Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Discussion
What should be my next plane?

I have these heli/planes:
1) V911 Heli - Have been able to fly ok
2) Wild Hawk airplane - No success in flying
3) Champ - Have flown successfully, but NOT after fixes to broken parts - probably due to weight and mis-aligned parts
4) SU-26 Broke prop shaft on first flight - waiting for parts - Maybe was too fast and my inability to use the ailerons properly.

I liked the Champ in that I could fly it and only required small space. The Wild Hawk was much bigger and appeared to require a larger space to fly.

I think I want a plane of about the 35 inch size, and I feel that my next one s/b with ailerons, but I could be wrong! I like the idea that with these size planes, at least I can see the parts and use screws, etc instead of just glue!
So, what do you think? My desires in a plane, besides above, is to be able to fly, do some aerobatics and preferably in small park.

Also, with 4+ transmitters on hand now, should I go for a set transmitter now? If so, would the DX6i or the FS-TH9X be the one for me? Note that I am leery of having to do a lot of work setting the transmitter up.

Thx.
P.S. Yes…….. I am a RC addict now.
Bob6831 is offline Find More Posts by Bob6831
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:42 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
I would say if you are addicted, buy the best transmitter you can afford. Personally I went Specktrum because of the handy bind and fly planes, cheap orange rx for little foamies, and I really like the power safe receivers for giant scale.

For a 4 channel trainer, I really like the Apprentice. It is remarkably tough, all parts are available at reasonable prices, long flight times, and it flies very well. It does basic aerobatics well for a high wing plane, and it is a blast to fly on floats.

I'd consider it too big to park fly though.
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD
Old Nov 29, 2012, 03:14 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
How successfully have you flown the Champ? If you can't fly or land the Champ without crashing, then you are not ready to move up to an aileron equipped plane without help. The Apprentice is great and so is the Flyzone Sensei provided you have the assistance of an instructor or club. I have started to recommend the Ares Gamma 370 as a nice, low cost high wing trainer that can easily be upgraded to aileron equipped and brushless system for very little money. That is, once you learn to fly it well. It along with some of the Hobbyzone trainers like the Super Cub and Firebird Stratos will help you learn to fly well and progress.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:15 AM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
I have successfully flown and landed the Champ. Only had problems when I got a little careless and/or tried to fly it in heavier wind AND after did some repairs which made it quite a bit heavier and out of alignment somewhat.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:52 AM
United States, NY, Center Moriches
Joined Feb 2012
157 Posts
The answer here is the same as the thread you posted the other day. Learn to fly the champ in wind then your ready to move on. Buy the parts to fix it. The answer doesn't change because a few days pass and you re-word the title of the post.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1775846
John S. is offline Find More Posts by John S.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:57 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Yes, I hear you and I will be flying my Champ as soon as I get my new tail feathers (in the mail).
But I am chomping at the bit for a ~30 inch size plane to fly.
I am looking at a J3 Cub...... but only like the price-looks-tail section of some of the J3s I see. OR the ICANFly plane I see at Nitroplanes for $100. Which is preferable?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 06:54 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
If I were you I'd stick with a major brand. Being able to obtain replacement parts easily is a big plus, especially when still relatively new to flying.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Ok........ so is Nitroplanes a major brand?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 07:56 PM
Actively makin humans obsolete
Northern Virginia
Joined Jul 2007
771 Posts
Nitroplanes isn't reliable for parts/availability, they go out of stock on many things and you can never tell when they will re-stock.

Note that the ICANFly at Nitroplanes is also out of stock
Razor_Racer is offline Find More Posts by Razor_Racer
Old Dec 01, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
344 Posts
Ok........ so what are the good places to buy?
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:38 PM
United States, NM, Las Cruces
Joined Jul 2012
511 Posts
Horizon Hobby, Hobby Zone...
erikc641 is offline Find More Posts by erikc641
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:39 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,247 Posts
Or tower hobby.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:17 PM
United States, NC, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
699 Posts
The bigger the plane, the harder the crash. The little UM planes such as the Champ are so light they tend survive a crash much better than a bigger, heavier plane. The Parkzone UM T-28 is a great step up from the Champ, has ailerons, is a lot of fun to fly, and can easily be flown in a smaller area. Once you have mastered it then you would be ready to move up to a larger plane with a much better chance of it surviving.
ForsheeMS is offline Find More Posts by ForsheeMS
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:26 PM
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Apr 2011
4,755 Posts
I say again Ares Gamma 370. $79.99 Rx-R. Available at Hobby Town.
chucksolo69 is offline Find More Posts by chucksolo69
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,947 Posts
What Chuck said. Lighter than a Super Cub. Larger than a Champ. Tons of options no other learner airplane has PLUS the best price of any of them. Just the fact that it has a steerable tailwheel speaks to the quality there. It's a new day and the Champ is no longer top dog.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins