HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:45 AM
also known as ke123
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
RC is so crazy cheap. People think a could hundred bucks is an issue? I have paid more than that for one round of golf. Considered joining a local club for $50k - and minimum $10k/yr in fees and member spending.

I would rather spend that to fly RC in style than golf though.

But I also understand that any fee should be justified by prudent club spending. MAAC itself is guilty of throwing a lot of money into imprudent expenditures (eg they give tens of thousands to pay for travel expenses of aerobatics competitors - I see it as a subsidy given to grown men to play with toy airplanes, and that is not right. I mean nobody is going to subsidize my trips around the continent doing FPV videos.)
100% agree.
$50k plus another $10k per year in fees for a golf club? <facepalm>.
krise is online now Find More Posts by krise
Last edited by krise; Jan 08, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:15 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krise View Post
100% agree.
$50k plus another $10k per year in fees for a golf club? <facepalm>.
+1 - I can walk around the bush looking for golf balls for free, can't see spending 60+K to do it!
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Jan 08, 2013, 09:26 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,228 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
- I see it as a subsidy given to grown men to play with toy airplanes, and that is not right. I mean nobody is going to subsidize my trips around the continent doing FPV videos.)
Give it time, FPV is still new.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Jan 08, 2013, 02:47 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,453 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
I would understand 20 dollars a month even being ok as long as the facilities support the math. If you have 100 members paying 240 dollars a year, then that is 24000 dollars of fees collected. If you are leasing land with that type of value, then fantastic.
Like everything else.
We have 30 - 35 members and the lease costs 1500 $ a year. It adds up pretty quick. Will be even higher now because the lease contract is due and the pwner will certainly up the price. If it wasn't for our funfly raising some money, we would pay 200 $ membership fees. We did manage to build a reserve fund so if get thrown out, we can pay for the move.
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The new season begins !
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:13 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
We have 30 - 35 members and the lease costs 1500 $ a year. It adds up pretty quick. Will be even higher now because the lease contract is due and the pwner will certainly up the price. If it wasn't for our funfly raising some money, we would pay 200 $ membership fees. We did manage to build a reserve fund so if get thrown out, we can pay for the move.
ouch! guess i should be happy with $80 a year dues i think we pay maybe $1k for our lease that's it

on a side note, just had a chat with a company i used to work for a bajillion years ago (they're a customer of mine now) and they said they'd CNC my new hexactoper frame for me for free... now just gotta do up a design and pick materials etc...

Think 6 x 24" props
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2013, 03:36 PM
also known as ke123
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
ouch! guess i should be happy with $80 a year dues i think we pay maybe $1k for our lease that's it

on a side note, just had a chat with a company i used to work for a bajillion years ago (they're a customer of mine now) and they said they'd CNC my new hexactoper frame for me for free... now just gotta do up a design and pick materials etc...

Think 6 x 24" props
And when you need cash you can do a little heli-logging with it on the side lol
krise is online now Find More Posts by krise
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:46 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krise View Post
And when you need cash you can do a little heli-logging with it on the side lol
sounds like i'd need some extra props
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:53 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
I don't think anyone's gonna have problems seeing me now at night
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:11 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,453 Posts
You fly this near people, the phone will ring in Colorado...or wherever they are now !
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:15 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
You fly this near people, the phone will ring in Colorado...or wherever they are now !
i couldn't believe how bright the lights were, they were lighting up a building 200 feet away! i better put more lights on...
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:31 PM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
i couldn't believe how bright the lights were, they were lighting up a building 200 feet away! i better put more lights on...
What kind of lights are they?
smason is offline Find More Posts by smason
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:34 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smason View Post
What kind of lights are they?
i picked up 6 little LED flashlights from the dollar store for $3 each, sawed off the back ends, wired them together, it's the reflectors in the head that concentrate the light so well
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
4,321 Posts
Check out some of Hugo's flying. He has liquid cooled LED lights. He was flying with his plane at night in montreal and when he turned it on, it lit up the whole area. He has them focused in the nose of his plane with a reflector and actually created his own liquid cooling system with a pump and aluminum tubing outside the Twinstar.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:39 PM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
11,453 Posts
Quote:
Check out some of Hugo's flying. He has liquid cooled LED lights. He was flying with his plane at night in montreal and when he turned it on, it lit up the whole area. He has them focused in the nose of his plane with a reflector and actually created his own liquid cooling system with a pump and aluminum tubing outside the Twinstar.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,921 Posts
Quote:
you shouldn't give me bad ideas like that er.. i meant tempting
RCG Plus Member