HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:06 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Oct 2012
50 Posts
Help!
Anyone do CAD drawings for others?

I need to find someone who can turn several of my drawings into CAD drawings.

Preferably in the Houston area with TurboCad.

Thanks.
bayou_city_boy is offline Find More Posts by bayou_city_boy
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:55 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
Might help if we know, if this is a simple drawing of a part, or something complicated.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:42 PM
Reduce the drama...
USA, OR, Damascus
Joined Apr 2004
4,043 Posts
2s, 3d?
It takes me 20 to 30 hours to reproduce a pdf airplane plan.
Is this for the hobby or for profit?
rick.benjamin is offline Find More Posts by rick.benjamin
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:30 PM
Joined Oct 2012
50 Posts
I have hand drawn plans that I would like to convert to CAD. I am trying to design a couple of easy to build control line airplanes to teach Boy Scouts how to scratch build.

just need 2D plans.

They are 18" wingspan using Cox .049 engines. Mostly 1/8" balsa sides with carved 1/4" balsa tops and bottoms.

Will print out on 11x17 paper with wings split in half.

I am thinking about using the solid balsa 1/8" airfoil sheets for the wings for strength. No wing to build. Just glue to pieces together top and bottom for a symmetrical airfoil.

I would like to get brought up to speed on TurboCad if anyone in Houston is using it. I used Cadvance and AutoCad in the past to design x-ray rooms but it's been a while.

Don
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:10 PM
Joined Oct 2012
50 Posts
Also I don't mind paying for help as long as the cost is reasonable.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 02:28 PM
Whitchurch,Shropshire. UK
Joined Jul 2008
1,180 Posts
Can you scan your hand drawn drawings and attach them to a post ?
And what sort of time scale are you thinking about ?
Fubar 123 is offline Find More Posts by Fubar 123
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
I'd be willing to do one of them. I have more free time in the winter.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Oct 2012
50 Posts
Rough draft

This is my first draft. The final draft will be cleaner. Wingspan is 18" and length is 16".

The wing airfoil shown is an idea of a high lift wing with high drag to keep the speed down. I'm thinking the thinner solid wing would allow the plane to fly too fast for beginners.

I will be experimenting with 2 solid 1/4" balsa airfoil planks glued bottom to bottom with and extra 1/8" sheet between them to thicken the wing up. But that means a lot more sanding and weight.

Everything but the wing is 1/8" balsa for strength. I want to use laminated 1/8" sheet for the upper and lower forward fuselage for strength.

If I go with the built up wing it will be 1/16" ribs, 1/8" upper and lower spars and 1/16" leading edge sheeting with 1/16" trailing edge.

The engine will be basic Cox .049 with a back plate mount and 1 oz fuel tank. I am thinking a TD will be too fast for beginners.

I am open to suggestions to improve the design also but don't make fun of the old drafting rule and velum paper! That's what us ole' schooler's cut our teeth on and what they used to designed the space shuttle with!
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:22 AM
Joined Jan 2011
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayou_city_boy View Post
I am open to suggestions to improve the design also but don't make fun of the old drafting rule and velum paper! That's what us ole' schooler's cut our teeth on and what they used to designed the space shuttle with!
Hey they still teach on velum, even though CAD is whats prevalent. You learn a lot of neat techniques that translate into using software, its just easier with software. I was actually looking for all of my drafting tools from when I was in school today, was saddened when I couldn't find them. I'm gonna have to pick up a few basic things (compass, rule, french curve, various triangles) its fun sometimes to just draw something. I think my favorite was doing perspective drawings in school. Tough to pull off right, now with 3d modeling its as simple as a couple clicks.
SRWitt is offline Find More Posts by SRWitt
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:30 AM
Joined Oct 2012
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRWitt View Post
I think my favorite was doing perspective drawings in school.
Loved perspectives. Even took some art classes to help! I have done a lot of CAD dwgs in the past but it just isn't the same as with good ole' lead!
Old Dec 08, 2012, 03:10 AM
MB326 Dino Driver
Newcastle, NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2006
80 Posts
Pilot Plans?

G'day,
Just found this thread and thought I would jump in ,.. I was wondfering if anyone would be interested in doing some Pilot plans?,.. I don't have the skills, for CAD, nor a CAD program,.. but if anyone is interested in putting some old Pilot kits into CAD I could either post up, or send some plans, they are in PDF format,.. I am not looking at selling them,.just wanting to relive my old days and get some pilot kits going, and more so,.. share some good plans,..

Jeremy
Macchi326Driver is offline Find More Posts by Macchi326Driver
Old Dec 08, 2012, 04:41 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,121 Posts
How complicated are they. I don't have much time, but could probably do some.
Old Dec 09, 2012, 10:18 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1 Posts
I use 3d modeling software for a living. I would be willing to produce 2d drawings as well as any any custom parts you might need. I have done a lot of motor mounts and custom tools on an FDM machine I have access to. So I'd be willing to help out anyway I can just pm me and we can work something out.
Pipercubohio is offline Find More Posts by Pipercubohio
Old Dec 18, 2012, 12:07 PM
Misfit Multirotor Monkey
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Mar 2011
1,290 Posts
I've been doing AutoCad for 20 years and have found, almost without fail, most people unfamiliar to the skill are stunned at the ultimate cost to produce a fairly average complexity drawing. A drawing that takes 3 hours can justifiably range in price from $50 to $300, depending on how hungry the individual is doing the work.
Cyberdactyl is offline Find More Posts by Cyberdactyl
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:26 PM
Living to Build'em and Fly'em.
Joined Jul 2011
62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdactyl View Post
I've been doing AutoCad for 20 years and have found, almost without fail, most people unfamiliar to the skill are stunned at the ultimate cost to produce a fairly average complexity drawing. A drawing that takes 3 hours can justifiably range in price from $50 to $300, depending on how hungry the individual is doing the work.
And then there are those (myself included) that know just enough about AUTOCAD that enjoy doing it when it concerns RC Aircraft, to do it for free.
I've been converting all of my blueprints to CAD, including the laser cutting layouts, so that they are easy to get into.
All of the ribs are correct, because I design the wings in Compufoil3d, so that the jig holes, lighting holes and such are always dead on.
Mr.GFC is offline Find More Posts by Mr.GFC