Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:10 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Discussion
The Canadian thread eh?

Well, not sure how many Canucks there are here, but i think there are quite a few, i decided to start this forum thread so that we can keep track of each other, exchange 'ehs,' etc!

Rules of the thread:

We're all adults here, we know our responsibilities and limitations. This is a communal thread. Have fun. Don't preach. Rule quoting is reserved for other threads.
CrashAffinity is offline Find More Posts by CrashAffinity
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CrashAffinity; Mar 14, 2013 at 11:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 AM
I tell her RC is cheap !
Quebec, Canada
Joined Sep 2006
12,167 Posts
Here is mine: Eh ?

Good idea, mapple syrup and FPV, two good things of life

There must be something nice about staying in "Summerland", I'd like to go there. There some others from BC that FPV, know some ?
carguy1994ca is online now Find More Posts by carguy1994ca
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV week end with friends
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy1994ca View Post
Here is mine: Eh ?

Good idea, mapple syrup and FPV, two good things of life

There must be something nice about staying in "Summerland", I'd like to go there. There some others from BC that FPV, know some ?
Not in the very local clubs, though i'm going to do my best to round them up and get them in here!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:58 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Mind you i'd like this to be a forum for any Canadians, even if they're not close enough to watch me crash my planes live! =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
There are 5 or 6 of us FPVing at our field here in Coquitlam. I bet there are some great places to FPV around Summerland eh!

Here's one of my flights at our field. Had a problem with the radio at one point, going to switch to Dragon Link

Nearly Lost It (6 min 33 sec)
smason is offline Find More Posts by smason
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smason View Post
There are 5 or 6 of us FPVing at our field here in Coquitlam. I bet there are some great places to FPV around Summerland eh!

Here's one of my flights at our field. Had a problem with the radio at one point, going to switch to Dragon Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5AOF5Q4YNs
What are you running for Radio? I've got a boosted DX8 right now, got about 3km range, but i'm waiting for my dragon link to come in so i can have a good 10km minimum.

P.S. Summerland area is nice, lots of good places out here to fly without worrying about people or houses. I have family in coquitlam, beautiful place but a bit crowded
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
Aerial Photography
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Jun 2012
103 Posts
FPV in BC during the winter is next to none. Ask me how I know. Can't do it in the evening because too dark, can't do it any other day because raining. Although it is awesome when you get a dry day AND you don't work, but the sky is cloudy so no nice videos. Anyways, here in BC with my multi doing aerial photography and video with FPV.

Can't wait for the mountains to open, love snowboarding. Maybe I can combine my 2 hobbies, FPV on the mountain with snow? Ha, would make an awesome panorama. Vancouver looks beautiful from up there.
kdrcguy is offline Find More Posts by kdrcguy
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:27 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdrcguy View Post
FPV in BC during the winter is next to none. Ask me how I know. Can't do it in the evening because too dark, can't do it any other day because raining. Although it is awesome when you get a dry day AND you don't work, but the sky is cloudy so no nice videos. Anyways, here in BC with my multi doing aerial photography and video with FPV.

Can't wait for the mountains to open, love snowboarding. Maybe I can combine my 2 hobbies, FPV on the mountain with snow? Ha, would make an awesome panorama. Vancouver looks beautiful from up there.
I hear ya, it's tough with the constant grey and rain. I'm lucky, i run my own shop so i can buggar off during the day if it happens to be a nice day, which i have been known to do on occasion =)

I'm doing a test flight to 1km altitude this saturday, will post the video, whether it results in tears, or not =) It won't, i just always assume the worst
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:28 AM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
For radio I've just been using a standard Aurora 9 with an optima 7 receiver. I would normally get much more range. I'm guessing that the video transmitter is affecting the radio.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,029 Posts
oh ye of little faith!

Have been flying the heck out of 'er this winte. In the dark even!

it is a rush

this was an hour after sunset with a low light lens here in Victoria

2nd FPV night flight (8 min 10 sec)

this was 2 nights ago late at night

Skysurfer takes on the Forces of Darkness silent version (0 min 0 sec)

fly at night, man. The sky has pretty much no small planes or commercial seaplanes flying. and you can see the larger commercial planes a 100x easier with their strobe lights. The strobe I have on my plane also makes it easier o pick out a mile away.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:33 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
For radio I've just been using a standard Aurora 9 with an optima 7 receiver. I would normally get much more range. I'm guessing that the video transmitter is affecting the radio.
could be, without the booster best i could hope for with the spektrum and a full range receiver is maybe 1km. You weren't out that far. What frequency is your video tx?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:34 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
oh ye of little faith!

Have been flying the heck out of 'er this winte. In the dark even!

it is a rush

this was an hour after sunset with a low light lens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=260Bw6vlALw

this was 2 nights ago late at night

fly at night, man. The sky has pretty much no small planes or commercial seaplanes flying. and you can see the larger commercial planes a 100x easier with their strobe lights. The strobe I have on my plane also makes it easier o pick out a mile away.
I don't think i have the guts to do night flying just yet! I'll get there... just wait
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:36 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Here's a quick vid from last weekend, got my bixler (aka sky surfer) up to 620m altitude via my HK video goggles, was awesome.

Bixler FPV 620m flight (3 min 22 sec)

Just fast forward to 1m10s in the video to get the good view.

This saturday i'm reorientating my antennas and going for a full KM in altitude =)
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:39 AM
Quadfather
Coquitlam, BC
Joined Sep 2009
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by polix View Post
could be, without the booster best i could hope for with the spektrum and a full range receiver is maybe 1km. You weren't out that far. What frequency is your video tx?
Its 5.8, but I'm in the process of switching to 1.2. I think it'll be fine when I'm using the Dragon Link.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
Crashaffinity on youtube
Joined Nov 2012
2,950 Posts
Quote:
Its 5.8, but I'm in the process of switching to 1.2. I think it'll be fine when I'm using the Dragon Link.
hmmm, i'm using 5.8 as well, no interference with my spektrum, though keep in mind i have the signal boosted from 100mw to 1 full watt.

Switching to dragonlink in 2 weeks when it comes in.
RCG Plus Member