HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:48 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,420 Posts
Is that a bearcat FPV ? man that looks sweet ! U'd love a foam warbird with pan tilt and only FPV cam, amybe a #16 HD with wide angle lens and that's all. Would go to funflies with it thanks to the new rules at MAAC.

BTW, do you guys intend to have your amateur radio liscence to go at MAAC funflies/club field ?
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,180 Posts
F4F Wildcat with a sort of scale cockpit (I actually printed off a pic of a real Wildcat panel)

This was an earlier flight. Now I find it is great for aerobatics - snap rolls super fast. I put a small CMOS cam on because this plane is super sensitive to weight and CG, but the image quality of the small cams is obviously worse than the nice large CCD we usually use.

Wildcat (2 min 13 sec)

I have a MAAC membership and I have a HAM license, call sign VE7 SKO

I sometimes fly with a MAAC soaring club, and they let me do FPV as long as there are people to do spotting duties. But otherwise all flying is done at non MAAC locations.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 30, 2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:14 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Is that a bearcat FPV ? man that looks sweet ! U'd love a foam warbird with pan tilt and only FPV cam, amybe a #16 HD with wide angle lens and that's all. Would go to funflies with it thanks to the new rules at MAAC.

BTW, do you guys intend to have your amateur radio liscence to go at MAAC funflies/club field ?
I just looked up the MAAC rules for FPV, and there appears to be a typo:

They saw if you're using anything above 0.75mW of power you need to get an amateur radio license, i'm pretty sure they mean 0.75W, or 750mW. All my stuff is below that so i won't have to bother.

However there is that stipulation about getting an FPV exam to be granted FPV flight status at your club, and any club can insist that you be retested on their terms.

I know my club hasn't asked me to be tested yet, mostly because who would test me? lol.

If i plan on going past 500mW on the UHF LRS i'll get my amateur radio license, because that allows you to legally use a 7W UHF amplifier in Canada.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,180 Posts
incorrect. You may not broadcast anything above 0.75mW without a HAM license, not 750 mW. To be legal, that is. I may be legal but I do not judge folks who choose to broadcast FPV illegally, does not bother me as long as they do not cause interference to anybody.

Some countries allow folks to broadcast certain frequencies up to 10mW or 25mW without a license, but not in Canada. I use 200mW minimum, some 300, 700 and 1W.

At MAAC clubs, they allow anyone to broadcast FPV without a license if there is another person present who has a HAM license and can ensure the HAM broadcast complies with the rules.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:24 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
incorrect. You may not broadcast anything above 0.75mW without a HAM license, not 750 mW. To be legal, that is. I may be legal but I do not judge folks who choose to broadcast FPV illegally, does not bother me as long as they do not cause interference to anybody.

Some countries allow folks to broadcast certain frequencies up to 10mW or 25mW without a license, but not in Canada. I use 200mW minimum, some 300, 700 and 1W.
Really? That's not a typo? Well forget doing FPV at any MAAC field or event in that case without a license ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
4,180 Posts
just contact a local HAM club. They will set you up. The test is easy. Two of us RC guys took it, and each scored over 95%. The examiner came to my office to conduct the test and was very friendly.

Amusing flying FPV around the MAAC line of sight crowd. 'you are GETTING CLOSE TO THE TREES LOOK GETTING CLOSE TO THE TREES!!' meanwhile I can see the trees a hundred feet away perfectly well in the goggles. They do not have the vantage point us FPVers have but see what we do as out of control or dangerous, which is kind of ironic since we have more control and better awareness of where our plane is headed than they do. The non MAAC field I fly at is the opposite - it is a free for all, minimal rules, no MAAC rules for sure, and they think FPV is cool with no worries.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:28 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
just contact a local HAM club. They will set you up. The test is easy. Two of us RC guys took it, and each scored over 95%. The examiner came to my office to conduct the test and was very friendly.
nice i'll look into it
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:18 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:

Amusing flying FPV around the MAAC line of sight crowd. 'you are GETTING CLOSE TO THE TREES LOOK GETTING CLOSE TO THE TREES!!' meanwhile I can see the trees a hundred feet away perfectly well in the goggles. They do not have the vantage point us FPVers have but see what we do as out of control or dangerous, which is kind of ironic since we have more control and better awareness of where our plane is headed than they do. The non MAAC field I fly at is the opposite - it is a free for all, minimal rules, no MAAC rules for sure, and they think FPV is cool with no worries.
I've made it a point to fly between 2 particular trees that flank the approach path of the landing strip, and i hear the occasional gasp from the other guys, but that's exactly it, they can't see what i see
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:21 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Here's a quick picture of my new DVR from hobbyking, it's receiving the signal from the tx at the moment (it has a built in receiver). Works awesome. When i'm running it i'll actually have it just recording a video feed from the goggles or ground station.

Oh and i picked up a gopro3 today too. Tested the video at 720p at 60f, WOW.

Hopefully the rain lets up tomorrow and i'll be able to get some nice video.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
Canada, BC, Duncan
Joined Dec 2006
3,604 Posts
Subscribing.
JMSTECH is offline Find More Posts by JMSTECH
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:27 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,025 Posts
+1
I just hope it don't turn into a MAAC FPV rules BS discussions...It well slowly fade away...

I can go elsewhere for that...
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:48 AM
Addict
Canada, AB, Calgary
Joined Sep 2012
28 Posts
Great thread

Checking in for Calgary, Alberta
Any other Calgarian FPVers out there?
Gotta admit, I am highly jealous of you BC guys! My local scenery is super bland and the wind in this city drives me mad! Every time I head West to visit my folks I ask myself why I live in this city.
FPVAME is offline Find More Posts by FPVAME
Last edited by FPVAME; Dec 01, 2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:52 AM
Dixie Normious
Can A da....Ehh!!
Joined May 2010
5,025 Posts
We have some great scenery out east, but the dame wind is the killer here too. avg winds are
25km...;0( and now this time of the year that make for some cold days... more damp from the ocean then the dry cold you guys get...i come in and a hour later im still cold..;0(
Eastcoast78 is offline Find More Posts by Eastcoast78
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: TF to DOSD wiring.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:10 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPVAME View Post
Great thread

Checking in for Calgary, Alberta
Any other Calgarian FPVers out there?
Gotta admit, I am highly jealous of you BC guys! My local scenery is super bland and the wind in this city drives me mad! Everyone I head West to visit my folks I ask myself why I live in this city.
Hey, i just moved down here from Calgary maybe 3 years ago... lived in Calgary for 25 years. I still head up there every 2 months to see clients etc.

You want AWESOME fpv scenery? head up to banff, take a right instead of the left into banff on the turnoff. You enter the 'loop'. Lake minewanka or whatever is called, incredible.... there's some real good places to fly there. As long as you hide from the park people i think lol.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:12 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoast78 View Post
+1
I just hope it don't turn into a MAAC FPV rules BS discussions...It well slowly fade away...

I can go elsewhere for that...
no worries, i was momentarily stupefied by some of the rules. Normally i prefer to fly first and make apologies later =)
RCG Plus Member