps, and it is sort of a speedy not especially efficient plane.

However...

There are better cofigurations which are vastly more efficient. These are not off the shelf multirotors that I have seen, though. The Tricopter I built is intended for long duration flying - maybe even half an hour. The key is to use multirotor specific low kV ($$) motors with large props. The motors on my tri cost 3x as much as the ones on my Aquacopter.
my hex draws 30A total hovering with a 5800mAh battery strapped to it, that power goes fast! but i love the freedom my hex gives me compared to my planes
CrashAffinity is online now Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:50 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
well, my fiberglass resin coated balsa legs met an untimely death today =) silly mistake of mine, oh well, gimbal got destroyed too.

It was a good test though, the gimbal worked great but too much wobbliness, a design failure on my part.

Oh well, $35 and some of my time down the tubes, but it was a great learner, i must admit.

Off to calgary with no flying rigs, and will likely do a loop through Edmonton and Jasper on my way back on thursday, you guys have fun!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:03 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
My Cheapo Skywalker Camera Gimbal

Just spent the last few days designing and building my camera gimbal for my Hobby King fiberglass Skywalker. Right now I am using the Ardupilot Mega 1.4 board to operate the stabilization of the gimbal . Unfortunately I had to use Arducopter firmware for the stabilization to work. I plan on using the FY -30 stabilizer later on .
I was thinking of using the KK-2 board but I think it will give me problems.
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Last edited by larry baraniuk; Jan 28, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:23 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,148 Posts
Interesting. Do you use that to map land ?

BC, that foldable tricopter in an heli case is great ! Any problems with the set screws onn these motors ? FPV manuals has some of these motors for their quad and this summer I talked to a guy who had problems with these. Not sure if they are the same motors, but sure look alike. also, what props (size/brand) do you use ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:31 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,767 Posts
abitious camera gimabl Larry. nice job.

I know FPVManuals have a slightly different model of these motors. Could be there are issues - I dunno. Have not got it flying well yet. Too bad Naza does not support tricopters yet. I will try KK2 because at least I can adjust PIDs at the field.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:47 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,148 Posts
I love my KK. Take the time to tune it, I'm sure you will like it too. Its not locked in as a naza, but great feeling of really flying the machine. Depends what you like I suppose though.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:28 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
well, my fiberglass resin coated balsa legs met an untimely death today =) silly mistake of mine, oh well, gimbal got destroyed too.

It was a good test though, the gimbal worked great but too much wobbliness, a design failure on my part.

Oh well, $35 and some of my time down the tubes, but it was a great learner, i must admit.

Off to calgary with no flying rigs, and will likely do a loop through Edmonton and Jasper on my way back on thursday, you guys have fun!
Have a good trip, it you want Graupner props for your hex then Hobby Alley in Edmonton has a reasonable price on them and usually quite a few in stock. You have to go to their store on 97th & Yellowhead though, the store by West Ed usually doesn't carry the Graupners.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Last edited by Glenstr; Jan 28, 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:46 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Have a good trip, it you wand Graupner props for your hex then Hobby Alley in Edmonton has a reasonable price on them and usually quite a few in stock. You have to go to their store on 97th & Yellowhead though, the store by West Ed usually doesn't carry the Graupners.
yeah? i should check them out, will put it on my list
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:04 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,148 Posts
Be carefull, you'll be tempted if you go in a hobby shop
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:24 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,767 Posts
tempted in a Hobby shop? Must be nice to have interesting hobby shops where you guys are. The ones here are a turn off. I drool at RMRC, Foxtech and Hobbyking websites instead
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:14 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,148 Posts
I don't think there are brick and mortar FPV shops, that would be too cool. We have a hobbyshop in Quebec city, an hour drive from me. Its cool but doesn't carry much of what an FPV'er needs. I buy my "regular" planes there and also bought my summit. Each year on dec. 31st they invite us and have a buffet and even beer. Nice day
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:07 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
The F550 is a good starter hex kit but if you plan to carry a lot of gear or a larger gimbal and camera you might want to upgrade the motors or look at other frame options. But it is a good setup for a GoPro gimbal with the addition of landing legs.

I carry the Heavy SIXcopter from quadframe.com as a step up from the F550.
http://flitelab.com/OnlineStore/Mult...SIXcopter.aspx
Thanks - I'll check in to that. I see that you have a nice looking gopro gimbal on the site too, do you sell the sixcopter frame & gimbal combo?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,253 Posts
Quote:
Thanks - I'll check in to that. I see that you have a nice looking gopro gimbal on the site too, do you sell the sixcopter frame & gimbal combo?
Depending on the overall order I might be able to offer some discounts on a bundle. They are made to work with the landing legs and frame but no combo per se as many people like to pick and choose their components.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor