HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:25 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
Discussion
53qd Rudder issue

all of the sudden my rudder dont seem to work..while stationary i can see the blades bareley moving side to side..when in flight i cant make it fly side to side ...please help me
Thrasher66 is offline Find More Posts by Thrasher66
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
bump
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:42 AM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
2,383 Posts
What's your rudder not doing, holding?

Your post kinda seems to say your rudder doesn't work but it does.

Did you change anything recently on the heli?
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:07 AM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
well i didnt change anything while flying it does not want to flight sideways..do u think the servo went bad?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Mar 2012
2,383 Posts
I'm having a hard time fully understanding. So, on the ground (or bench) your rudder seems to work back and forth, and in the air it DOES move the tail back and forth, and also in the air the tail actually holds... you just don't seem to have rudder movement to one side? or what?

Sorry, my bad, I'm not understanding the problem exactly. I would try a different servo if you have one, I've had a similar problem with a piece of junk servo that was about to die.

Also, go back through your tail setup (including checking your gyro's endpoints or limits). Double check your rudder end points on your transmitter too. Are your familiar with doing tail setups?
Old Dec 02, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Nov 2012
4 Posts
the movement im reffering is the one the makes it fly sideways..its the rudder?
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:35 AM
Axes & Blades-Cutlery & Helis
West Monroe NY
Joined Feb 2009
3,396 Posts
It is not clear what you are speaking, to fly sideways you use the cyclic servos, move the aileron to the right ahd you fly right sideways, left....same thing. The rudder moves the tail around the verticle axis. If you don't have video, you have to be VERY clear in your explaination.
ewoodcox is offline Find More Posts by ewoodcox
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
Joined Mar 2012
2,383 Posts
dude, the name you made this thread is 'rudder issue', and you talked about you rudder. And in a sense, relatively, the rudder does move side to side.

But still then, are you getting cyclic control on the ground but not in the air. On the ground do you have aileron control on both sides? If so, but it doesn't work in the air, it could even be that the servo seems to work until a load is put on it. Maybe a weak servo motor. Does the servo smell burnt? I have some 9g servos i used for a rudder until each one got looser and looser (holding the tail), and eventually gave out, they still seem to work fine on the bench but wouldn't hold in flight. They smelled burnt too.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 07:44 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
621 Posts
The cyclic moves the helicopter right/left and forward/back. The collective control changes the pitch of the main blades in unison thus providing up/down.

The other control is the anti torque control (pedals in a full size helicopter) which YAWS the nose of the heli right or left in a circular motion about the vertical axis (main shaft) of the heli.

We need to stop calling helicopter controls by airplane names, which causes some confusion to new flyers. There are not very many helicopters that have elevators (Blackhawk is one I can think of) and I don't think there are any that have ailerons. For that matter I can't think of any helicopters that has a rudder present.

That said you probably have a servo or maybe two servos that are sending you a subtle message that they are giving out on ya.

Tie the heli down and spool it up, give it right/left commands and see if you get swash plate deflection. You don't need to go full power and don't keep it there for long. 3-5 seconds should give you a good test to see if the servos are working under load. Prolonged testing with it tethered under load would not be good for your heli. A few seconds will not hurt it.

RWW
whitehedr is online now Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 04, 2012, 08:06 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
53QD is a coaxial, so there is no rudder.

It's pretty clear the guy is new and doesn't know names yet. Patience is still a virtue.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Dec 04, 2012, 11:26 PM
Retired Old Guy
United States, IL, New Lenox
Joined Jan 2012
621 Posts
Karlik, I don't disagree that the OP is new. Part of my post I was just trying to point out that we as a community need to do a better job of talking about rotor craft. There was some confusion in early posts about what was really happening that would have probably not happened if we as a community called out controls by their correct names and functions.

I did not know that the 53qd was a coaxial rotorcraft. I should have researched that before I posted. My response on how to check for swash deflection would have been different. I apologize to the OP for not doing proper research. Major Lesson Learned by me.

I am not sure how much left/right cyclic authority that particular machine has. The OP should still be able to conduct the test I suggested and see if he is getting any cyclic deflection when he gives righ/left commands.

He should be able to do the test while hand holding it as long as caution is observed with the blades. I had CX2 for a while and fond swash separation by holding it and watching what was going on as I varied power levels. Heck, that might be his problem.

I will say that after I read your previous post and looked the 53qd up I found it to be a pretty neat looking machine. About the same price as the CX2. I hope the OP figures out what the problem is and gets it flying correctly.

RWW
whitehedr is online now Find More Posts by whitehedr
Old Dec 05, 2012, 12:00 AM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehedr View Post
Karlik, I don't disagree that the OP is new. Part of my post I was just trying to point out that we as a community need to do a better job of talking about rotor craft.
RWW
I agree with what you said, part of helping people is educating so pointing out that a rudder isn't the same as a tail rotor is part of that, even if the rotor is plugged into what us long time plank fliers still call the rudder channel (and I get corrected all the time). And even more confusing is that on all the 3 1/2 channel toys what the user will almost always call the tail rotor is actually the elevator.

On a coax I think your test is almost the only he can try? I can't think of anything else. And I can only think of a few things that would cause the problem - bad servo, loose, binding, or broken linkage.

Thrasher - If you have a local hobby shop, you might take it in and just ask if they see the problem. A good hobby shop may not always be able to help, but they are almost always willing to take a quick look. And if you do, take the transmitter along.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik