Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:22 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Build Log
Hacker Fly - F1H/A1 glider

Hi folks,

I had been wanting to relive my youth with a small free flight glider, not many kits about in the UK and the few remaining Keil Kraft Caprices and Chief kits etc are being bought for silly prices by collectors.

I spied a 'Hacker Fly' on eBay but missed out but I wondered if I could get a new one? The answer is yes as they are still produced.

Problem is that there were none in the UK, so I contacted the Hacker distributor and they kindly agreed to import some (they needed to make a minimum order of five I think).

Must give a plug to Area51 for excellent service, communication and super packaging of the kit.

The glider is shown on the Hacker website but not much detail is given (I like to see what's in the box!) so I've taken some photos of the box contents for anyone else who might be thinking of getting one.

It's small enough to be built indoors which is my plan for this winter, not sure when I'm going to start, hopefully soon.

Cheers

Gary
Gary Binnie is offline Find More Posts by Gary Binnie
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:34 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Nice little plane. Thanks for posting. I will try to bay it here in Germany.

Heinz
hastf1b is offline Find More Posts by hastf1b
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:06 PM
SB-28 UK Display Pilot
ENGLAND
Joined Jul 2001
2,439 Posts
So you are not tempted to fit one really, really small servo and lipo and Rx then???
Just asking as since my daughter moved back in I am also reduced to lap-top modelling....Grrrrr
GeeW is offline Find More Posts by GeeW
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:12 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Hallo Heinz, wie geht's?!!

Ich habe in Deutschland gewohnt zeit weck aber leider jetzt hab ich die sprache meistens vergessen!

Should be easy to find or order in Germany.

I should add a few little details, this glider has an auto rudder and a choice of either a fuse or clockwork dethermaliser. There is also a drawing for what I think is a circle tow hook. I will be fun flying only so won't need this (apart from not understanding how it works!!).

Have made a start on the tailplane as I was itching to get building, some tiny problems but it's going well. Will post some photos later.

GB
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:15 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Hi Gee, didn't see your post lurking there!!

Nah, free flight, I like to go for long walks!

Are you going to the trade fair this weekend?
Old Nov 29, 2012, 02:31 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Hallo Gary, das ist ja ein netter Zufall das du in Deutschland gewohnt hast. In welcher Stadt hast du gewohnt?

I make free flight since 1956 until today, however, in the class F1B.
I started with A1. I enclose a picture from 1957 with my own design A1. (In the middle)

Heinz
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Sehr schoen, (leider gibt kein umlaut auf meinem apparat!)

Ich habe in Erkelenz (Kreis Heinsberg) gewohnt, nah die Niederlande grenz. Oft mals haben wir (mir und mein familie) urlaub im Schwarzwald gemacht in ein bauernhof, fantastisch aber pass auf wenn viel Schwetzgenwasser kommt!

Oooh! I didn't know it was still in there!

Sorry folks, should post some pictures while it's fresh, I'll get to it!
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:26 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Making a start

I sneaked my small building board into the house and didn't meet much resistance from the 'management'!

The instructions say to start with building the forward fuselage so in my usual style I've started with the tailplane! It's step 12 and it says 'build the tailplane like the wings', I haven't built the wings but I thought I would give it a try.

All the tail parts (including the fin and rudder) are in one bag, opened it up and checked it was all there, I found an extra rib which had me worried, wonder if they include spares for foul ups?!!

There is a parts list including strip wood, have to be a little bit careful as there is similar sized hardwood strip which must be for the wings. All the parts are numbered on the plan but not on the parts, I don't think there's much risk of confusion though (we'll see!).

The tailplane centre is two 9 mm thick ribs glued together, some glue needed to be sanded off, the spar slots have been routed which has left round corners, just needs tidying with a file. A bigger problem with this piece is that it was much thinner than the ribs, I fixed that by adding 0.8 mm balsa to the flat undersurface.

The ribs are very nice with square spar notches that need no attention, they did vary in thickness strangely? Trailing edge is right angle triangle stock, good again, just needed slots filing for the rib tails (there is a sketch on the plan showing how to do this with a file)

The leading edge is pre-shaped (quite soft grade balsa) and the three spars are good.

A Hacker feature is their laminated tip bows (I built their CO2 Tiger Moth before), supplied overlength, trimming them is a one-shot operation so I will be careful! They join the leading edge through a scarf joint, probably the only tricky part of the tailplane build.

All good so far!

GB
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:00 AM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Hi Gary, nice pictures. A small note. The pins do not sting through the wood. The illustration shows how to avoid this.
1. Bouldigboard
2. Leading-or Trealing edge
3. A piece of Balsastrip
4. Pins

Heinz

(Erkelenz ist nicht sehr weit von meinem Wohnort entfernt. Ich fahre öfter nach Holland zum Wettbewerb.)
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:26 AM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
That is a very clever tip, thanks very much.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 03:41 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Good progress today, the tailplane is finished and I've mostly done the fuselage.

I've opted to fit a KSB dethermaliser timer, I know my dad bought it new in 1977 but it was never used. There is a hole pre-cut for it in the centre ply fuselage, not quite big enough but a quick whizz with Dremel got it fitting nicely.

The rear fuselage has tapered spruce sides, boxed top and bottom with non-tapering 12 mm balsa. I took some care to keep it straight but despite that it's off to one side very slightly.

There is a later step to cut a slot for the fin, I thought it was much easier to cut the slot before gluing the top on.

Some sanding, fit the root ribs and tow hook then it will be on to the wings.

Lovely kit!

GB
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:02 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
Everything looks really good, the kit and your work.
I ordered a kit in Czechoslovakia, I hope this goes well.

Heinz
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:19 PM
F1B is ok.
Monheim am Rhein Germany
Joined Jul 2008
476 Posts
If you remove the housing, you can with a pencil mark the exact contours.

Heinz
Old Nov 30, 2012, 08:32 PM
United States, OR, Corvallis
Joined Jan 2010
931 Posts
Cool Plane!

Hey Gary!

Funny you are building this as I went to some freeflight competitions held near where I live sponsored by a freeflight modeler's club (Willamette Valley Modeler's). It was all pretty cool stuff but being an RC woodie thermal glider sort, the Nordic type towline and circle tow gliders appealed to me the most. At one event, some guy had a box of old freeflight kits, the one and only glider kit was an old "Dragmaster" from the Model Maker company back in the late 70's/early 80's? It didn't have the plans but did have the instructions so for $15.00 I figured I could either figure it out and build it, or study it and figure out how to build something similar(and a LOT sturdier in the wings) or just keep a cool old vintage kit.

Looking at what you have going there, I may look into getting one. Or just scratch-build something like it.

Staying tuned - Thanks, Paul
Pauliwog is offline Find More Posts by Pauliwog
Old Dec 01, 2012, 04:30 PM
Late for work again!
Northampton, England
Joined May 2004
1,802 Posts
Another great tip Heinz, would never have thought to take the cover off!

I don't think you would go far wrong with one of these Paul, the wing structure looks very strong with spruce spars and spar webs. I like to scratch build but having all the parts cut and all materials provided saves a few trips to the model shop!

I'm not sure but the tissue might be Polyspan or something similar, looks different to paper that I've used before.