HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by PittSpecial, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:35 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,446 Posts
Alert
Monitor AMP Draw from all control surfaces!!

Lessons Learned:

I highly recommend to check the AMP draw of the combined servo duty current draw and look out for higher than normal AMP draws. This is useful to detect a servo going bad and as in my case a Push Rod with a sleeve getting hung on the wire! All of which has the potential in losing your model (Crash).

I will be using my Watt Meter.
================================================== ========

Okay guys!

SUMMARY:

My model has crashed twice citing RF loss (Spektrum AR500). I have investigated and found the possible reason!!! Can you believe that the Nose Wheel Steering Rod / Sleeve was not allowing the servo to move!! The Sleeve was getting hung on the metal rod itself like someone taking a HOT Hair Blower and heat shrinking the sleeve material! Of course that is just describing how it felt when I took off the Push Rod from the Servo and tried to push it myself by hand.

I bought the model used so, no telling...

Anyway, I looked in my hobby drawer and found a Park Zone Replacement for the Elevator and cut to size for Nose Wheel Steering duty and all is fine now!!

However, my thoughts are that the BEC on board the Stock Switch Mode 30-AMP E-Flite ESC got overheated as a result from holding Full Right Rudder to perform Knife Edges and Bang, lower Voltage or Brown out and lost RF!

Okay a few pictures!

Taking no chances, I opened up a brand new AR600 and it is working perfect! I will however, place the old AR500 in my Slow Stick and Observe it closely for any RF faults and which I seriously doubt I will have any issues.

Business end:

Oh, my work with the Stock Motor!

FLIGHT SUMMARY:
This morning my model flew for the normal 7 minute flight and did not notice the bearing noise that much since it is at the lower RPMs.

The model performed flawlessly and those Knife Edges all around the field was spectacular as usual. No brown outs or loss of RF!

The landings (A few Touch & Goes) were completely successful and no issues with the Nose Wheel Steering.

I will monitor the motor bearing issue closely...
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts