SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:41 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Discussion
Superscale 1/16 for square rigged rc-ships?

Some of you may have noticed what Iīve been through during the past two years with my radiocontrolled pirate galeon project.

The allready existing stuff simply didnīt want to fit together with my own imagination, with my intentions and goals I had regarding this ship.

Remaining parts of my first two attempts can be found here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1068813
Here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1357258
And here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1565371

Originally I simply wanted to agree with the beautiful SC&H R/C Square Riggers in 1/24 scale
and build my pirate galeon at the same scale. It didnīt work out for me.

Then I tried the scale of 1:20 and got jammed again after some time.

Now after an extensive research of a full years time Iīve decided to start again. Only 1.25 times bigger -> 1/16.

Why?

1) Well - first of all I was looking for realistic figures for my ship.

2) Then I was looking for realistic and scale fitting cannons for it.

3) And I was looking for frigates of the desired timeframe between 1630 and 1660.

4) I wanted to add some rc-functions which I hadnīt seen before on any other rc-square rigger.

The more I looked into the topic, the more and more I stumbled over missing or false informations and a lot of other crap.

Digging through the dirt of false informations, "said-to-beīs" and actually intentional lies of different authors of naval books, producers of "so-called" scale model ships and so forth is exhausting -
believe me.
I allmost was ready to give up completely.

But this is not my style.

So here Iīm back again with my new concept -> Superscale 1/16.
__________________--

The very first steps have allready been made with buying several figures of the 17th century.
My girlfriend has allready started painting them.
First pics can be seen here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=57

The next step for me is to build a mainframe model of my galeon at this size.
1) +2) The first two pics show a mainframe model of the USS Constitution at a scale of 1:93.
(1:93 ??? what a stupid scale! But one of the few I found at all.)
Anyway - I bought it as an example of how to build and present my own big mainframe model.
3) 4) 5) 6) Are showing the first plywoodpattern I cut besides the mainframe plan I had copied to that size with the small model on top of it, again the size relation of the pattern and the plan -
and the saw Iīm using to cut all the necessary parts of this model.

This will give me (and you) a much better insight into shipbuilding of that time.
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Last edited by disabled; Nov 29, 2012 at 07:00 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 29, 2012, 07:46 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,627 Posts
My God man! It's the size of a canoe! I'll be watching this.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 29, 2012, 11:37 AM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
gee...is this really really really it?...a truly final decision?.......if so...congratulations!!!
it will be an experience to see all that creative power you possess, focused on one final build....now's the time for your heart to start pounding, with all that excitement roaring through your veins, as your creation unfolds......uh...at least i hope so
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Nov 29, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi disabled

Watching with interest.

kind regards
Tim
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:52 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
My God man! It's the size of a canoe! I'll be watching this.
Well - not really - for now the hull itself from stem to stern is about 1.90m, hull length overall about 2.30m, overall length about 2.70m.
Hull heigth 0.76m without the latern.
Hull width 0.53m, draft hull 0.21, draft keel 0.24 - draft external keel 0.5 - 0.6m.
In that range.

Actually the hull is more of the size of a coffin. - means, without the scale decks in it I could lay down my body inside that hull/fibreglass shell.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:55 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,627 Posts
Hmmm, coffin bunks. Sounds very Royal Navy if you ask me.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:11 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Vic - no idea if there can be a "truly final decision" at all...

Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
gee...is this really really really it?...a truly final decision?.......if so...congratulations!!!
it will be an experience to see all that creative power you possess, focused on one final build....now's the time for your heart to start pounding, with all that excitement roaring through your veins, as your creation unfolds......uh...at least i hope so
...as Iīm still in the process of "excluding everything I do NOT want to build"...
Iīm still looking for a way how I can go on at all, just to make sure somehow my heart doesnīt STOP pounding...and regarding excitement...not really, as Iīm also still asking mystelf if this can be really it...finally...

...still feeling like some kind of pathfinder...unfortunately more like a BLIND pathfinder...touching around with both hands on all these walls in the dark and still hoping there finally will be a way out of this labyrinth of things that donīt make sense to me anymore...

Whatever...right now it - al least - FEELS GOOD.
It actually feels better and securer than everything I felt and tested during the whole last year.
All this blablabla - this seems to be a planet of liars...

And regarding "creative power I possess"... again, not really...Iīm just to stubborn to give up.
Last edited by disabled; Nov 30, 2012 at 01:29 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:21 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrmill View Post
Hmmm, coffin bunks. Sounds very Royal Navy if you ask me.
Well - the Royal Navy didnīt want me either...so itīs got to be a privateer...

But even a hangmat in the Royal Navy of that times can be a cosy place -
if you never had something you could call a home before...

Even the farts around you in the dark can become familiar...beans...
Old Nov 30, 2012, 01:23 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBowman View Post
Hi disabled

Watching with interest.

kind regards
Tim
Thanks, Tim
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:11 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
good luck

how much is she going to weight ?

120 pounds - 140 pounds i guess.
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:57 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucc View Post
good luck

how much is she going to weight ?

120 pounds - 140 pounds i guess.
I donīt know yet. But whatever comes up will be handled then. So for now I donīt really care. I simply want to build that size - as itīseems to be the only satisfying thing for me.

In any case - Vic has built a 13ft. "HMS Victory" in the past -> thatīs 1:25 scale of a much bigger ship - and talked about 90 lbs. internal ballast.

Compared to the hull of the Victory, mine would be about 1:30 scale, same length/width-ratio - considerably smaller therefore - and lighter as well.

Maybe Admiral Yancovitch is able to remember - and willing to share - some more informations about that 19 year old project. I then could recalculate the displacement to my size.
Last edited by disabled; Nov 30, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
correction......actually my royal william takes 80lb of ballast.....i think the victory took around 150lbs, loaded with 15lb chunks of lead, and no external keel needed, one reason possibly is because the hull was build very light for it's size, even though it was made out of oak.....the planking was quite thin.....resin on the inside and on the outside below the waterline.......but i'm afraid i don't remember much now.....
Old Nov 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yancovitch View Post
correction......actually my royal william takes 80lb of ballast.....i think the victory took around 150lbs, loaded with 15lb chunks of lead, and no external keel needed, one reason possibly is because the hull was build very light for it's size.......but i'm afraid i don't remember now.....
150 lbs.? Really?
That would be about 67.5 kg for the lead alone - I could deal with that.
Any idea of the weight of the ship itself without the lead?
I still havenīt found any relyable datas of the displacement of the Victory...

Any idea how thick the planking has been?

Anything left in your archive maybe? Pics or so that help you remember?
Would be great!
Last edited by disabled; Nov 30, 2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
i'm afraid.....nothing.....it's almost like i never built it ....i seem to be quite detached that way regarding material things.......the only things i get attached to, are present day needs....like my fruit o' the looms shorts.....happy foot socks...colored cotton t-shirts....jeans....etc.....with those, its a lifetime love affair
Old Dec 01, 2012, 03:54 AM
belgium,limburg
Joined Sep 2009
381 Posts
Disabled , you can solve this problem with water instead of lead.

When she 's on the water , you pump here hull full of water (waterbag inside the hull)
lucc is offline Find More Posts by lucc