HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:11 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,127 Posts
You might as well put a fishing line onder the Hex. Bet you could lift some pretty big ones with that thing.

Don't forget to dump the plane on purpose and film everything, this sure will be a nice video to watch
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:16 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,919 Posts
Hmmmmm....towing a plane in water with currents and wind, and then add in magnets and string....I think that you are asking for a disaster but make sure to video it!
Shadrack is offline Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:25 PM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
I just had a wild crazy idea.... say i'm flying my bixler over water and it tanks, i'm thinking of gluing some magnets to the top, then hanging a long string from the hex with magnets on the end, then i could go fly out and tow it back! I'd just have to make sure the magnet connection was weak enough that the hex could pull away if it had to, or pop a servo tow release on the bottom ...

this is likely a bad idea... but it just seems too cool not to try!
Yeah! Do it! You probably want a second camera on hex looking down with a video switch.
smason is offline Find More Posts by smason
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:26 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
I just had a wild crazy idea.... say i'm flying my bixler over water and it tanks, i'm thinking of gluing some magnets to the top, then hanging a long string from the hex with magnets on the end, then i could go fly out and tow it back! I'd just have to make sure the magnet connection was weak enough that the hex could pull away if it had to, or pop a servo tow release on the bottom ...

this is likely a bad idea... but it just seems too cool not to try!
if you could rig some sort of release mechanism then just put a fishing treble hook on the end of a fishing rod with a large capacity reel, fly out to your plane & drop the treble hook on the far side of your plane, and reel 'er in, no?
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,762 Posts
A pricey quad out over water trying to do a rescue sounds kind of expensive (ie high risk of the quad going int he drink, and they are not EPO and don't float!).

Plenty of folks have purchased RC boats to do plane rescues though. Just drag a string with a tennis ball, or have an arm to grab the plane.

However, Now that I have a floating waterproof quad - I would consider using it for water rescues. It can actually just airboat itself along. Just not on my lagoon where I have a dinghy.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Jan 24, 2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:43 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
if you could rig some sort of release mechanism then just put a fishing treble hook on the end of a fishing rod with a large capacity reel, fly out to your plane & drop the treble hook on the far side of your plane, and reel 'er in, no?
this is the best idea yet, thanks Glen!
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:10 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Quote:
this is the best idea yet, thanks Glen!
Actually with an aquacopter like BC'S's you could just tie the fishing line to it, drop the quad in the water and reel the whole works in

I think that might be my next frame, but this one from MikeysRC looks cool too and a lot less $$

Cheapest Super Light Quadcopter Frame $5 & 180 grams - Multirotor (8 min 11 sec)
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:16 AM
It's all up from here..
Prince Rupert, Canada
Joined Aug 2007
2,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
You might as well put a fishing line onder the Hex. Bet you could lift some pretty big ones with that thing.

Don't forget to dump the plane on purpose and film everything, this sure will be a nice video to watch

....cool idea! He might just be lucky enough to entice Ogopogo.....and grab video of it...!

Now that would be worth the price of a multi....!!!

Cuzn
(The little kid who used to fear the Ogopogo would eat him if he swam out too far...)
CuznWeakEyes is offline Find More Posts by CuznWeakEyes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:34 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
now now, lets not get ahead of ourselves... i have crazy ideas but cool thoughts always prevail before i have a chance to go through them, just realized how much my multi costs, i think i'll rig an FPV retrieval boat first
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:42 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,762 Posts
Aquacopter finally waterproofed, FPV'd, and ready for sea trials...

we've had so much rain lately, that means first sea trials are just the runway at our field (more water than tarmac)

Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:48 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
now you just need a little miniature windshield wiper for that fpv cam!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:58 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,762 Posts
indeed. I have been mulling over ideas for a wiper for months now. Maybe on my next generation of waterproof FPV pod. I might just risk putting RainX on there.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 07:17 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,127 Posts
Rain x works great on a gopro lens. Check that it does not affect the plastic first. Do you have a link to your motors ?
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:54 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
that looks good BCS, curious to see how cool everything runs being confined like that.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:31 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,127 Posts
Running it here sure wouln't be a problem, between -25 and -30 C all week
Man, I don't even let the summit out Good time to advance projects in the shop though
RCG Plus Member