SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:25 AM
Joined Jan 2007
4,495 Posts
Cambridge, Ontario so SW Ontario is represented here. I don't have any videos to post yet. My setup is quite a mix. So far I've been testing on my RC truck but I plan on moving the equipment to my EasyStar and eventually to one of my quads.

Jeff
Canadian Geek is online now Find More Posts by Canadian Geek
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:42 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
In Quebec we are some but in my place I'm alone. Some people are near Montreal, ohters in Quebec city, there is Hugo that makes antennas up north. I do meet sometimes with the guys in Quebec city and at the Montreal FPV meet, but otherwise I'm alone or at the club where the members are quite understanding of my LOS definition...

I recently stated a project with a summit truck and driving it FPV is lots of fun. people are attracted to the truck and its a grest intro to explain FPV.

BCSaltchucker, I think your 10k set up scares the other guys At my club, the guy will come see the monitor and take a ride on the goggles as passengers, but they are afraid just to ask about the cost, although they spend a lot money themselves on all sort of foam crap from HK and keep breaking them
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:48 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Woot, lots of Canadians here, awesome.

You guys have awesome videos, subscribed to all the youtube channels so i'll be checking out your other stuff as well later on. I'm not as familiar with vimeo though :P

From checking out your videos i have some serious catchup to do =)

Just checked my mail, my extra 200mw 5.8ghz transmitter / receiver sets came in, as well as my pocket DVR and some SMA extension cables, so now i can setup a proper diversity setup again (I already have the diversity, had it when i was playing with 900mhz).

Not sure how the weather is going to hold up here this weekend, it may just rain the whole time, but Monday is supposed to be sunny.

I'm settting up a video relay to my goggles from the ground station so that i keep my boosted DX8 away from the 5.8ghz receivers (though it hasn't been a problem yet) then i'll try and hit that sweet sweet 1km altitude.

I may end up accidentally buying a go pro as well, stranger things have happened.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:58 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,814 Posts
IMO the GoPro is a must if you want to make videos. The hero 2 can be had for bargai prices these days, the hero 3 seems to need some tuning on the software dept. before buying.
carguy1994ca is offline Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smason View Post
Its 5.8, but I'm in the process of switching to 1.2. I think it'll be fine when I'm using the Dragon Link.
I'll have my TH9x + ER9x + dragon link running shortly, i'll let you know what the results are both with 900mhz and 5.8ghz with respect to interference

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Well looks like I'll be representing the east coast for now.

Polix, be carefull going 1000m up, if you stay too close to the GS you'll loose polarisation and video will glitch a lot, depending of our aerials. I went as high as 1500m and was about 6 km away and I wouldn't have lost the signal because it would have drift far,far away.

Maybe its grey on your side of Ccanada in the winter, but here its cold ! I fly all winter anyway:

https://vimeo.com/36814448
it usually stays around freezing most of the winter here, which is great since my fingers lose circulation easily =) regarding the antennas, i hear what you're saying, for my vertical flight i'm actually going to point the CPs sideways for that particular flight, i'll throw in a helical too on the diversity, should be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenstr View Post
Whenever I drive anywhere now I'm looking around wondering if it would be good for FPV, the Okanagen would be great, especially the Summerland / Keromeos areas. I'm an AB transplant, originally from the Hope/Fraser Valley.
Since i got my gear to work, it's exactly what i think now as well, i keep scoping out places to go fly. Kamloops is on my list, the island, and i believe there's a great launch point just this side of roger's summit, would be great mountain views.

I've already decided to rent a boat and have a buddy drive it while i fly from Kelowna to Penticton in one shot, and keep somewhat close to the plane. It's about 45km, within range for my new plane, and it would make an awesome video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
so I am going to start building reliable FPV systems for them - just basic 5.8 within 500m stuff to give them a taste.
where were you when i started fpv? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Geek View Post
Cambridge, Ontario so SW Ontario is represented here. I don't have any videos to post yet. My setup is quite a mix. So far I've been testing on my RC truck but I plan on moving the equipment to my EasyStar and eventually to one of my quads.

Jeff
that's exactly what i did when i got in my 5.8ghz set, first the car, and i kept saying to myself as it went down to the end of the block, "why isn't the video cutting out?" then next day it was on the plane.

Quote:
BCSaltchucker, I think your 10k set up scares the other guys At my club, the guy will come see the monitor and take a ride on the goggles as passengers, but they are afraid just to ask about the cost, although they spend a lot money themselves on all sort of foam crap from HK and keep breaking them
this year i stopped just buying a new foamie every time i didn't feel like fixing the other broken ones in the hangar. And they only kept breaking because i'd get bored and start trying silly stunts. Now that i got the FPV it's a whole new ball game.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:07 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
IMO the GoPro is a must if you want to make videos. The hero 2 can be had for bargai prices these days, the hero 3 seems to need some tuning on the software dept. before buying.
just gonna hit up the gopro2 for now, i know it works and i can pick it up cheap too.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Aerial Photography
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2012
103 Posts
I fly a multirotor (hex) for aerial photography and video but have been thinking of getting into plane FPV as well. I know what I need to get for the FPV side of the deal but I have never flown an airplane, other than on a sim. Waiting for a good plane to come out to build my plane FPV rig when I decide to do it, looking at the Skyhunter.

Looking for the longest flight time on the plane + a decent capacity for FPV gear.

It would be great to have a meeting here in BC for the FPV guys where we can share our FPV experience and look at each other's equipment. Would like to see some people's airplane setups.

By the way, if you have 1.3 or 1.2 video and a UHF LRS such as dragon link you may have a problem. If you have a digital video rx such as the brvrc 1.3 one you will get interference. Instead get a racewood tx and rx and you will be good, that's what I had to do as I was getting mad interference from my rangelink on my bevrc 1.3 video rx.
kdrcguy is offline Find More Posts by kdrcguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:29 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
just gonna hit up the gopro2 for now, i know it works and i can pick it up cheap too.
Gopro 2 Outdoor edition was $179 on amazon.ca day before yesterday, but is just over $200 yesterday & today. ALMOST pulled the trigger on it, but I'm wondering if the GP3 white edition is more bang for the buck at about the same price.

Besides, I think I have enough flight cameras for now..

Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:39 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Gopro 2 Outdoor edition was $179 on amazon.ca day before yesterday, but is just over $200 yesterday & today. ALMOST pulled the trigger on it, but I'm wondering if the GP3 white edition is more bang for the buck at about the same price.

Besides, I think I have enough flight cameras for now..

umm... what am i looking at? i can't figure it out =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,640 Posts
WOW JUST WOW!

where is the Red Cam, though
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:44 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrcguy View Post
I fly a multirotor (hex) for aerial photography and video but have been thinking of getting into plane FPV as well. I know what I need to get for the FPV side of the deal but I have never flown an airplane, other than on a sim. Waiting for a good plane to come out to build my plane FPV rig when I decide to do it, looking at the Skyhunter.

Looking for the longest flight time on the plane + a decent capacity for FPV gear.

It would be great to have a meeting here in BC for the FPV guys where we can share our FPV experience and look at each other's equipment. Would like to see some people's airplane setups.

By the way, if you have 1.3 or 1.2 video and a UHF LRS such as dragon link you may have a problem. If you have a digital video rx such as the brvrc 1.3 one you will get interference. Instead get a racewood tx and rx and you will be good, that's what I had to do as I was getting mad interference from my rangelink on my bevrc 1.3 video rx.
if you haven't flown a plane, just get the plane you'd like to use for FPV and fly it around without the gear, get used to it, and once you're comfortable... voila. Not sure about the sky hunter, but i know the easy stars (or bixler at hobbyking) are very easy to fly.

i'm running 5.8ghz and no problems on my 2.4ghz, so UHF should be fine, but i'll test it.

Regarding an FPV meet, i haven't actually searched around to see if there's an organized one going on in AB or BC but if not, we'll make one.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
WOW JUST WOW!

where is the Red Cam, though
I haven't flown with all those, but I could. Usually it's two side by side doing a comparison, or the Canon P&S taking stills every 2 seconds while one of the helmet cams are doing video. The fpv cam is not in that pic, but is mounted just above those.

Just picked up a NEX-5N for this plane, have a remote trigger en route from flytron, can't wait to try it out.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:01 PM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,957 Posts
Quote:
I haven't flown with all those, but I could. Usually it's two side by side doing a comparison, or the Canon P&S taking stills every 2 seconds while one of the helmet cams are doing video. The fpv cam is not in that pic, but is mounted just above those.

Just picked up a NEX-5N for this plane, have a remote trigger en route from flytron, can't wait to try it out.
you got pictures of the assembled plane? this thing looks HUGE. That's a standard 30" wide folding table it's sitting on no?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:04 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,640 Posts
I haven't really got into the quality video making side of things, but now that I have a Penguin I might want to rig up a better-than-Gopro cam in the belly, since it can haul the weight of some nice P&S cams. I have a Hero2, a bunch of #16 cams, and a Replay1080. I don't use the GoPro much, except on my quad.

And speaking of quads and dealing with wet wet BC weather, I have a waterproof+floating 'aquacopter' frame coming. I also have made a waterproof 5.8 FPV pod which I already use on a number of planes. Once I put it on the quad I can basically fly any time anywhere. Really looking fwd to that. Might need to change it to 1280 for the rain.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:12 PM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
you got pictures of the assembled plane? this thing looks HUGE. That's a standard 30" wide folding table it's sitting on no?
It's 42" long and 80" wingspan, have a 90" wing for it too. It's Mike's (Power) "Exposure" design from over on the aerial photography board.

more pics here