Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:17 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
MiG-15 by Kamdax

Kamdax has a MiG-15 for glow power:

www.kamdax.com

I saw the thing at my LHS and it looked ok. Comes with a big chunk of steel and aluminum that I can't tell what it's for .

Anyhow if you like foam you can buy the Mig-15 by itself at Tower for about $63 incl canopy, decals, lg etc . Just add up and select all the parts as spares:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=KDXA0203&P=Z

I won't get it myself as I already have two great flying FG MiG-15's....
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
Got it now where is the T shirt

Working on it as we speak. I have two one white & one sliver. Installing Wattage fan with Astro 020 brushless. Going to use a TP2100 pack. I like becuase it has wheels and I taxi out for take off.
Bob
bruff is online now Find More Posts by bruff
Old Dec 11, 2003, 07:54 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
is this one to small for the toki unit? I still need to find something to put mine in, and i really don't like the look of the DJ-1, 2 and 3

ryan d.
ryan d. is offline Find More Posts by ryan d.
Old Dec 11, 2003, 08:41 PM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,935 Posts
It's a smaller fan unit than the 90 mm Toki, comes with a .080, don't know the diameter but smaller than 90. The Wattage that Bruff is using is a 2.5" diameter.

Just checked Tower's site, they say the unit tapers down to 3 inches, making it Kyosho fan sized.
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Dec 11, 2003, 11:03 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The glow fan is 80mm in diameter, I had two of these planes, they fly GREAT with the ICDF unit, loved them. Thanks for the tower tip, I was about to order the airframe parts I need directly from Hong Kong, it would have been double the price. Check out kamdax.com, they have a mirage and a 777 on the way...
easytiger is offline Find More Posts by easytiger
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:07 AM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
yeh I figured they were smaller, oh well, one of these days i will find something to put my toki in,

It looks like they fly good. I might have to pick one up and slap a MF in it.

ryan d.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:40 AM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
... The price I quoted must have been for the unpainted (white) parts. Btw if you ehem slam it into the ground you just go and buy another wing or whatever.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
Old Dec 12, 2003, 09:04 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The silver parts are a little more, but still a bargain. Having the wreckage of two of these, plus a third fan unitl I got from bob ruff, all I need is some wings and fuse to get airborne again, it's less than $50. Thanks!

Ryan, you will find that it is very difficult to size a plane for the Toki unit...I think your F84 is too large. I have flown ALL of the designs for toki out there except the Oakdale F35, so speak from some experience. It's an efficient unit, but a tough size. They are working on a higher-powered version.
I would look at the F35 if I were you.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 12:50 PM
dallas,tx
Joined Feb 2002
731 Posts
Easytiger,

I would agree about the f-84, it is definatly to big for the toki, but it will be getting the midi anyway.

I do have a design for the Toki in CAD, it's a eurofighter, but that's on the back burner right now, plus I'm still working on the file. I will find something to put it in, I'm more into scratch building than buying kits, right now.

ryan d.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 07:12 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
Scratch building is a GOOD THING, as Martha Stewart would say...

I think the midifan handily outpowers the toki, with the right motor. People are spinning their midifans up to 35k and more, the toki will only do 25k.
Don't get me wrong, the toki is interesting and reliable and pretty light, but it's just a little too large in diameter for the amount of power it puts out, which makes it tough to design an aircraft around it. If you can essentially wrap the airframe around it, and come in a three pounds, you will really have something. Looks like the F35 is just that. I am waiting on the fiberglass version of it to come out.
You F84 should be great with midifan. One of my favorite aircraft, too. I have a Hawk 1.48 scale chrome plated one on my desk in front of me.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 07:15 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The KAMDAX, on the other hand, is an altogether more useful unit. The entire unit is self-contained...engine, throttle servo, fuel tank...the only connections between the fan unit and the airframe are two mounting screws and a servo wire for the throttle. So, anything that can fit an 80mm fan will do it. And it's LIGHT. It puts out perhaps a pound of thrust, I have not measured it. But you are in a very different weight class, you can build really small planes for it.
The mig 15 is clever as heck in all respects, has a lot of thoughtful, lightweight, practical engineering. 10 out of 10 for that model.
Old Dec 12, 2003, 08:46 PM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
In regards to the landing gear, how much aircraft weight does it look like they could stand. I see atleast 16 oz by the weight of the mig. They would look pretty good on several planes.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Dec 12, 2003, 09:13 PM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
It could cetainly handle a bit more, no sweat. One of my migs was at 19 ounces, gear strength was not an issue. The struts are not actually articulated shock absorbing, they just look that way. The real shock absorption comes from the tires, which are a special soft compound that makes me look like a better pilot than I am. This landing gear is soooo clever, and I have two sets, have been thinking the same thing as you, just have not found the right subject yet. I would guess that any airplane up to 24 ounces would be great.
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:18 AM
"Bible Thumper"
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2001
1,924 Posts
I emailed them to see if they would sell me a set of gear from the 777 for my Sonic Liner, I haven't received a response. I like the Mirage gear alot too, with the dual from tires.
AMTJIM is offline Find More Posts by AMTJIM
Old Dec 13, 2003, 11:25 AM
Permanently Banned
Joined May 2001
3,816 Posts
The 777 is not out yet, no parts exist to sell you. It will be a while. I love that mirage! I get one first, before anybody else, direct from HK, because I am a real pest! But it has been delayed a few times, they are still working on it.
Nice people to deal with.