HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:16 PM
United Kingdom, England, Southport
Joined Jan 2011
142 Posts
A used DX6i is 50 and orange receivers are 3 why not do it the right way. There is no way I would spend all that time swapping planes....
Dannyboy85 is offline Find More Posts by Dannyboy85
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2012, 12:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyboy85 View Post
A used DX6i is 50 and orange receivers are 3 why not do it the right way. There is no way I would spend all that time swapping planes....
And, these receivers are not heavy duty items - plugging and unplugging the servos a lot will eventually cause issues with the plug itself, break the pins off the board, etc...
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:10 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Solentlife is correct and says what I've said. I totally agree with all he says.

Rebinding will not help in any manner. If you use a 9x you still have to switch the Tx to the model concerned. If your Tx has switches (HK T4 or modified T6), setting them for a different model is no different from switching the 9x to the correct model (model memory) or using the computer to reprogramme the T6.

In all cases the Tx is talking to and Rx it was previously bound to. The only question is, is it saying the right things.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:38 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,170 Posts
Like a lot of newbie questions this falls into the category of, 'if you had to ask, you don't want to go there'.
If you know how to do it, you don't need to ask.
How you going to learn then? The hard way by messing it up like most of the lessons in this sport.
flydiver is online now Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by berts View Post
hobbyking 2.4ghz 6ch [hk-t6a v2]
my hobby king turnigy9x v2 has 20 model memory's, i have a RX in each plane 10 so far...
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Nov 30, 2012, 05:53 PM
20+ years of RC flying
United States, FL
Joined Aug 2012
1,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
The art of 'really trimming' a model seems to have gone ... our old ways of correcting the surfaces after a trimming flight was good and still is good practice today. I had a whole hangar of planes I flew on my 3 Tx's ....

Nigel
That is so sad but I guess I've seen it with my own eyes. My flying buddy has been flying RC for over 5 years and can't fly a trim flight on a plane by himself. And after watching me trim fly his Parkzone F4U, he asked me flat out what I was doing with the clevises on the ailerons and elevator! Once I explained, he still didn't get it and said that he just uses the transmitter to set the trims. I never did get a straight answer from him on why he needed to repeat trim flights on several of his models. Maybe he relies on the transmitter too much.

I remember the days when reversing a control direction simply meant switching to the other output arm on a servo or maybe moving a control horn to the opposite side of a rudder or something. There was no such thing as reversing a servo, so setting it up right the first time was required. I guess that's too difficult for some folks nowadays.

As for me, I now have 3 planes on the drawing/building boards and will set those planes up just like I've done in the past.
BigIron357 is online now Find More Posts by BigIron357
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:57 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfwd View Post
my hobby king turnigy9x v2 has 20 model memory's, i have a RX in each plane 10 so far...
Really interested how you have 20 memory's on a 9x ? You can have 20 Rx's bound to it - but you will still only have the standard 8 memory slots .....

The standard 9x (whether Turnigy, Imax, Eurgle or the real name FlySky) has only 8 memory slots.
The er9x I believe has 16 or maybe more.

Second the 9x doesn't have model match - means that any slot still triggers any Rx bound to the 9x.

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:58 AM
222 km/hr Parkjet flyer
Latvia / UK visits
Joined Jan 2010
8,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
Solentlife is correct and says what I've said. I totally agree with all he says.

Rebinding will not help in any manner. If you use a 9x you still have to switch the Tx to the model concerned. If your Tx has switches (HK T4 or modified T6), setting them for a different model is no different from switching the 9x to the correct model (model memory) or using the computer to reprogramme the T6.

In all cases the Tx is talking to and Rx it was previously bound to. The only question is, is it saying the right things.
Many thanks ... I was beginning to wonder if I was alone then !!

Nigel
solentlife is offline Find More Posts by solentlife
Old Dec 01, 2012, 09:59 AM
buyer of the farm
United States, FL, DeLand
Joined Mar 2009
3,933 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoghead5150 View Post
that radio has no model memory. so it will only bind to one receiver at a time.

if you had 2 planes (or 10 it doesn't matter), you could install receivers in all of them. BUT when you get ready to fly one, you will have to bind the transmitter to the receiver. then if you wanted to fly another plane, you would have to rebind the transmitter to that planes receiver.
Again, this is completely wrong advice. The transmitter doesn't bind to the receiver--the receiver binds to the transmitter. I have four receivers bound to my non-computer DX5e transmitter, Slow Stick, UM T-28, Vapor and Radian. With any of these planes, I switch on the TX, switch on the Rx, check servo direction and neutral trim, hit the throttle and fly--no binding necessary again for any plane I fly.

To repeat. It is the receiver which remembers which transmitter it listens to. This is called binding. The transmitter (with a few exceptions) has no clue and doesn't need to know which plane is bound to it.

The only thing special about model memory is that you tell the transmitter which plane you're flying and it remembers your settings for that plane. Everybody thought that was way cool until they inevitably chose the Vapor when they were flying the MiG 21. CRASH! Then the hotshot radios actually received an ID signal from the receiver to tell them what plane (or at least what receiver. If you switch the receiver from one plane to the other all bets are off) it's attached to and if you pick the wrong model the radio won't fly it.

That's it. You can bind a thousand planes to any transmitter--computer, non-computer, doesn't matter.
Rockin Robbins is offline Find More Posts by Rockin Robbins
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:04 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post

That's it. You can bind a thousand planes to any transmitter--computer, non-computer, doesn't matter.
Yup, I have both the Mini Vapor and regular Vapor bound to the same memory slot in my DX7 - saves me a memory slot, and those two planes are very similar, so it was easy to mechanically adjust them both so they agree on the trim settings.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Dec 01, 2012, 12:56 PM
United Kingdom, England, Compton
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
I have a HK T6A V2 TX and 4 planes all with HK receivers...

I just stuck a paper sticker on the back of the TX with the servo direction switch setup for each plane, and the normal trim setup.

I must say i prefer the older style trim sliders anyway.

The only problem is HK dont make a micro RX that works with thier TX. One of my planes should really have a micro RX... In the end i just took the casing of the standard HK RX, put some heat-shrink over it and changed the connector pins for right-angle ones (as i'm a dab hand with a solder sucker!). I only fitted new right-angle connectors for the connections i needed - the rest i just removed completly...fitted in the plane no problem...
keef30 is offline Find More Posts by keef30
Old Dec 01, 2012, 02:59 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Rolleston
Joined Oct 2011
990 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keef30 View Post
I have a HK T6A V2 TX and 4 planes all with HK receivers...

I just stuck a paper sticker on the back of the TX
I put the sticker on the plane near where the battery plugs in so it is seen as the plane is connected.

Quote:
with the servo direction switch setup for each plane, and the normal trim setup.
Switches on the T6A? Have you put switches on yours too? On the front like a T4A? They both use the same plastic case so the slots are there for switch fitting.

Quote:
I must say I prefer the older style trim sliders anyway.
You can trim them without looking at the screen on the Tx to see how far you have gone. Really sensible that "old" technology. Trimming by feel.
Mac50L is offline Find More Posts by Mac50L
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Motor cover and mount retention
Old Dec 02, 2012, 06:32 AM
United Kingdom, England, Compton
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac50L View Post
I put the sticker on the plane near where the battery plugs in so it is seen as the plane is connected.

Switches on the T6A? Have you put switches on yours too? On the front like a T4A? They both use the same plastic case so the slots are there for switch fitting.

You can trim them without looking at the screen on the Tx to see how far you have gone. Really sensible that "old" technology. Trimming by feel.
Sorry Its a T4A....
keef30 is offline Find More Posts by keef30