HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by jameschen072, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:38 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,283 Posts
Mini-Review
The MJX F47 review (Videos coming soon)

The MJX F47 Review

Introduction
Ever since I reviewed the MJX X100, the quality of MJX products have left quite a good impression with me. So the when the flybarred F47 became available, I was more than happy to review it. With the price of 49.43 USD, it is certainly a viable alternative to the very popular V911.
Hopefully this will be a very insightful review into the various features and flight performance of this 45 degree flybarred heli.

From the box
The RTF package includes the following:
1x MJX F47 FP helicopter
1x 2.4GHz 4 channel TX with LCD Screen (Mode 1-4)
2x 3.7V 380mAh batteries
1x USB Charger
1x Spare set of main blades
1x Spare rear rotor
1x Spare rotor linkage
1x Instruction manual and warranty card

Airframe features
The F47 features a lot of improvements over comparable helicopters like the WLToys V911. These were supposed to be included the Benma Helios 100 but weren't. So I'm very happy to see that MJX took the initiative to include these improvements into the design of the F47. I really like the choice of material, it feels comparatively better in build quality as well.
These features include:
- Independent servos
- Plugs for the main motor and both servos (unfortunately not for the rear motor)
- All components held by screws instead of glued in
- Narrow chord rotor (similar to FBL FP rotors)
- Easy and straight forward maintenance (there are even holes for screwdriver access)
- Walkera-compatible batteries/battery plugs
- Metal main shaft
- N30 Main motor

Transmitter features
The included “GR146” transmitter is a 4 channel unit with easily switchable sticks and modes, meaning that the user does not need to specify which flight mode configuration they are used to. Case design wise, the GR146 is exactly the same as the 4 channel unit bundled with the X100 quadcopter; some differences though: apparently they use independent protocols from each other because I cannot bind the X100 to the GR146 or the MJX F47 to the GR146 transmitter (WHYYYYYYY?!?!). Another difference is that the GR146 transmitter has an LCD screen that shows stick mode, flight mode, throttle position and trim. The final difference that I could find is that there is a red “camera” button on the top right hand corner of the transmitter. Oh and for the beginners, there is the throttle limiter like those found on other MJX units.

Flight performance

After charging the 3.7V 380 mAh battery with the USB charger (takes around 70 minutes according to the manual...butI didn't time it), I plugged in the battery, bound the heli to the transmitter and started the flight test.

Stock flight performance
Under the stock configuration with low rates, the MJX needs a little bit of aileron and elevator trim to maintain a stable, hands off hover. I tried pumping the throttle a bit, and the tail holds exceptionally well. But that's about all it does under low rates; aileron and elevator responses were crisp but it doesn't feel like it's going anywhere in a hurry.
I've found that if I wanted to turn it more than say, 90 degrees..the F47 would want to roll or pitch on its own. Aileron and elevator inputs are necessary in order to maintain flight, which is pretty consistent with the feel of a FBL FP instead of the 45 degree flybarred design of the F47's head.
With high rates, the F47 is a little bit better in terms of aileron/elevator response. Again, the same roll and pitch behavior appeared with more aggressive rudder inputs. It takes some getting used to, but the behavior is similar to something between a traditional 45 degree flybarred FP heli and a FBL FP.

To improve the overall performance, I moved the pushrods to the outer hole on the servo arm. It feels much more responsive this way and flying indoors with low rates was pretty easy to do as well. Outdoors (in wind) the F47 still suffers a lot from ballooning, flybar strikes and a general lack of control; I would not recommend flying the F47 outdoors even on high rates, it just doesn't have the servo throw to get itself through the wind. If you are really looking for an affordable outdoor heli, wait for the F48 (flybarless version of this heli, to be released in the future) or get a quad.

Conclusion
Again, I'm quite happy to see that a lot of the improvements we thought were important were heard. The flight characteristics are quite nice with not a lot of bad habits. Outdoors though, it is a chore trying to keep it in the air if there's any wind. Constant flybar strikes and the occasional loss of control does get annoying sometimes.The motor could be a little more efficient if it was coreless (flight time was around 8 minutes). That said, I think this is the pinnacle of flybarred micro fp birds. From now on, I think designs would lean towards FBL units even for FP birds. I like the overall quality of this great performer, the outboard servo holes would definitely need to be utilized... but it's a great little heli for indoor flights. If you are looking to fly outdoors, this probably won't be an adequate heli as it doesn't have enough servo throws in my opinion.

Thanks for reading everyone, I hope that this review is helpful for those who are interested in learning more about this heli. This review was written on November 27th, 2012 and is accurate per my findings. If you have any questions/comments, please do not hesitate to let me know either via PM or this thread. Thanks to Aaron from Banggood for providing the sample

Pros & Cons

Pros

Easy maintenance
Low price for the quality/performance
Very functional TX
Independent servos
RX plugs

Cons
Protocol change (transmitter incompatible with previous products)
Rear tail motor wires are soldered onto the RX (WHY!?!?!)
Motor efficiency could be better (if a coreless one was utilized)
May be obsolete soon as the FBL version, the F48, will be available soon
Not the best outdoor performance

Comparison pics

The MJX F47 is available at Banggood.com http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Mj...r-p-54602.html for the price of 49.43 USD shipped. Enter the coupon code: fb047a to receive a further 10 percent discount
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 08, 2013, 11:28 AM
RC Logger Support
United States, WV, Hurricane
Joined Jan 2010
3,154 Posts
Nice review James. Thanks for giving honest conclusions.
jlcamp7 is online now Find More Posts by jlcamp7