SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:20 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Time ! Man, maybe I don't see how lucky I am ? I work 3 evenings a week 'til 9 (and the 5 days of course) ! My wife goes to bed early though, so I can work in the shop until midnight, or sometimes later. I like going to bed late, its the wake up that's tough

Hope you'll have some time to come back to Montreal this summer.
Hoping I can too. Will have to see how the summer goes. Had a blast last year.
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:13 PM
Banff Alberta Canada
Joined Nov 2004
569 Posts
Echolink FPV Conference

So has anybody here tried connecting to the Echolink bi-weekly FPV - HAM conference and if so , is it worth checking out.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1614086
larry baraniuk is offline Find More Posts by larry baraniuk
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:29 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
So has anybody here tried connecting to the Echolink bi-weekly FPV - HAM conference and if so , is it worth checking out.
well, you have to have a HAM license to join, so i guess i'm mud.... bunch of elitists! lol
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:42 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
well, successfully made new legs + functional gimbal for my F550 for about $35, just gotta finish wiring up the rest of the stuff and will shoot a quick iPhone vid and upload it for you guys, it's not pretty but it works!
I was sooo close to pulling the trigger on a 550 today, went in to maybe pick up a gps unit for my 450, then got looking at the 550, added that to the price of another naza with gps & decided to wait awhile longer.

Still trying to decide on a frame if I go the hexa route though, but the 550 arf seems to be still the most bang for the buck..
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:25 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
I was sooo close to pulling the trigger on a 550 today, went in to maybe pick up a gps unit for my 450, then got looking at the 550, added that to the price of another naza with gps & decided to wait awhile longer.

Still trying to decide on a frame if I go the hexa route though, but the 550 arf seems to be still the most bang for the buck..
i'm loving mine, but then keep in mind it's my first multi rotor, i have nothing to compare it to.

Next one i build will have 24" props, it'll be configured purely for long range long duration flights, likely in the fall? just putting together that gimbal video now
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:29 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry baraniuk View Post
I tried, then gave up when the online service wanted to take a week to verify my license?!! I think I got the email it was verified but just seemed to be a hassle all around, when folks could just do a Skype video conference or something more 21st century

As for Naza - I am growing in my addiction to the Valium it injects into my quads. Just ordered a 2nd Naza FC and gave up on the KK2 after some harrowing flights today.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:33 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I tried, then gave up when the online service wanted to take a week to verify my license?!! I think I got the email it was verified but just seemed to be a hassle all around, when folks could just do a Skype video conference or something more 21st century
this reminds me of.....

The bulldozer driver, looking guilty, ducks behind the steering wheel. Prosser removes plans from his briefcase.
PROSSER
Look. These plans have been on display at
the planning office now for a year.
ARTHUR
On display? I had to go down to a cellar!
PROSSER
That's the display department.
ARTHUR
I eventually found them in the bottom of a
locked filing cabinet in a disused
lavatory with a sign on the door saying
'beware of the leopard'.
PROSSER
Mr. Dent, have you any idea how much
damage that bulldozer would suffer if I
just let it roll straight over you?
ARTHUR
How much?
PROSSER
None at all.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post

The F550 is a good starter hex kit but if you plan to carry a lot of gear or a larger gimbal and camera you might want to upgrade the motors or look at other frame options. But it is a good setup for a GoPro gimbal with the addition of landing legs.

I carry the Heavy SIXcopter from quadframe.com as a step up from the F550.
http://flitelab.com/OnlineStore/Mult...SIXcopter.aspx
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:09 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
Aquacopter finally waterproofed, FPV'd, and ready for sea trials...

we've had so much rain lately, that means first sea trials are just the runway at our field (more water than tarmac)

BCSaltchucker - What motors did you go with on your Aquacopter?

I still have my frame here to build out on the long list of builds waiting :-) Think I'll go with the MS2216s 900kv when my next order of motors arrives. Had considered some 2212 908kv sized Leopard motors but thinking they may be a bit small on this frame especially with GoPro hanging under it.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:17 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,329 Posts
Polix, what range and flight time do you expect on your future multi ? I would think a plane is more suited to long range because of the autonomy ? Never heard of a multi flying for more than 15 minutes.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:26 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i'm loving mine, but then keep in mind it's my first multi rotor, i have nothing to compare it to.

Next one i build will have 24" props, it'll be configured purely for long range long duration flights, likely in the fall? just putting together that gimbal video now
I've just heard they are a lot more stable than quads (and less responsive) for aerial video etc, which is why I want to get one.
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:14 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
BCSaltchucker - What motors did you go with on your Aquacopter?

I still have my frame here to build out on the long list of builds waiting :-) Think I'll go with the MS2216s 900kv when my next order of motors arrives. Had considered some 2212 908kv sized Leopard motors but thinking they may be a bit small on this frame especially with GoPro hanging under it.
this motor
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14738

Now I did NOT put much thought into this choice. I bought a multirotor power system from a friend who had to get out of the hobby many months ago and needed a frame to put it into. I just used these one by default. They are low end, not very efficient motors. If I were to build another from scratch I might consider some more efficient multirotor specific motors. But they are probably as good as stock DJI motors
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:16 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,339 Posts
Great thanks. Ya I think I'll go with the 2216 just so I have a bit of overhead. Want to keep the build light but its a heavier frame to start with.

Hopefully I'll get back to it next week and get this thing built.
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:19 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
I would think a plane is more suited to long range because of the autonomy ? Never heard of a multi flying for more than 15 minutes.
Multirotor definition: a sinkhole in which unlimited energy can be devoured in no time at all. Of course a plane is many times more efficient. My buddy with an Aquacopter measured 18A per motor just to hover and fly slowly. That is 72 amps just to sustain level flight. My Zephyr2 wing can cruise at 8 amps, and it is sort of a speedy not especially efficient plane.

However...

There are better cofigurations which are vastly more efficient. These are not off the shelf multirotors that I have seen, though. The Tricopter I built is intended for long duration flying - maybe even half an hour. The key is to use multirotor specific low kV ($$) motors with large props. The motors on my tri cost 3x as much as the ones on my Aquacopter.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:56 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,329 Posts
Interested by a tricapable of such flight times. Links to your motors would be appreciated if possible .
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member