HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:44 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
Dragonlink and 1280 are just what the doctored ordered. clean and powerful with the fewest headaches. But I still fly a quad and some planes on 2.4 but well under a km

I am really looking forward to doing a FPV trip to fly around the peaks of either Cypress or Seymour. Maybe we ought to make it a FPV meet? It can be pretty cool up there - either with view of the city or even better flying in full sun over a blanket of overcast cloud covering the whole city.

I made this vdeo from a couple days flying on the island

clayoqout experience in FPV (6 min 58 sec)

edited - uploaded the original version after youtube stripped out the soundtrack
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Dec 27, 2012 at 01:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:52 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
I am really looking forward to doing a FPV trip to fly around the peaks of either Cypress or Seymour. Maybe we ought to make it a FPV meet?

I made this vdeo from a couple days flying on the island
Ok, i'm jealous, officially. A couple years ago i took a toyota hiace and camped across the west coast for 5 weeks, including 2 weeks on the island, but this was BEFORE i got into RC. boo.

Yes there is definitely an FPV meet in our future! So far we have a few people on the west coast, this looks doable.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:12 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
Here's a quick vid from last weekend, got my bixler (aka sky surfer) up to 620m altitude via my HK video goggles, was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkx_OyRqZT0

Just fast forward to 1m10s in the video to get the good view.

This saturday i'm reorientating my antennas and going for a full KM in altitude =)
well what a spectacular place to fly! Wife and I stayed in Summerland in August a few days. Was itching to do some FPV there and brought my quad, but never got around to it. I am only now getting the cojones to fly off the roadside instead of at spacious flying field or a beach.

Bixler/SS/Easystar such a versatile fun plane. Very nice job.
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Nov 30, 2012 at 03:47 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:16 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
my super sky surfer + dragon link arrive next week, i'll be cruising the lake once i get the bugs worked out.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:17 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,960 Posts
but i will admit the ocean would be a much better area for visuals, now with my planes i'm going to be heading down there this spring for sure
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:17 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,319 Posts
Well looks like I'll be representing the east coast for now.

Polix, be carefull going 1000m up, if you stay too close to the GS you'll loose polarisation and video will glitch a lot, depending of our aerials. I went as high as 1500m and was about 6 km away and I wouldn't have lost the signal because it would have drift far,far away.

Maybe its grey on your side of Ccanada in the winter, but here its cold ! I fly all winter anyway:

Skywalker winter low flying (3 min 53 sec)
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:24 AM
Fly now crash later
Canada, ON, Newmarket
Joined Nov 2006
2,248 Posts
Subscribed eh, lol.
davecrash is offline Find More Posts by davecrash
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
Proud Canadian since 1976
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:35 AM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,894 Posts
Beauty thread here. Take Off Eh!
Canadian since...............forever, 1961
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:45 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
314 Posts
East side near Halifax. Not many people FPVing around here but I'm sure they're somewhere.
Night and winter is almost the only times there are out here to fly so you get used to it but there's almost never any distractions or onlookers. Everybody is welcome to come out and check out my kit or do some low level tree scraping with me. It would be cool to see somebody else's kit.

Looks like this out our way on linear whips, better nowadays with LL Lenses and CP:
FPV-Grind the Lot -Airkour at night (6 min 24 sec)
Vintabilly_NS is online now Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:29 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
13,319 Posts
Well Polix, considering how many people are coming in so far, I'd say you have a hit
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:42 AM
2Vision-Air
Canada, QC, Blainville
Joined Aug 2009
2,214 Posts
this is my FUN channel on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/user/bakchos1?feature=mhee

This is my Work channel :
http://www.youtube.com/user/2VisionAir?feature=mhee

And this is the video i did that i love the more :

FPV Wings chasing How low can you go ?? (3 min 52 sec)
bakchos is online now Find More Posts by bakchos
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:26 AM
Canada, AB, Lac La Biche
Joined Aug 2010
1,966 Posts
Good day eh.. there's a few of us in AB here FPV'ing, some from Edmonton, Lethbridge, Red Deer etc. There's a guy not to far from me in Cold Lake but I haven't seen him on the board in awhile.

Whenever I drive anywhere now I'm looking around wondering if it would be good for FPV, the Okanagen would be great, especially the Summerland / Keromeos areas. I'm an AB transplant, originally from the Hope/Fraser Valley.

Like Carguy, I fly in the winter here, when I can. Right now it's -20 so any flying is relegated to my blade tandem rescue in my house, but when it warms up to above -10 and the sun is out it's actually not bad to fly in. Last year we had perfect conditions where there was very little snow on the frozen lake I live on so it was like having one ginormous flat field to fly on, I managed to get a few flights on it.

My main plane is a huge home built I built for aerial photo/video, and a bit bulky to carry on holidays, plus it's a handful in the wind. Getting into multis which are better and am thinking seriously about a Penguin from Readmaderc as my next plane. The desert like area around Kamloops & the Okanagen look like great FPV locations and I really want to fly down Yak Peak one of these trips I often make back to the coast.

Here are a couple of videos I made on the ice here last year:

Last flight on the ice, spring 2012 (6 min 22 sec)

Flying Low (9 min 19 sec)
Glenstr is offline Find More Posts by Glenstr
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:33 AM
Vancouver, Canada
Joined Jan 2008
585 Posts
Beauty thread!

Way to go eh.

T.D.
T.D. is offline Find More Posts by T.D.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:20 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,837 Posts
it can be a bit of a lonely sport. There are a couple guys with light FPV gear locally, but they are not really into it like me - and I have spent about $10K in the past 14 months on this. A few other local flyers want to get into it but are intimidated by the DIY technology, so I am going to start building reliable FPV systems for them - just basic 5.8 within 500m stuff to give them a taste.

But sometimes I prefer it to be done solo, because the workload flying FPV (esp when testing new equipment or new location) can be heavy and I can do without the distractions of people around me. I am 45, and need fewer distractions to be safe.

BIggest downside to the coast: trees. We do not have land access, except for one private field which is very rough. Most of the area is covered with 100ft + trees, so a downed plane is a lost plane, full stop. Really would prefer to have open land like the prairies and Okanagan to fly over, but then the ocean and mountain scenery we have is nice too.