Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:40 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Mini-Review
The MJX F47 review

The MJX F47 Review

Introduction
Ever since I reviewed the MJX X100, the quality of MJX products have left quite a good impression with me. So when the flybarred F47 became available, I was more than happy to review it. With the price of 49.43 USD, it is certainly a viable alternative to the very popular V911.
Hopefully this will be a very insightful review into the various features and flight performance of this 45 degree flybarred heli.

From the box
The RTF package includes the following:
1x MJX F47 FP helicopter
1x 2.4GHz 4 channel TX with LCD Screen (Mode 1-4)
2x 3.7V 380mAh batteries
1x USB Charger
1x Spare set of main blades
1x Spare rear rotor
1x Spare rotor linkage
1x Instruction manual and warranty card

Airframe features
The F47 features a lot of improvements over comparable helicopters like the WLToys V911. These were supposed to be included the Benma Helios 100 but weren't. So I'm very happy to see that MJX took the initiative to include these improvements into the design of the F47. I really like the choice of material, it feels comparatively better in build quality as well.
These features include:
- Independent servos
- Plugs for the main motor and both servos (unfortunately not for the rear motor)
- All components held by screws instead of glued in
- Narrow chord rotor (similar to FBL FP rotors)
- Easy and straight forward maintenance (there are even holes for screwdriver access)
- Walkera-compatible batteries/battery plugs
- Metal main shaft
- N20 Main motor

Transmitter features
The included “GR146” transmitter is a 4 channel unit with easily switchable sticks and modes, meaning that the user does not need to specify which flight mode configuration they are used to. Case design wise, the GR146 is exactly the same as the 4 channel unit bundled with the X100 quadcopter; some differences though: apparently they use independent protocols from each other because I cannot bind the X100 to the GR146 or the MJX F47 to the GR146 transmitter (WHYYYYYYY?!?!). Another difference is that the GR146 transmitter has an LCD screen that shows stick mode, flight mode, throttle position and trim. The final difference that I could find is that there is a red “camera” button on the top right hand corner of the transmitter. Oh and for the beginners, there is the throttle limiter like those found on other MJX units.

Flight performance

After charging the 3.7V 380 mAh battery with the USB charger (takes around 70 minutes according to the manual...butI didn't time it), I plugged in the battery, bound the heli to the transmitter and started the flight test.

Stock flight performance
Under the stock configuration with low rates, the MJX needs a little bit of aileron and elevator trim to maintain a stable, hands off hover. I tried pumping the throttle a bit, and the tail holds exceptionally well. But that's about all it does under low rates; aileron and elevator responses were crisp but it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere in a hurry.
I've found that if I wanted to turn it more than say, 90 degrees..the F47 would want to roll or pitch on its own. Aileron and elevator inputs are necessary in order to maintain flight, which is pretty consistent with the feel of a FBL FP instead of the 45 degree flybarred design of the F47's head.
With high rates, the F47 is a little bit better in terms of aileron/elevator response. Again, the same roll and pitch behavior appeared with more aggressive rudder inputs. It takes some getting used to, but the behavior is similar to something between a traditional 45 degree flybarred FP heli and a FBL FP.

To improve the overall performance, I moved the pushrods to the outer hole on the servo arm. It feels much more responsive this way and flying indoors with low rates was pretty easy to do as well. Outdoors (in wind) the F47 still suffers a lot from ballooning, flybar strikes and a general lack of control; I would not recommend flying the F47 outdoors even on high rates, it just doesn't have the servo throw to get itself through the wind. If you are really looking for an affordable outdoor heli, wait for the F48 (flybarless version of this heli, to be released in the future) or get a quad.

Conclusion
Again, I'm quite happy to see that a lot of the improvements we thought were important were heard. The flight characteristics are quite nice with not a lot of bad habits. Outdoors though, it is a chore trying to keep it in the air if there's any wind. Constant flybar strikes and the occasional loss of control does get annoying sometimes.The motor could be a little more efficient if it was coreless (flight time was around 8 minutes). That said, I think this is the pinnacle of flybarred micro fp birds. From now on, I think designs would lean towards FBL units even for FP birds. I like the overall quality of this great performer, the outboard servo holes would definitely need to be utilized... but it's a great little heli for indoor flights. If you are looking to fly outdoors, this probably won't be an adequate heli as it doesn't have enough servo throws in my opinion.

Thanks for reading everyone, I hope that this review is helpful for those who are interested in learning more about this heli. This review was written on November 27th, 2012 and is accurate per my findings. If you have any questions/comments, please do not hesitate to let me know either via PM or this thread. Thanks to Aaron from Banggood for providing the sample

Pros & Cons

Pros

Easy maintenance
Low price for the quality/performance
Very functional TX
Independent servos
RX plugs

Cons
Protocol change (transmitter incompatible with previous products)
Rear tail motor wires are soldered onto the RX (WHY!?!?!)
Motor efficiency could be better (if a coreless one was utilized)
May be obsolete soon as the FBL version, the F48, will be available soon
Not the best outdoor performance

Comparison pics

The MJX F47 is available at Banggood.com for the price of 49.43 USD shipped. Enter the coupon code: fb047a to receive a further 10 percent discount
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by jameschen072; Jun 05, 2013 at 02:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:31 AM
The Netherlands, UT, Nieuwegein
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
NIce review !

Soon im gonna get one of these or the F48 to fly inside. For now im flying the F45 most outside and with that in mind and this should be the "baby F45" can you give some comparison about this two ( if you have a F45 to compare to ofcourse )

I Understand allready that it have not the quick responce and the speed characteristics from his older brother, modding is one option maybe extending the servo arms and swapping the motor... I know its just came out and allready i am anticipating on things

Enjoy !
eminemin is offline Find More Posts by eminemin
Old Nov 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Different fly 4 different guy
Canada, BC, Salmon Arm
Joined Jan 2011
1,892 Posts
James - Thank you for that very informative review. I have been a long time fan of MJX but held back purchasing the F47 after my slightly disappointing experience with the x200 quad. You have now answered all of my concerns.

Firstly, there is a minor typo. The 4th photo shows N20 motor but under 'These features include' it lists N30 motor.

That aside, it looks to me like the F47 is late to the party and rather than being an upgrade, is a step backwards in functionality.

I don't understand the direction MJX is going. My x200 quad is a step backward from the x100 and I rate it below the v929. Outdoors I think the x200 will shine, but indoors it is a handful, partly because of the new tx.

They have dressed up this new transmitter with an lcd display and throttle limiter, but made it non-compatible with previous models. And IMO it is a step backwards in quality and function from the tx for the x100 and the F45.

It almost looks like maybe there was some delay in the FBL F48 so they quickly adapted it to a flybar, subtracted '1' from the model number, and shoved it out the door.

This has made my decision very easy now.

regards . . . g
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 29, 2012, 06:49 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Dec 2007
301 Posts
Thank you James for the informative review. I ordered one after reading your review. I love these 4ch helicopters and simply can't stop getting attracted by newer models. My last purchase of the solo pro 127 fbl left me very disappointed with its underwhelming performance.

On a side note, I have difficulty accessing banggood. The website kept giving me error message saying 'too many redirects'. Aaron if you are reading this, please help rectify. I had wanted to purchase stuff from your site but because of this error, I can't.
TFMeouch is offline Find More Posts by TFMeouch
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:01 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
Thanks for the comments guys,
@Eminemin and TFMeouch, The F47 is an adequate indoors heli and the flight characteristics does prepare you for a FBL FP or CP. Outdoor flight is possible under windless conditions but, as Eminemin said, it may require some modifications (I think the coreless motor mod shouldn't be too hard to do).

@Gordonzo, thanks for the catch! I really think that MJX needs to step up their game as well. I too am quite annoyed that the transmitter isn't backwards compatible...their reasoning behind this is beyond me. The F48 may be a really good heli depending on its design and software... we'll have to see!
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Based on your images and review, I'd like to offer some comments:

Long, narrow blades have higher tip speed than wider shorter blades and will provide more stability. This will make the heli somewhat less responsive. The greater tendency to roll is because this blade configuration is not as easily influenced by the flybar. Remember, this 45 head design directs movement to the head and the flybar retards it.

If you are getting 8 minute flights there's nothing to indicate the motor is inefficient. In fact, swinging those long blades requires more torque than you would get from a coreless motor with no armature.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:36 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
So changing the blades will improve responce but at the expense of the stability, Balr14 ?
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:45 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminemin View Post
So changing the blades will improve responce but at the expense of the stability, Balr14 ?
It should improve response and roll resistance. But you would lose some speed and performance. The motor might not like it either. If you want it to fly like a V911, just buy a V911.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
Actualy i want to fly like the F45 indoors but with the quick responce and speed it have, it sounds to my the baby brother F47 does not have this qualities.

I wait for the F48 and hope this is what i am hoping it is.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:52 AM
Tinkerer of makeshift failures
Joined Jun 2012
325 Posts
Eminemin, being flybarless the F48 will be even faster and more responsive, quite the opposite of an F45. Hence, ditto in Balr suggestion.
Darsh is offline Find More Posts by Darsh
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
I dont think the F45 is slow and less responsive Darsh, on the contrary for me its an fast and responsive heli
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eminemin View Post
Actualy i want to fly like the F45 indoors but with the quick responce and speed it have, it sounds to my the baby brother F47 does not have this qualities.

I wait for the F48 and hope this is what i am hoping it is.
Just as a point of reference, the F45 is probably the most muted responding heli currently made. There's no FP micro that doesn't respond much faster than an F45 and none that will feel like the F45. But, micros all have little handling quirks you have to get used to. An F48 will be no different except any flybarless heli responds instantly and directly. The jump from an F45 to an F48 will be huge and it will require considerable patience and effort to make the adjustment. With your F45, you have a chance to react to movement. That won't exist when you move up. If you are reacting, you already crashed.
Last edited by Balr14; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:37 AM
Flying a Falcon or a RC Heli.
Canada, QC, Rimouski
Joined Jul 2012
704 Posts
Banggood sells spare parts for the F47 now and they are affordable .
fauconnier is online now Find More Posts by fauconnier
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
520 Posts
I wish to throw a comment or two in here. I have a fleet of heli's and quads.
I have everything from a v911 to a f45 and the f45 is slow. There is no way around it. In addition I have the following in the blade family the mqx sr120 and the msrx. The mqx and the msrx are the most fun. Once you fly them you will find out what good control is all about. Listen to what balr14 is saying.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:40 AM
Joined Sep 2012
78 Posts
@Balr14
@freezywilly

Yes i realise that and thanx for the advice but barless is where i want to be going for the future so the F48 is a good practise heli.

Indoors i was thinking the F47 is a good replacement for the F45 but it have to have more or less the same responsive and characteristics ....

Blade is allso going treu my mind, hear good things about it
Last edited by eminemin; Nov 30, 2012 at 11:48 AM.